Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Dual zone thermostat question

I have the Rvcomfort.zc thermostat in our 2018 Flagstaff Super Lite 29 KSWS and can't t find an answer to my question in the instructions. Tried a search on forum but struck out also. I am wondering if I can run the second air conditioner ( in bedroom ) by itself ? At a 30 amp pedestal right now, so can only run one air at a time. Thought I would switch between units and use the bedroom unit in the daytime to reduce noise in living area. But thermostat doesn't seem to want to turn it on by itself. Ran into this over the weekend, so trying to figure it out. Thanks for any help.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/heatair...at_install.pdf

It appears you can with those. I looked up two models and they both say you can. Check this out, as it looks like all of the zc models work about the same way.

Good luck!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Thanks ben31, I'll check it out again. The living area unit is zone 1 and bedroom is zone 2. I could go to zone 1 and go thru options to get air to come on. There is no slide switch on mine just buttons. Anyway, when I went to zone 2, it would let me toggle thru the heat and cool systems but wouldn't give the cool on option. Didn't mess with it much then but I'll get more into it when I'm at the camper next. Probably me either fat- fingering something or being impatient and not waiting for display to change states. Thanks again, I'll post when I figure it out.
Happy Camping!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Thanks ben31, I'll check it out again. The living area unit is zone 1 and bedroom is zone 2. I could go to zone 1 and go thru options to get air to come on. There is no slide switch on mine just buttons. Anyway, when I went to zone 2, it would let me toggle thru the heat and cool systems but wouldn't give the cool on option. Didn't mess with it much then but I'll get more into it when I'm at the camper next. Probably me either fat- fingering something or being impatient and not waiting for display to change states. Thanks again, I'll post when I figure it out.
I should have added that after I turned cool off in zone 1 it wouldn't give the cool on option in zone 2.
Happy Camping!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

Yes you can !
Old 05-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #6

Thanks, I'll try it again when I'm back at the camper in a couple days. Maybe I was missing a step or something, probably OE!
Happy Camping!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
I have the Rvcomfort.zc thermostat in our 2018 Flagstaff Super Lite 29 KSWS and can't t find an answer to my question in the instructions. Tried a search on forum but struck out also. I am wondering if I can run the second air conditioner ( in bedroom ) by itself ? At a 30 amp pedestal right now, so can only run one air at a time. Thought I would switch between units and use the bedroom unit in the daytime to reduce noise in living area. But thermostat doesn't seem to want to turn it on by itself. Ran into this over the weekend, so trying to figure it out. Thanks for any help.
If you can't turn Zone 1 off... how about just running the temperature up real high so it will not come on... and set Zone 2 to the temperature you want in the bedroom.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

Thanks PapaE, that might just work. Turn both zones on and turn whatever zone I don't want to run way up. I can switch temps between units day or night. If nothing else works, I'll try it out. Thanks again.
Happy Camping!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

I have a Rockwood (Flagstaff twin) with dual zone thermostat, front and rear air conditioners both ducted. When watching TV I run the bedroom air (zone 2) because it is quieter in the living/kitchen area. When sleeping I run the kitchen/living air (zone 1) because that doesn't wake me when the air cycles. If it's really hot I run both, but that takes 50 amps.

Each zone can be turned off or on independently of the other
Old 05-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

Thermostats

I have a coachman 5ver with Coleman air and dual thermostat you need to program thermostat for each zone for equipment on each zone ie zone 1 gas furnace, and air conditioner zone2 air conditioner ect
royg6677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

That is what I thought it should do RFSims, but for some reason it didn't want to turn the bedroom on by itself this time. The zones are programmed correctly, the cooling on both and heating (gas furnace on z1 and electric strip on z2) all show up on the thermostat. Zone 1 will toggle on &off fine but zone 2 wouldn't come on by itself. Will be back at camper tomorrow or Friday and try it again. Just on 30 amps right now, so can just run one at a time. The last time we were on 50amps I know I toggled back and forth between them so I could cut down the noise. Maybe just a fluke, will try it again. Thanks for all replies.
Happy Camping!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Zone 1 will toggle on &off fine but zone 2 wouldn't come on by itself.
Zone 2 temp set? Possibly the zone 2 temp set to high to come on?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Finally got a chance to update. Went to camper Thursday and the thermostat did the same and wouldn't let zone 2 air cycle on again first. What it did was turn on zone 2 and it also turned on zone 1 along with 2! So I quickly switched to zone 1 and turned it off and zone 2
Happy Camping!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Finally got a chance to update. Went to camper Thursday and the thermostat did the same and wouldn't let zone 2 air cycle on again first. What it did was turn on zone 2 and it also turned on zone 1 along with 2! So I quickly switched to zone 1 and turned it off and zone 2 stayed on. Both were set on same temperature. After that first failed attempt it worked fine, I could toggle back and forth to either zone I wanted on. Can't explain that but all good now, and thanks for all the help.
Hit the wrong button on my tablet and sent reply early, oops.
Happy Camping!

Tags
thermostat