Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #41

Let no foreign poop touch my equipment!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #42

Oh no way. My own drain is enough!!!! In fact we mostly use park facilities so mostly gray water.

I did encounter a really great State Park campground host in Michigan. They had hoses out at the dump station for the Sunday Rush. Just pull up, connect and dump. That really helped move the line and get everyone on the way. She had a Tiara and wand calling herself the "Poop Princess".

Other than that, no way I would share.

Forester 2451s
Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #43
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
So I would put this out there. You loan your hose to someone. Say for some reason it separates and the other person disconnects and drives off. He sees it as you loaned him faulty equipment. Your hose, so guess who gets to cleanup. In other words, by loaning your equipment, you assume some responsibility.
I literally would have never considered this possible scenario. (And, this next part sounds snarky sarcastic- but it's a genuine inquiry.) Did you spend time thinking it up? Or is it the first thing that came to your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Guess I am different. I would assume that their hose was broken or they accidentally left it at home. With that assumption, they can borrow mine. Not too worried about it as my crap stinks just like theirs, but I guess I don't have that elitist attitude that seems to be common in RV parks.

If they drive off with it or damage it... Oh well. I went out of my way to help someone and was burned. Wouldn't be the first time or the last time.
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Basically, what I find at most dump stations, especially when there's a line up is:

A) while waiting next in line, you pull out your gear and place it close, but not in the way of the person currently dumping. Provide necessary small talk while doing so. This gets you prepped for when it's your turn.

B) after the person moves ahead, you pull up, hook up your gear and dump. During this time you again engage in small talk with the person behind who's setting out their gear like you did in step A. Also acknowledge the person in front who's pulling away.

C) as soon as your done dumping/quickly rinsing, you move your gear out of the way of the next person and then pull ahead.

D) engage in small talk when you return to get your gear, wishing them well on their journeys. Then return and stow your gear.
I think I've never dumped at a dump station. Always at a full hookup site or at home with buckets (#1 and #2 but never more than 5-10 gallons).

This is a great post and one that I wouldn't necessarily have thought to get my stuff out or even pull ahead to stow it without reading it here or witnessing it first.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

This is a great post and one that I wouldn't necessarily have thought to get my stuff out or even pull ahead to stow it without reading it here or witnessing it first.

Well, to clarify I didn't think of it either, it was something I witnessed the first time using a dump station and I've just followed suit since then. (For all 2 times I've used a dump station.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #45

like your attitude. hope we camp next to one another some time. I have worked in hospital lab with all kinds of specimens, changed baby diapers and took care of my mother so poop i poop to me. As a total newbie - never having ever used a dump station yet, I hope you are the one there when I get there so I can get help if needed.
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #46
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
How long can it take to store a hose......
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
How long can it take to store a hose......

Only 1-2 minutes, but when there's 30 rigs behind you in line, they appreciate how those 1-2 minutes per rig add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A unnamed dealer I know had a customer install solenoid operated dump valves installed on the motorhome. He said it made it cleaner and easier to dump on the road. Sent the wife out to hook up the hoses and he pressed the button.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #49

Never had anyone ask to use our hose, but someone did ask if we had an extra pair of nitrile gloves. We gladly handed a pair over. Figure that might be one less person who gets sick.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #50

Never gave it a thought, but since we never go #2 in the camper and request guests to go #2 in the state camp grounds,the hoses are relatively clean and odor free. I would have to decline to allow the borrow based on relatively clean hoses and I would like to keep them that way.
JB

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #51
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
Never gave it a thought, but since we never go #2 in the camper and request guests to go #2 in the state camp grounds,the hoses are relatively clean and odor free. I would have to decline to allow the borrow based on relatively clean hoses and I would like to keep them that way.
JB
I guess that's my next question- this is very common among RVers as far as I can see. If you're willing to pee in it, why not poop in it?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #52

Yeah, I don't get all the sqeamishness about using the toilet for whatever. That's like me asking my guests in my house to please not use it for #2 because I have to clean the bowl.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
I would say no, but might rethink it if lacking a hose the guy just lets loose all over the pavement. I've seen people lay the end of the slinky next to the hole and let er rip. Next time I might say yes.

I had a guy do that at the county campground in Aransas Pass, TX!! IB McGee Park. I about puked!! Thank God I was done and pulling away. I almost said something, but couldn't breathe, let alone speak.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #54

I havent read the last 5 pages so maybe someone else came up with this.I would tell them"I guess you could,but you have to know I have hep "c" My MIL did that*25 yrs ago on a rafting trip when someone wanted to borrow her drinking cup but she said she had syphiliss (sp?)
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #55
Cyber Phrenologist

On the other hand I remember going on our third trip out, sitting in line for the dump station. The idiot in front of me lines up his dump valve more or less even with the hole and then... pulls his valve and dumps a week worth of "stuff" all over the dump station.

My son and I dive back into the truck and put the A/C on recirculate (It's a humid August morning in Georgia)

The aforementioned idiot then tries to clean it all up with a short piece of garden hose the state has left at the dump station. And he does all this wearing sandals and no gloves.

MY GOD MAN! DO YOU NEED A HOSE! I HAVE ONE! JUST ASK!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #56

Flybob, were you in the service? When we flew on C-130 Hercules, Cargo Aircraft, that was the rule, First one that uses the Honey bucket was the one that had to empty! Even when we camp with friends and all leave together, everyone uses their own hose.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #57

Dump station etiquette

[QUOTE=ependydad;1189863]I literally would have never considered this possible scenario. (And, this next part sounds snarky sarcastic- but it's a genuine inquiry.) Did you spend time thinking it up? Or is it the first thing that came to

Well, not the first thing but close. I am a piping and equipment designer in a papermill and as I design or do mill inspections I am looking for things that could get people hurt.
I am always asking 'What is the worst that could happen?' I try to see the worst and correct that condition. My DW thinks it is a curse. So, at the dump station ' what is the worst that could happen?'

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #58

I would loan my sewer equipment, they really should have their own.

I guess if someone ever asks, I will ask if their system is ASME, ASTM, or Metric.
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I guess that's my next question- this is very common among RVers as far as I can see. If you're willing to pee in it, why not poop in it?
There is typically no e coli in pee but we have pretty decent bathrooms where we camp so why not?? Pee has much less odor and it runs right out with no chunks AND since we're old house-boaters from way back- we also use a waste basket for the TP. Thus no TP stuck to tank walls or inside dump hose. And there is no argument about what brand of TP to use.
Purely personal choice. One day we'll be at a CG with "ugh" toilets and we'll use our own. Just haven't been there yet...
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote