RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Marshmallow Expert

Dump station faux pas?

So, we were on our way home from our maiden voyage in our new TT (which was fantastic!), and needed to dump our tanks. Being that it was my first time doing so, I was nonchalantly watching other folks and it looked easy enough. The guy in front of me with a toy hauler pulled up to the dump station a bit close to the drain, so I figured that he must have a short sewer hose. Nope, NO HOSE: he put on rubber gloves and just opened the valve, letting the crap flow!!! He then grabbed the rinse hose, squirted down the area, took off his gloves and drove away.

Now, I know that I am new at the dump station, but that seems a bit wrong. Does anyone else do this? Is this an acceptable way of dumping black water? It "wreaked" of bad behavior!

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #2

Not acceptable..
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #3

Depends on how it's built. I've seen some built so that doing it that way would work. I would still probably use a short hose as I just don't want to smell it or get splattered
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely not sanitary, legal, or acceptable behavior. Anyone else see the irony in this guy using gloves to dump all over the ground?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Definitely not sanitary, legal, or acceptable behavior. Anyone else see the irony in this guy using gloves to dump all over the ground?
I don't see a issue with using gloves,but I have seen Goof Balls throw disposable gloves down the sewer hole! I ask him why he did that and his reply was "The Campground Didn't put a Trash Can by the Dump Station! Takes all kinds and they "Reproduce"! Youroo!!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
You can't teach class. Some have it...some don't. (X2 on the fact they reproduce...sadly)

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #7

Itís completely unacceptable to dump without a sewer hose or other connection going into the sewer.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
Retired

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy "you can fix ugly but you can't fix stupid"
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Dumb...

One thing that I have noticed, however, is that retail establishments that offer free dump station use (mostly RV retailers) leave a hose connected to their dump station. If you think about it, this shortens the line immensely since there is no getting a hose out, connecting it, dumping and then flushing it and re-stowing it in the coach.

I bet that shortens the time per RV by more that 75%.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While I agree it's not the most sanitary... there are several campgrounds around here where the dump station is built with curbing surrounding the dump port and the concrete trough slopes towards it. They are built to be used with NO hose. There is a sign posted that reads... Please rinse the area clean after dumping.

That said, I always use a hose but maybe this was one of those kinds of dump stations?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
While I agree it's not the most sanitary... there are several campgrounds around here where the dump station is built with curbing surrounding the dump port and the concrete trough slopes towards it. They are built to be used with NO hose. There is a sign posted that reads... Please rinse the area clean after dumping.

That said, I always use a hose but maybe this was one of those kinds of dump stations?
Picker our Dump stations around here are constructed the same as you describe with the Curb! BUT they are NOT built that way for "NO Hose Use" and the Signs/Notices reflect that! Maybe the mere fact the "Sewer Discharge Area" is/has been called "DUMP Station" people use it this way! Youroo!!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I don't see a issue with using gloves,but I have seen Goof Balls throw disposable gloves down the sewer hole! I ask him why he did that and his reply was "The Campground Didn't put a Trash Can by the Dump Station! Takes all kinds and they "Reproduce"! Youroo!!
I've seen the same thing, AFTER I try to figure out why the drain is plugged and not working.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Marshmallow Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

No it wasn't that kind, the hole was vertically built into the base of the curb with a small trough running toward it. I have seen the type that you are talking about, but always assumed that you should use a hose for sanitary reasons (not to mention hiding the visual grossness of it). Maybe the one I used was designed for that purpose, but is sure wasn't pleasant to watch.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Site Team

The box constructed around some dump stations is there to contain accidental spills not for "no hose dumping" .

I've seen people throw their gloves in the dump station drain several times, when asked they usually say I don't want them in the RV and it can't hurt anything. Usually the same people that wonder why camping rates keep going up or complain when dump station is closed for repairs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #15

I don't really care if the folks in front of me use a dump hose or not. The dumps I frequent have a basin around them and the hole opening is below the basin so anything in the basin drains well. As long as it is hosed off and ready for me to use, I'm good.

And I've never understood the gloves thing. I have a friend who dresses for a spacewalk anytime he has to dump any tank. Soap and water work fine for me.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #16

The dump stations with the curbing around them and the sloping to the hole is that way as a containment for an accidental spill not for use with no hose. And the rinse down sign is there to tell you to clean up when you are finished . I guess to say it saves time so you don't need to clean the hose is just like sating ( why wipe yourself , your only going to **** again ) Myself I will always use the hose to keep it as clean as possible and not need to look at it and smell all that stuff. I would not want to be the guy that had the site near the dump station and had to smell that no hose dump.
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkey2 View Post
The dump stations with the curbing around them and the sloping to the hole is that way as a containment for an accidental spill not for use with no hose. And the rinse down sign is there to tell you to clean up when you are finished .
Im just playing devil's advocate as I always use a hose, but the above is just an interpretation of the process. Someone else might look at it entirely different. I've never seen a sign saying you had to use a dump hose, and I can't see where it would be illegal as you are not dumping it on the ground.

Next time I'm alone at a dump station I might just try it. Sure would be nice to not have to drag out the dump hose
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

And I've never understood the gloves thing. I have a friend who dresses for a spacewalk anytime he has to dump any tank. Soap and water work fine for me.

I couldn't agree more. I think gloves give a false sense of cleanliness to people who use them.

I have a friend who uses gloves over and over again. Just throws them in the cargo area.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I couldn't agree more. I think gloves give a false sense of cleanliness to people who use them.

I have a friend who uses gloves over and over again. Just throws them in the cargo area.
LOL!!!! Now that's funny. My friend puts on a plastic apron, rubber gloves that go past the elbow, and rubber galoshes. He actually had a face shield but even his wife laughed at that one. When's he's done, he cleans everything in a tub of Clorox water. We never wait for them on travel day. I'm going to have to look for pictures
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #20

Don't know why, but I have visions of Robin Williams in "RV"......

We did see a similar thing happen last year. We were in line waiting to use the dump station and the guy ahead of us takes off the sewer cap and it came gushing out! I looked at the DW and said "Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" He says he thinks he forgot to close the black water valve, Ya think????
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote