Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #21

We were behind somebody once who was the exact opposite, probably took him less than 2 minutes. No gloves, no rinsing, no wiping, just hooked up the hose, dumped, threw the hose in a storage compartment, hopped back in the truck and drove away. My wife kind of threw up in her mouth a little watching it.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
We were behind somebody once who was the exact opposite, probably took him less than 2 minutes. No gloves, no rinsing, no wiping, just hooked up the hose, dumped, threw the hose in a storage compartment, hopped back in the truck and drove away. My wife kind of threw up in her mouth a little watching it.
Maybe he only had gray water... You don't really know.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #23

Maybe the "ocd" guy was new to camping, to his RV, and/or was just taught incorrectly.

Another possibility is, considering our society has become such that everything is scary, unsafe, uncomfortable, etc., he may believe that he or everybody will die if he doesn't properly clean everything.

Other possibilties: Maybe the RV was borrowed and he was just being very thorough. Maybe it was rented and he didn't want to be charged out the wazoo. Maybe he is a geek and was over-engineering the whole thing.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
Maybe the "ocd" guy was new to camping, to his RV, and/or was just taught incorrectly.

Another possibility is, considering our society has become such that everything is scary, unsafe, uncomfortable, etc., he may believe that he or everybody will die if he doesn't properly clean everything.

Other possibilties: Maybe the RV was borrowed and he was just being very thorough. Maybe it was rented and he didn't want to be charged out the wazoo. Maybe he is a geek and was over-engineering the whole thing.
True, but he also had to see the other lines and all the other folks waiting....... On him...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #25

Gosh, I must lead a very sheltered life.

I have not experienced or seen anything close to the stuff you guys describe.

Hope my luck doesn't run out.

Mike
Old 07-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #26
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It would have been nice if there was just one big holding line and then when you got to the head of the line you just took the next available.
That's the best solution without a doubt.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #27

We were leaving a state park last year. There was 2 dump lanes that were both occupied. Several other campers were waiting in between the lanes and which ever lane opened up first, the next person in line would take that spot. Things were moving along smoothly and I was waiting for my turn. When the lane on the right opened up, I started to move when all of the sudden the guy behind me swings around me & takes the spot (some old guy). My wife & I just looked at each other and shook our heads. The guys wife got out and walked back to our truck. She apologized for her husbands bad behavior and said he is a very impatient man and when he sees an opportunity, he takes it. She apologized again and walked back to her husband where they were apparently arguing and pointing back in our direction. There are all kinds of people in this world I guess.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #28

I have also been lucky to not get behind one of those guys - but a friend of mine pulled out of his site, we were about 30 minutes behind him in leaving our site. I pulled into the right side dump as someone was just pulling out when I noticed my friend was waiting on a Class C at the left side dump (the left side dump has to be approached from the opposite direction to line up your valves so i had not seen him before i pulled in. The Class C pulled out just as i was getting my stuff out and my friend finally pulled in - boy were they complaining about that wait.....
if it looks like a long line, i do have the ability to dump at home.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
Old 07-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #29

I had a Tiffin DP before 😄 upgrading to a 5er again 😄. I joined FMCA for 1 year as I saw that ‘tude with so many MOHO owners. Many looked down on owners of towables. The worst at times were those with a 25 year old gasser that needed a nap in a junkyard. 1 stay at a beautiful MOHO only resort was 1 too many as 50% of those there had the same ‘tude.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I had a Tiffin DP before 😄 upgrading to a 5er again 😄. I joined FMCA for 1 year as I saw that ‘tude with so many MOHO owners. Many looked down on owners of towables. The worst at times were those with a 25 year old gasser that needed a nap in a junkyard. 1 stay at a beautiful MOHO only resort was 1 too many as 50% of those there had the same ‘tude.
It would be unfair of me to say or think ALL of those who have large DP's, etc, are like that. It does seem that many do have that 'tude though.

What made this guy most noticeable to me was the fact that when I pulled in line behind him he had apparently been there for a while. Long enough to assemble his discharge equipment (elbow at discharge, elbow into dump station hole, hose). It was also apparent that his tank was draining or even drained.

From that time forward it took another 3/4 of an hour to complete the job.

Who knows, maybe he had a really long handled toilet brush and was scrubbing out the inside of the tank through the toilet

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #31

I tend not to make excuses for that behavior, either at the dump station or arrogance toward others. The dump station deal is just plain being self centered and inconsiderate. Arrogance is ignorance in my book.
I hope I’m wrong, but with so many people getting rvs now who haven’t learned the lessons about the do and don’t aspects I suspect we’ll see more inappropriate behavior in our future. Hope not.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #32

Really funny this thread should come up now. Just about a month ago I stayed at one of the non-sewer sites at my favorite state park. I pulled into the dump and as soon as I pulled the black tank valve I stood up and leaned against the MH (I was born lazy). Just then the arrogant guy Who pulled in behind me comes up and asks if I’m going to use the dump or just stand there. I pointed to the clear hose elbow and told him I was already dumping. He then told me to hurry up because he was in a hurry.

Y’all know what happened next. Normally I just do a quick dump and go which takes less than four minutes. I do the final cleanout at home. Well, 15 minutes later after all was done and stored I had to walk back to that guy to tell him it will be a few minutes more because my right side level jacks were not working and wouldn’t retract (I put them down manually because the dump site is very unlevel).

I thought he was going to have a heart attack because he was so mad. He unhooked his toad so he could back up to pull into the other site. As soon as he stopped in the other dump station my jacks somehow miraculously started working and I drove away. Unfortunately I couldn’t see his reaction to my leaving.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #33

Dump Station lack of consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Gosh, I must lead a very sheltered life.

I have not experienced or seen anything close to the stuff you guys describe.

Hope my luck doesn't run out.

Mike

I doubt this happens often, but when it does, some folks become really upset (or even angry). Sadly, the dump stations are where everybody is in more of a hurry than everybody else... or something.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Really funny this thread should come up now. Just about a month ago I stayed at one of the non-sewer sites at my favorite state park. I pulled into the dump and as soon as I pulled the black tank valve I stood up and leaned against the MH (I was born lazy). Just then the arrogant guy Who pulled in behind me comes up and asks if I’m going to use the dump or just stand there. I pointed to the clear hose elbow and told him I was already dumping. He then told me to hurry up because he was in a hurry.

Y’all know what happened next. Normally I just do a quick dump and go which takes less than four minutes. I do the final cleanout at home. Well, 15 minutes later after all was done and stored I had to walk back to that guy to tell him it will be a few minutes more because my right side level jacks were not working and wouldn’t retract (I put them down manually because the dump site is very unlevel).

I thought he was going to have a heart attack because he was so mad. He unhooked his toad so he could back up to pull into the other site. As soon as he stopped in the other dump station my jacks somehow miraculously started working and I drove away. Unfortunately I couldn’t see his reaction to my leaving.
I'm impatient (my DW would say). I like to get 'er done and go. But I chuckled at your 'delay'. The other guy was a jerk and I have been known to purposely slow down for spite (have never done at dump station)and to give me the warm fuzzies. There are jerks everywhere and the ones who think their time is the only one that matters. I do have to say for the most part campers are very considerate of others (unless they drink too much beer!)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
I tend not to make excuses for that behavior, either at the dump station or arrogance toward others. The dump station deal is just plain being self centered and inconsiderate. Arrogance is ignorance in my book.
I hope I’m wrong, but with so many people getting rvs now who haven’t learned the lessons about the do and don’t aspects I suspect we’ll see more inappropriate behavior in our future. Hope not.
You mean like the "thirty something" person who pulled the valve for his gray water tank then drove out of the Forest Service campground as he left for home? He had one of those 3" to 3/4" hose outlet caps and at least he was only dumping a small stream as he left. And no, it was no accident.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieRV View Post
I'm impatient (my DW would say). I like to get 'er done and go. But I chuckled at your 'delay'. The other guy was a jerk and I have been known to purposely slow down for spite (have never done at dump station)and to give me the warm fuzzies. There are jerks everywhere and the ones who think their time is the only one that matters. I do have to say for the most part campers are very considerate of others (unless they drink too much beer!)
You reminded me of a trip home from a trip last fall. I pulled into a gas station just off the Interstate and filled up. Went inside to pick up some snacks and pay. Turned out it was exactly AT shift change so the cashier was not at the counter. A few minutes later the new cashier arrived and before I could pay some young gal came in and shouted "Who has the travel trailer at pump # ??."

I said I do and I'll be there in a minute as soon as I pay. Gal responded "Well hurry it up, you're holding everyone up" (there were 6 pumps and I was only blocking one side of two) The Cashier told the gal to "chill out sister" he just spent close to $100 on fuel. How much do you think you can squeeze into your VW Jetta?". She then told me "you take all the time you want. Are you sure you don't need to do some more shopping?".

Absolutely priceless and I didn't even have to say much at all.

I had everything I needed so I paid and then walked normally out to my truck and left not hurrying, not delaying. I think I got a "Freeway Salute" as I left from the gal in the VW.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
I doubt this happens often, but when it does, some folks become really upset (or even angry). Sadly, the dump stations are where everybody is in more of a hurry than everybody else... or something.
Maybe they just found out that their "stuff" really does stink and they want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #38

Please remember to never put your hand in the Frito bag after you dump until you've washed your hands. That can really irritate your host.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #39

Thats my luck. I always get behind that guy. I usually try to time my leaving well before checkout or on a weekday that is less busy but I cannot always do that. Most dumpstations I go to have at least two slots and frequently I am able to avoid any lines.

I can be done in 10min with most of that being waiting on the tank to drain but I take my time if no one is waiting. If there is a line I will move up and clean my stuff better before putting it away after finishing the dump. End of the season I get a full hook up site and take my sweet time. I am not paranoid about it but I don't like things to smell bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #40
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I sure hope that person wasn't a regular here.
I hope the person is a regular here. Maybe read this post. But the inconsiderate person will not change.
Closed Thread