Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #41
The Driver

Forum Rules Question

If a photo of the RV had been included in the post, with a visible license plate number, would this be a forum violation?
Old 07-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #42

This seems to be a touchy topic even pre-COVID. I am in the group that no matter what, I always pick the slowest line. In everything in my life. I'm also in the group that as a courtesy to others who are waiting to dump, when it is my turn, I hit it and get it, while being careful, sanitary and safe, and get out of the way. I wear gloves, connect securely, flush fully my hose without using 1000 gallons of water and then stow my dump hose, elbow, etc., quickly and safely, remove gloves and use a sanitizing wipe or hand sanitizer on ME and then pull out of the way. My hose and connectors can always dry at home (I know, some people's RV is their home but the hose and connectors can dry elsewhere later on regardless).

I, too, on more than one occasion have been stuck behind someone whom I deem inconsiderate that is not only dumping, but doing a black tank flush. This has occurred when there is a SINGLE lane to sit it and wait to be able to access one or if I'm lucky, two dump stations at a park. And I've had 2-3 campers in front of me and a line too long to count of campers behind me all waiting to dump just like me. Once in the line, you are stuck.

That being said, I think a small amount of what I see as common courtesy and sense can go a really looooong way in keeping the line moving. I am not and would never advocate for someone having to rush and be unsafe or unhealthy when dumping, but I also cannot advocate for those folks who take 30-45+ minutes to dump.

We were leaving a very popular and busy state park once and there are only 2 dumps stations. There was a ranger who literally was at the dump station just to keep things moving because of the huge line of campers waiting to dump. I realize that was all pre-COVID and things may never look the same at a campground again, but the ranger acting as a supervisor and moving people along (politely and safely, I might add) is something I might not have the benefit of experiencing again in the near future. It truly helped to keep people calm knowing that "that guy" wasn't up ahead holding up the line because he needed to do a black tank flush right now when there were 20+ campers lined up to dump.

On several other occasions, I have stayed at generally speaking, state parks where there is a permanent dump hose attached at the dump station. I have found that having a permanent dump hose (attached correctly and fully operational) available truly speeds up the dump process as well. Assuming things are working right, that is an option I have appreciated and found very helpful. If I were able to dump at home, I would, just to avoid the hassle that has occurred more than once of an extensive wait at the dump station.

One thing I've learned is that at any park I stay in, if the park offers full hook up sites and regardless of whether I was in a full-hook up site or not, is to pull into a vacant full hook up site, dump and leave. It is 100% hassle and stress free, requires no waiting for boneheads who are (again in my opinion, inconsiderate) and it is a service I have paid for as it is offered elsewhere in a public space in the park but I can dump at my convenience and go, rather than end my trip angry and frustrated.

Just my thoughts on this somewhat touchy subject.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
Old 07-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #43

I've had the experience of waiting what would be a six RV line on the right side. Seeing upon our original arrival that there was a incoming dump point on the other side I maneuvered and utilized that lane (no one was using). A bit different but like others I believe in using what the park offers. Maybe the folks behind the first person thought it was reserved for those incoming or couldn't maneuver based on size. Others quickly followed my lead. These sites are for dumping. Cleaning thoroughly which I agree can or should be done later if current conditions for those in the same situation as you can be done later. I understand newbies, rentals, etc. Much like Golf, learn the etiquette and let others play through. If you feel you have been deliberately taken advantaged of by other disrespectful folks please take out your frustrations in another venue. I agree it sucks but those behind you are most likely not those who caused your inconvenience.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #44

Sounds like the forum needs a sticky of dump disasters.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #45

Still not convinced on the 10 minute rule being talked about to simply dump and get out. It's not feasible for me. I wont take 30 minutes but probably closer to 15 or 20.

Didnt know about the 10 minute rule before this.

My favorite spot is a COE campground without sewer.
Guess I'll get to the dump station a lot sooner to avoid lines or just pay the $15 near home. It's not about free or paying, I dont want to aggravate anyone but want to dump a cleaned out system and have a hose that's been more than rinsed by stinky gray water.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 07-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #46

When we dump at a dump station I use the same procedure as at a site. Only I pick up the pace. Takes me around 15 minutes, around 20 minutes at a site. I use 2 five gallon buckets to flush out the black tank and then 1 each in each grey tank. I fill the buckets as the black tank is draining. The 2 get dumped in the black tank to push out any remaining solids. I go out and close the black valve. Pull the greys. I am filling the buckets as I do this. Then 1 bucket in each grey. Then out to close the valves and fill 1 final bucket to add about 2 gallons water in black tank and about 1 gallon in each grey. We actually have a 3rd grey for the outside kitchen, but that does not get emptied at a dump station. I think I am more though than some who take longer. I treat dumping at the dump station like a NASCAR pit stop!! Just no flying lug nuts or crap! LMAO
Old 07-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #47

Wonít put up with this crap

I have been an RV owner for a long time. I have two pet peeves. Generators are inconsiderate people at dump stations. I have 3 tanks to dump and never take more than 10 minutes to do a thorough job. If no one is behind me I can take my time and maybe spend 15 minutes. The issue is the attitude! These dummies that take forever will always look up and clearly see you are waiting and instead of indicating they know you are there they act like they donít see you and then deliberately slow walk everything they are doing.
I have had to get out of my rig and explain where I might have to store their slinky if they donít hurry and that has worked every time.
You donít want to be that idiot in front of me!
Take all day if you are not holding someone up, otherwise do the simple task and get down the road.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #48

I don't think there is any "10 minute rule". I have no problem with someone taking more as long as they aren't dilly-dallying. It aks whatever time it takes for a tank to empty. Same for a couple buckets for flush.

For those that use various accessories, what's wrong with a quick rinse, toss in a plastic tote, then wash then at home as someone earlier mentioned. Or sanitize while not parked in the dump space.

Personally I wouldn't get upset if the person ahead at least gives me the impression they are at least movjng forward with the task.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #49

I canít dump and rinse in 10 minutes. The ten minute rule is made up.
I think the standard person takes 20-30 minutes.
I hate waiting just like any person, but I rather see someone do a clean job and not leave a mess.
I had several times where people just dumped with out a hose and toilet paper clumps was left on the slab around the drain. It took me 15-20 minutes just to clean up the mess before dumping my RV.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #50

Here's a link of the suggested way to dump. Camping world has similar steps.

Neither say anything about disregarding any steps if the dump station is busy - although I have read that in other instructions just not mentioned in the attached or Camping World.

The link says you can accomplish the steps in 15 minutes or less. That seems aggressive to me. Some steps like getting your hose out and putting it away aren't mentioned.

I like doing things right the first time, rework is inefficient and more costly in the long run. We used to have a saying at work that management never gives us the time and money to do things right the first time but they always find the time and money to fix fix fix.

https://rvshare.com/blog/how-to-dump-waste-tanks/

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #51
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I hate waiting just like any person, but I rather see someone do a clean job and not leave a mess...
I hope the person in line behind me thinks as you do. I wonít dilly dally, but it wonít be 10 minutes. I have no idea where that limit comes from.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
You are right, there is no 10 minute rule.
But if it always takes you 20 to 30 minutes, and there is a line, then you are 'that guy' and I will come up and politely ask if I can help you speed things up.

We frequently travel in a group into the backwoods for weeks. When we come out, we all form a line at our favorite truck stop dump station. We all take 10 minutes or less and we don't share hoses. We don't rinse tanks, backflush, or hook up the tank flush. Just hook up the sewer hose and open the valves. We do rinse the sewer hose for a very short time before storing. We then pull out and usually park in the lot and use the pump and fresh tank to put a little water and chemicals back in the tank.
There are usually other folks also there, so it's not uncommon to have 6-8 RVs lined up. If they all took as long as you, the last one in line could be there 4 hours!
If I'm in an RV park, or at my house, I might take an hour to backflush and rinse. But then, there is nobody waiting on me.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 07-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #53

Hi,

Thinking on this, I would say I am in the 10-15 minute range -- probably closer to 10 most days.

I dump black first, then while the gray is running I fit in a quick, short black flush. The slowdown for me is my gray pipe's size -- those two tanks simply take a lot more time to empty through one much smaller line. If my gray tanks are nearly full, that would be what pushes me toward the 15 minute mark.

And as some folks here probably know, there are days you can sit a long time in a BLM long term line in Quartzite. Once I had 18 vehicles ahead of me for a two lane dump station at La Posa.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 07-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #54

Lots of good storied and tip/tricks above to keep in mind. Since we just bought our first TT in Feb I'll try not to frustrate anyone lol

KE8SDQ
Old 07-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #55

It isn't just dump station people are inconsiderate. Seems like way to many have a "It is all about me" attitude. Idiots playing an electric music instrument at 2:30a, dogs owners leaving they yappers behind in a canvas popup while they go to an all day event. Dog owners letting their mutts pee and crap everywhere with no clean up. One guy next to me had headlights bulbs on his RV shining on my rig at 1:30a. Other leave their outside radio on all day while gone.

Two weeks ago I went to a fueling station to gas up my RV. The guy in front in a car just stayed and stayed and didn't move. Having trouble paying for his gas, buying or cashing in a lottery ticket? No waited over 5 to 7 minutes, then the vehicle owner get out of his car to fuel up. What was he doing while I waited in line? He was sitting at the pump apparently on his phone.

Some people are just A%%$%#s!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You are right, there is no 10 minute rule.
But if it always takes you 20 to 30 minutes, and there is a line, then you are 'that guy' and I will come up and politely ask if I can help you speed things up.
I think that the actual time will truly depend on the tank size(s).

If I were behind a huge coach that might have 100 gallon holding tankS I'd expect them to take longer.

Black tanks dump through a 3" pipe. Gray through a 1-1/2" pipe. Only logical that a large gray tank could take much longer to empty.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-OH View Post
Lots of good storied and tip/tricks above to keep in mind. Since we just bought our first TT in Feb I'll try not to frustrate anyone lol
Being new at this, just tell the person in line behind you that you are a novice and I'll wager they'll be patient. Maybe even come up and share any tips to make the process easier for you the next time.

Just remember that even the most experienced here were one time "Noobs" and if they're honest, will admit that most of their knowledge came from others helping them.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #58

When I dump and there is ANYONE in line behind me. Its just dump and go...no black tank flush.

If there is any kind of line and I am on my way home, I don't wait. I just bring it home and use my macerator pump. I can take all the time I want.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #59

The dump station is to dump the tanks, not sanitize them. 10 minutes is more than adequate for that. But since many seem oblivious to courtesy, including many here from their own responses, I rarely dump at the exit and just drive home and dump into my sanitary sewer.

It ain't just at dump sites that oblividiots congregate. They routinely leave their cars in front of the gas pumps blocking the lane while they go for snacks, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The dump station is to dump the tanks, not sanitize them. 10 minutes is more than adequate for that. But since many seem oblivious to courtesy, including many here from their own responses, I rarely dump at the exit and just drive home and dump into my sanitary sewer.

It ain't just at dump sites that oblividiots congregate. They routinely leave their cars in front of the gas pumps blocking the lane while they go for snacks, etc.

-- Chuck
One benefit to doing as highlighted above is that the contents of the black tank are thoroughly liquified from the motion during the drive.

2004 Nissan Titan
Closed Thread