Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
We were behind somebody once who was the exact opposite, probably took him less than 2 minutes. No gloves, no rinsing, no wiping, just hooked up the hose, dumped, threw the hose in a storage compartment, hopped back in the truck and drove away. My wife kind of threw up in her mouth a little watching it.
That was probably me! Except I have to unhook from my black and shower grey water connection and pull forward a few feet to then drain my kitchen sink grey water tank. As soon as I am back in my tow vehicle, I hit the hand sanitizer.

I was waiting for a motorhome to dump in front of me one time and the guy did the same thing. Took him all of 5 minutes for the whole evolution and when he was done he looked at me and did the hands wiping together motion, waved and was in his rig and pulling forward. I thought about sticking my head out the window and yelling at him, "Oh yeah! Just watch this pit stop!"
Old 07-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I apologize to the Op I didn't realize he was in a hurry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
LOL!!! Good one. Made me chuckle.......
Fair enough. Next time I'll remember to have my lunch packed before I get in line

Something just happened here at my house that made me think of this guy I waited behind. How some people have no real sense of time.

My neighbor sent me a letter last September telling me that our shared back yard fence really needed replacing. We agreed to split the cost and he gave "His Guy" the go ahead to replace the fence. This was Sept 2019.

Time passed and I asked my neighbor when the work was planned to start. He said "just after the Holidays. Thanksgiving passed, Christmas passed, Ground Hog Day passed. No work.

Then one day around Easter the "guy" showed up and knocked down some fence sections. A couple weeks later one was done but not my fence. Sometime around Memorial day there was a flurry of activity and suddenly my neighbor had both of his front fences on each side of his house finished (less one gate of the pair) and all but one section of my shared fence was finished. One section not finished, I guess so the "guy" could pass through from side to side while working on it.

No work in June, and up to today. Today an NEW crew came in (two guys this time) and started on the fourth side of fencing.

What's this got to do with RV's and Dump stations?

Just makes me glad the guy who started the fence project doesn't own the Coach that was in front of me at the dump station. I could still be there come Christmas.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #83

Your only problem is, your like me. Always pick the wrong lane.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #84
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelt View Post
Your only problem is, your like me. Always pick the wrong lane.
If you would like the lane (or line at the DMV) to start moving really fast...

...get in a different lane (or line).
Old 07-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #85

While I'm Waiting ...

When I am next in line, and there are more lining up behind me, I sometimes haul out what I need and put it off to the side behind the RV ahead of me. Makes my work go faster, but also lets them know we don't have all day. Some neighborly small talk seems to help. Never had a problem when doing this.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #86

I have an honest question....

I read on various threads about people using wands pushed in through the toilet to flush their black tanks with. Do people really do this at public dump stations where there is someone waiting behind them? I know if I was waiting behind them and they fished out this wand thing and disappeared inside their RV with it, I might get a little annoyed.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #87

USmc0311,

It's best just to move on. You are not alone in your observation

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #88

Where do rest areas have dump stations. I have never heard of this in Virginia? How would you find out?
Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #89

Dallasrules,

Ohio Turnpike has dump stations. They have 2 or 3 overnite rv areas in each direction, a dozen or so electric hookups in each. Drinking water available too.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 07-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Where do rest areas have dump stations. I have never heard of this in Virginia? How would you find out?
Most of the rest areas in Washington, and several Oregon have dump stations

Washington: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/safe...umping-station

Oregon: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Rest...-Dump-Stations

And a pile in California, too: California RV Dump Stations | RV Sanitation Stations at Rest Areas | CA

I just google searched "which rest areas in Washington have RV dump stations"

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 07-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I have an honest question....

I read on various threads about people using wands pushed in through the toilet to flush their black tanks with. Do people really do this at public dump stations where there is someone waiting behind them? I know if I was waiting behind them and they fished out this wand thing and disappeared inside their RV with it, I might get a little annoyed.
Some people do this if theres a place to hook up a hose.

At the highway rest areas i've stopped at unless the bathroom is near the dump washdown hose and has a window, best you can do is put water in a pail and dump down the toilet or stan there with your foot on the pedal.

To me the bucket makes more sense as several gallons suddenly hitting the "crap cone" has a good chance of washing it away.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #92

Yes they do. In my earlier post, before I confronted the offender, he had pulled a hose through a window and was flushing every tank he had. Before I pulled up the guy in front of me said he had already waiting over 15 minutes and the guy didn’t show any sign that he was concerned that someone was waiting on him. When I showed up the guy was inside long enough to have had lunch. When he finally came out to pull the valve he looked up and saw all of us standing there patiently but showing that we were getting fed up. He again didn’t show any sign of concern for anyone but himself. If you are a person who has been to more than a few dump stations you know what is normal and reasonable. This guy was clearly sending a message that his interests and time was all that mattered.
When I finally decided it was either someone confronted him or we all were going be there all day.
I asked him how much longer he thought he was going to need to get done because the line of rigs waiting on him was getting long. He said I’m here and I will take as long as I want to. I then changed his mind. I would do it again. There’s no excuse for being inconsiderate of other people.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It's amazing how some are either oblivious to their surroundings or feel so entitled they don't care whether or not they're holding up others with their OCD behavior.

My story:

Wednesday I was returning from a short trip and since our local Wastewater Treatment Plant recently closed their dump station I went to a nearby rest area on the Interstate to dump (an extra 10 miles round trip). This rest area has three lanes for dumping and all were occupied when I arrived so I did what most people would do, I picked the lane I thought would clear first, behind a nice Georgetown coach. The owner had his hose deployed and it looked like he was merely waiting for the last dribbles to go down the hose. Other lanes were just starting.

Boy, was I wrong. People in lane on left and right got with the program and dumped, flushed, and left. Person in front of me eventually came out of his coach, "milked" the hose a few times, disconnected, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, using the push button water supply. Then drained the hose by holding it up in the air for what seemed like forever.

Meanwhile lanes on left and right had new "dumpers" in them and were getting things done with normal efficiency.

Back to the lane I'm in, the owner of the Georgetown carefully stowed his hose and then proceeded to not just rinse the adapter elbows, he also carefully wiped each with a Clorox disinfecting wipe, making sure he got every part of the surfaces (I've seen baby bottoms wiped quicker during a diaper change with 'baby wipes"). Once the elbows were clean and had dried in the sun, he placed them inside a plastic bag and into a plastic tote which he stowed in a compartment.

When I saw the tote go into the storage compartment I thought "Oh goody, it's my turn. Not so fast, the coach sat there, sat there, sat there, and sat there.

Back to lane one and lane three. Lane one cleared (that's two that dumped since I arrived) and lane three had a fresh customer. I got out of my truck, walked back to see if I was clear, then backed up and pulled into the empty lane one. Out with the hose, connected, valve open, draining. The Coachman FINALLY started moved out of the center dump lane.

I finished dumping and left.

Total wait time, 45 minutes or so. Total dumping time? Maybe 10 minutes.

I was proud of myself. I sat there patiently waiting and observing. I didn't open the window and shout that he should hurry things along, this was a dump station, not a full hookups site.

I sure hope that person wasn't a regular here.
Not surprising. Amazes me how inconsiderate others are.
Continued they're inconsiderate or not thinking.
Just some of the many examples:

Paper towels thrown on the floor next to the trash can.
Gassing the car at a convenience store then going inside leaving the pump blocked.
Driving behind me when I'm trying to back out of a parking place between two massive pickup trucks.
Ambling down the middle of the lane pushing a grocery cart then leaving the cart blocking another parking spot.
And, if course, tossing trash from the car instead of into a trash can.
There are so many more examples, but you get the picture, I'm sure.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #94

I feel your frustration. Same thing happened to the wife and I. It can be so frustrating. Why people think they need to clean everything right at the dump station. Pull forward when your done so the next person can start to dump. Most people get it and realize that this isn't the place we all want to hang out at all day long and believe me 45 minutes can feel like it.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #95

Semi

My similar experience was not another RVer but a semitrailer. I10 West rest area with one lane for dump station. Semi in the lane when I got there. Wait patiently for about 10 minutes and driver wanders out of truck and then takes off for a constitutional walk in the empty area past the station. Wait another 10 minutes and driver still wandering around. I then exited the rest area went about 10 more miles to next turn around and came back to the mirror image I10 East rest area. Dump lane open and I cleared and cleaned up everything in about 20 minutes. Pull back on to interstate and can see across the way the same truck still parked in dump lane. I also resisted the urge to berate the driver for his inconsideration of others.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaukValley Sam View Post
My similar experience was not another RVer but a semitrailer. I10 West rest area with one lane for dump station. Semi in the lane when I got there. Wait patiently for about 10 minutes and driver wanders out of truck and then takes off for a constitutional walk in the empty area past the station. Wait another 10 minutes and driver still wandering around. I then exited the rest area went about 10 more miles to next turn around and came back to the mirror image I10 East rest area. Dump lane open and I cleared and cleaned up everything in about 20 minutes. Pull back on to interstate and can see across the way the same truck still parked in dump lane. I also resisted the urge to berate the driver for his inconsideration of others.
Let me get this straight, instead of politely asking the truck driver to let you dump, you drove an additional ten miles out of your way? I couldnít do that if I tried, nor would I ever want to.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Old 07-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Yes they do. In my earlier post, before I confronted the offender, he had pulled a hose through a window and was flushing every tank he had. Before I pulled up the guy in front of me said he had already waiting over 15 minutes and the guy didn’t show any sign that he was concerned that someone was waiting on him. When I showed up the guy was inside long enough to have had lunch. When he finally came out to pull the valve he looked up and saw all of us standing there patiently but showing that we were getting fed up. He again didn’t show any sign of concern for anyone but himself. If you are a person who has been to more than a few dump stations you know what is normal and reasonable. This guy was clearly sending a message that his interests and time was all that mattered.
When I finally decided it was either someone confronted him or we all were going be there all day.
I asked him how much longer he thought he was going to need to get done because the line of rigs waiting on him was getting long. He said I’m here and I will take as long as I want to. I then changed his mind. I would do it again. There’s no excuse for being inconsiderate of other people.
Wow. So this is the way I handle it. If I know I am going straight to the dump station from the campsite, I will hook up to the black tank flush line at my campsite and fill my black tank to 2/3 full. Then when I get to the dump station, I just dump. If there is a single person behind me, I will not flush. I figure the 2/3 full black tank sloshing around on the way to the dump site is enough flushing for that trip.

The only time I really flush the black tank is when I am in my own full hook-up site.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #98
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
USmc0311,

It's best just to move on. You are not alone in your observation

Chris
Decidedly not alone.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:54 AM   #99

[QUOTE=BarabooBob;2364739...then he got out his ladder and washed to wash the RV...[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is funniest thing I've read on the forum.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 AM   #100

10 min. Gloves. Boom. Done.

It's the friendliness, respect, and courtesy of other RV'rs that makes this lifestyle so attractive. That guy sounds like the kind that plays loud music all day long, leaves his barking dogs outside at 6 in the morning, and has 10 guests taking over all available parking spots and blocking everyone's site.

Or, he could just be oblivious.
Closed Thread