Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #101
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
A reminder that this forums purpose is to offer friendly DIY advice.

It is monitored by administrators who try to ensure it stays that way, friendly.

True, vent thread being closed. Some posts that are against site guidelines are being removed.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #102

What happened to manners?

Site Team note, this is same subject matter. The following posts have been moved to this closed thread.

What happened to just plain good manners?

Lately it seems like when people pull into a Rest Area RV Dump Station, once they stop they think they own the spot for as long as they want. I've seen some people take an inordinate amount of time to clean their hose, fittings, dry them in the sun, then make sure everything is in it's place before moving on.

Today's incident takes the cake though. I pulled into a Rest Area near my house to dump my tanks after returning from a camping trip. The spaces were occupied so I stopped a short distance back so I could go to the next available spot. One was occupied by a Class C and the other by an Escape TT. The TT owner was finishing up and left in a few moments. Class C had been done for some time it appeared as the space around the dump had been rinsed down and was almost dry from the Sun.

I proceeded to dump my tanks and noticed that the owner of the Class C was sitting in the driver's seat "surfing" on his phone.

I finished dumping, rinsed gear off and stored. As I was leaving the owner of the Class C had left his seat and gone back into his MH. I left.

To return to my house I had to drive 2 miles North, get off I-5 and return on the SB side. When I passed the rest area the MH was still sitting there. Apparently the owner took the term "Rest Area" to include the space where the dump station was located.

It would seem that the sensible, and polite, thing to do would be to pull out of the "Dump Stall" and take care of all the other stuff when not blocking the facility that others are waiting to use.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #103

I hate to say it but manners went out the window.a lot of people think everything is all about them it’s really sad.I was brought up with a belt and wooden spoon so I learned young about manners and respect for others. LOL
Old 05-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #104
D W

I don't think it has anything to do with "manners". That ship sailed years ago. What it is these days is that a lot of people are oblivious to anything around them. They seem to live in their own private snow globe. Up here, 99% of the folks pull into a dump station and move with a purpose. Part of dump station etiquette is also patience when waiting in line. Some folks may have been out for a while, have 3 tanks to dump and they might need a flush. I get that, but there are always the 1%'ers that dilly-dally and can't seem to live and breathe without constantly tending to their phone. As I said there is waiting etiquette, but patience wears thin at a certain point, and that's when the horns start blowing.

If anyone else has a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #105

It seems pretty common that a lot of people have no common sense and courtesy lately.

Doesn't matter if dumping tanks or parking to block something while, as you say, they play on the cell. Happens in gas stations all the time. Fill up, go inside for a donut or what ever, take their time to browse all the while blocking the pump.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
Old 05-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #106
Wanderluster

Yes, it's very rude, and is unfortunately all too common these days. Whenever I'm traveling and stopping for fuel, usually at a TA/Love's/Pilot/Flying J (regardless of whether I'm in my motorhome or one of my passenger vehicles), my biggest annoyance was pulling up behind someone at a fuel pump who thinks they are in the rest area. I've now made it a habit to never pull behind a vehicle that does not have anyone in the driver's seat or at the fuel pump. Too often, empty cars mean that the driver (and passengers) are all inside the store/restaurant - shopping, eating, browsing, using the restroom, etc - while their car is at the fuel pump, preventing anyone else from getting fuel! Arggghhh!!!
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
Old 05-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #107

The one that infuriated me parked his motor home where it blocked both pumps on the end. After filling the fuel tank he went inside and shopped a bit then came back out. The family then retreated to their dining area and proceeded to prepare and eat lunch, all while still blocking the pumps with me and my trailer parked right behind him. I really think he was clueless about etiquette and manners! I did give him a reminder.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #108

Well, I've read a lot of threads (some on this forum) where people ask how to dump at a dump station and replies include everything from connecting a hose to the blank tank flush connection, dumping a 5 gallon bucket into the toilet, to pumping the freshwater tank into the black water tank. My normal reply to all of that is save all that for when you are connected at your own full hookup site. In my opinion the dump station is there for one thing - when others are waiting behind you - and that is to dump the current contents of your black and grey tanks as quickly as possible.

There have been times if the dump station is really busy that when I am waiting as the next person in line, I'll will get out my hose and carry it up to near the dump station. That way when I get to pull in, getting the sewer hose out of storage. When I am done, if it busy, I'll leave my sewer hose right there and pull forward so the next person can start pulling, then I will stop and walk back and pick up my hose and store it. Sure, it's probably 2 minutes, but that is 2 minutes the next person does not have to wait on me.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #109

Reminds me of the people that order half the menu in a drive-thru. Heck with everyone else behind them.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #110
Wanderluster

Today's "society" has made too many people entirely comfortable with disrespecting others and not getting punched in the face for it.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #111
Kanadian Kamper

It has become comfy in their little world.
It’s a me, myself and I attitude that they live in.
They don’t experience any conflicts with any of them, so they continue in their ways.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 05-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
Today's "society" has made too many people entirely comfortable with disrespecting others and not getting punched in the face for it.

I'm not sure if they are disrespecting others, I think they just don't care or have no clue about others than themselves.

Same thing in campgrounds with the smokey campfires, bright lights on all night (look at ME!) and loud music way into the night.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What happened to just plain good manners?

Lately it seems like when people pull into a Rest Area RV Dump Station, once they stop they think they own the spot for as long as they want. I've seen some people take an inordinate amount of time to clean their hose, fittings, dry them in the sun, then make sure everything is in it's place before moving on.

Today's incident takes the cake though. I pulled into a Rest Area near my house to dump my tanks after returning from a camping trip. The spaces were occupied so I stopped a short distance back so I could go to the next available spot. One was occupied by a Class C and the other by an Escape TT. The TT owner was finishing up and left in a few moments. Class C had been done for some time it appeared as the space around the dump had been rinsed down and was almost dry from the Sun.

I proceeded to dump my tanks and noticed that the owner of the Class C was sitting in the driver's seat "surfing" on his phone.

I finished dumping, rinsed gear off and stored. As I was leaving the owner of the Class C had left his seat and gone back into his MH. I left.

To return to my house I had to drive 2 miles North, get off I-5 and return on the SB side. When I passed the rest area the MH was still sitting there. Apparently the owner took the term "Rest Area" to include the space where the dump station was located.

It would seem that the sensible, and polite, thing to do would be to pull out of the "Dump Stall" and take care of all the other stuff when not blocking the facility that others are waiting to use.

I wonder what would have happened If an RV was behind him and asked him to move?!?

I can barely handle the idiots getting gas at Costco blocking the path because they can’t park or figure out which side the gas goes in so their vehicle and their fat ass both block traffic
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #114
Site Team

This is really just a vent thread that is inviting more vents. Thread being closed for sake of forum harmony,

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread