Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #61

We have a "dump station" in our driveway. The plumbers offered to add a main line port when they had to replace a piece of pipe in a location that allowed for it, seeing the trailer sitting in the driveway, and we took them up on it. But I prefer to only use it when necessary, as we can get funny looks from neighbors when they see a sewage hose connected in the driveway.

On our last trip, there was a dump station on the way out of the park, we were pretty full, and there was only one trailer in front of us. So I decided to stop and dump. The trailer in front of us was a large fifth wheel that had previously dropped their trailer off their hitch into the bed of their truck when turning out of the campsite loop (my wife later told me they had been drinking all morning while loading and hooking up, but I can only speculate that that was their issue). Anyways, it was a big trailer, so I figured it would take awhile. I didn't figure the family would go for a walk while the driver seemingly napped because he wore himself out fixing his hitch issues.

I wasn't watching the clock, but it took way too long. Then, when they finally packed up and pulled out, it turns out there are 4 dump stations in line. They just stopped at the first one. All 3 of us waiting behind him could've dumped at the same time, while he was dumping.

I can be done in 10 minutes if others are waiting. Clean everything best I can and wrap it in a thick plastic bag before I stow it, so nothing else is exposed to it, and do a better clean job at home.
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, tow upgrade
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #62

I rarely leave a campground where I have not had a full hook up on Sunday. The dump stations usually have a long line of weekenders that are checking out. I'd rather stay another day and generally on Monday or Tuesday there will be no line at all.

Once I mentioned on this forum that I have used an empty FHU site to dump and rinse. This is at an Ohio state park that has an absolute nasty mudhole all around the dump pads. My repeated suggestions for years that they replace the grassy area around the dump pads with a thick gravel base have gone unheeded. Then I was excoriated by many members for somehow taking advantage of a site that I wasn't entitled to. Well...sorry...not sorry.

Anyway, one thing that I do to speed things up if there is anyone in the line behind me is this. While waiting my turn, I hook my outdoor shower hose to my black tank flush. When it's my turn I do the standard routine for me, hook up my hose, open a gray tank for about five seconds to wet the inside of the dump hose and make sure nothing pops off connections at either end....then I dump my black. When the black tank finishes, I close that valve and start dumping my first gray. While it is dumping, I open my hot water shower valve (have to leave your pump on when you hook up) and I let the remaining hot water in the tank flush the black. About the time my shower hose cools off, my first gray tank is done. Then I dump my black again. When the flush is dumped, I finish with the other gray which rinses my dump hose.

I disconnect my hoses, give them a very quick rinse and rinse down the pad. I toss everything back in a huge plastic tote where I store all my hoses and connections and get out of the way. I don't think I have ever taken more than 15 minutes to do this. It doesn't even appear to those behind me that I have flushed (which helps to assuage the impatient folks behind...I hope)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 07-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I have had to get out of my rig and explain where I might have to store their slinky if they don’t hurry and that has worked every time.
You don’t want to be that idiot in front of me!
Take all day if you are not holding someone up, otherwise do the simple task and get down the road.
Oh, don't do that with me, I might "accidentally" do something that would make it difficult for you to get back into your own truck without some cleanup. Most likely I would just slow down even more and make sure everything is clean as a whistle.
Otherwise, DH and I work as a team and are usually done very quickly.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #64

Waste tanks need not be dumped unless they're getting full. We don't scurry over to the gas dock and get the holding tanks on our boats pumped out every weekend, just when they're full.

You can camp for a week and dump on day 6 or 7 on the way home. No difference in 6 or 7 days spread out over several weekends. The poo doesn't care or get lonely sitting there.

A good enzyme and Odorlos are recommended. Any good marine supply shop will have them both.

-- Chuck
Old 07-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #65

You can camp for a week and dump on day 6 or 7 on the way home.

The dump station is part of your campsite cost, why tow your crap for miles and get less MPG and pay at another dump station.
I got enough weight to carry without adding sewage. Plus over half the places don’t have dump stations.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #66

The same guys

The same clueless idiots who think they are the only person on earth at the dump station, owns a boat! They apparently think the sign at the loading ramp saying that there is a 10 minute limit to load and unload a boat doesn’t apply to them!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #67

I'm brand new at this. 1st trip was 4 miles from home at a full hookup and wife and I just went to get 'acquainted ' with our new travel trailer. 2nd trip, this weekend, we branched out 16 miles from home off of a river and had a great 3 day weekend with family and friends coming and going. Was ine of those I guess full hookups but reality was dump station was on the way out. Didn't think it would be a big issue but sure enough Saturday morning gray tank shows full. Black just 2/3s full. Not wanting to negotiate backing back in after disconnecting everything I just used the portable waste tank, emptied gray and all good for another day. Heading out Sunday AM purposely filled gray back up a good amount to help get a good flush of everything. I'm a nervous wreck bc I'm OCD but also dont want to be holding anyone up. Figured it would be a line. Pulled right up (1 lane only) and started our process. Luckily, I got black tank drained, black tank flush with hose, and as I was starting gray tank a trailer pulled up in line. Quick clean up and out of his way in a reasonable time but was nerve wracking. We already got quicker at whole process from 1st trip to 2nd so we are improving.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #68

TxFirstTimer,

Great to hear and congratulations!

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 07-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You reminded me of a trip home from a trip last fall. I pulled into a gas station just off the Interstate and filled up. Went inside to pick up some snacks and pay. Turned out it was exactly AT shift change so the cashier was not at the counter. A few minutes later the new cashier arrived and before I could pay some young gal came in and shouted "Who has the travel trailer at pump # ??."

I said I do and I'll be there in a minute as soon as I pay. Gal responded "Well hurry it up, you're holding everyone up" (there were 6 pumps and I was only blocking one side of two) The Cashier told the gal to "chill out sister" he just spent close to $100 on fuel. How much do you think you can squeeze into your VW Jetta?". She then told me "you take all the time you want. Are you sure you don't need to do some more shopping?".

Absolutely priceless and I didn't even have to say much at all.

I had everything I needed so I paid and then walked normally out to my truck and left not hurrying, not delaying. I think I got a "Freeway Salute" as I left from the gal in the VW.

The poor slob in the VW is likely nor aware of her car's history. [emoji33]
Old 07-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #70

Quote:
I have had to get out of my rig and explain where I might have to store their slinky if they don’t hurry and that has worked every time.
Take all day if you are not holding someone up, otherwise do the simple task and get down the road.
Oh, don't do that with me, I might "accidentally" do something that would make it difficult for you to get back into your own truck without some cleanup. Most likely I would just slow down even more and make sure everything is clean as a whistle.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this!!!! You get out and walk up and tell me where to stick my slinky hose........... not gonna end well. But I do feel your pain about rude behavior, can’t stand it and it seems to be everywhere nowadays.
Besides that, this is a different world we live in today. It’s a lot smarter to just bite your lip and live to post reply’s on a forum.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
Quote:
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this!!!! You get out and walk up and tell me where to stick my slinky hose........... not gonna end well. But I do feel your pain about rude behavior, can’t stand it and it seems to be everywhere nowadays.
Besides that, this is a different world we live in today. It’s a lot smarter to just bite your lip and live to post reply’s on a forum.
Let's just say that there are many potential dangers when confronting someone and leave it at that..

One approach might be to get out, stand at the front of your rig, and with a huge smile on your face say "go ahead and take all the time you want. None of us here in line have anything else important to do while waiting".

You may have a 50-50 chance they'll get the message.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Waste tanks need not be dumped unless they're getting full. We don't scurry over to the gas dock and get the holding tanks on our boats pumped out every weekend, just when they're full.

You can camp for a week and dump on day 6 or 7 on the way home. No difference in 6 or 7 days spread out over several weekends. The poo doesn't care or get lonely sitting there.

A good enzyme and Odorlos are recommended. Any good marine supply shop will have them both.

-- Chuck
I guess everyone’s definition of clean and stink are different. I like to be clean and have a good sense of smell, so the poo may not care about sitting several weekends, but my nose does! No amount of enzymes or orderlies can fix that, at least not for someone with a good nose. It also doesn’t help keep DW and my skin from crawling and making EWE! Faces thinking about it!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #73

Florida State parks generally don't have full-hookup sites except for the campground host. I often camp at nearby parks that are the only dump station between the campsite and my home, and I don't have access to a sewage drain in my condo community. After I unload the trailer at home, I park it at a storage lot for weeks at a time.

While I'm not going to polish every hose and connector I own while others wait in line, my tanks will be empty before I leave. It takes how long it takes.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #74

A reminder that this forums purpose is to offer friendly DIY advice.

It is monitored by administrators who try to ensure it stays that way, friendly.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #75

I apologize to the Op I didn't realize he was in a hurry
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
Old 07-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I apologize to the Op I didn't realize he was in a hurry
LOL!!! Good one. Made me chuckle.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #77

I have only had a few in your face confrontations over the years. All have got the offender moving. The last time was in 2019 I wasn’t directly behind the idiot. The guy in front of me and two others stood in front of his rig and visually made it clear to the idiot that we all were waiting. He didn’t make any gesture to acknowledge the waiting line. The guy directly behind him, in front of me was beside himself and was sick of watching this guy do what ever he was doing. I finally told him I would take care of it. I confronted the guy and explained a few things. He got red faced but stored his hose and got out of the road. I was applauded by four or five people who had been watching this total lack of concern for other people. I won’t hesitate to do some educating if required.
Don’t be that guy!
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #78

We should strive to see ourselves as helping others enjoy RVing where possible.

That is why this forum exists, to provide friendly DIY help.

Share reputable and trusted sources of available information (links, articles, manuals, etc), as well as your own experiences (pictures, annecdotes, etc) to provide friendly help.

Instead of confronting people at the dump station why not make a friend at the campground and if they are newbies, offer them a copy of correct dumping procedures?

Be an ambassador and role model.

Chris
Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post

Share reputable and trusted sources of available information (links, articles, manuals, etc), as well as your own experiences (pictures, annecdotes, etc) to provide friendly help.

Instead of confronting people at the dump station why not make a friend at the campground and if they are newbies, offer them a copy of correct dumping procedures?

Chris
You can't tell me what to do! Because RIGHTS! (and stuff)

;-)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 07-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #80
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post

Chris
Thank you for adding that perspective. I must say that I have found a few posts unnerving.

In such a situation, I hope I would be patient and say nothing, or be patient and helpful. Hope. I know I wouldn’t threaten anyone with bodily harm.
Closed Thread