Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #1

Dump Station lack of consideration

It's amazing how some are either oblivious to their surroundings or feel so entitled they don't care whether or not they're holding up others with their OCD behavior.

My story:

Wednesday I was returning from a short trip and since our local Wastewater Treatment Plant recently closed their dump station I went to a nearby rest area on the Interstate to dump (an extra 10 miles round trip). This rest area has three lanes for dumping and all were occupied when I arrived so I did what most people would do, I picked the lane I thought would clear first, behind a nice Georgetown coach. The owner had his hose deployed and it looked like he was merely waiting for the last dribbles to go down the hose. Other lanes were just starting.

Boy, was I wrong. People in lane on left and right got with the program and dumped, flushed, and left. Person in front of me eventually came out of his coach, "milked" the hose a few times, disconnected, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, using the push button water supply. Then drained the hose by holding it up in the air for what seemed like forever.

Meanwhile lanes on left and right had new "dumpers" in them and were getting things done with normal efficiency.

Back to the lane I'm in, the owner of the Georgetown carefully stowed his hose and then proceeded to not just rinse the adapter elbows, he also carefully wiped each with a Clorox disinfecting wipe, making sure he got every part of the surfaces (I've seen baby bottoms wiped quicker during a diaper change with 'baby wipes"). Once the elbows were clean and had dried in the sun, he placed them inside a plastic bag and into a plastic tote which he stowed in a compartment.

When I saw the tote go into the storage compartment I thought "Oh goody, it's my turn. Not so fast, the coach sat there, sat there, sat there, and sat there.

Back to lane one and lane three. Lane one cleared (that's two that dumped since I arrived) and lane three had a fresh customer. I got out of my truck, walked back to see if I was clear, then backed up and pulled into the empty lane one. Out with the hose, connected, valve open, draining. The Coachman FINALLY started moved out of the center dump lane.

I finished dumping and left.

Total wait time, 45 minutes or so. Total dumping time? Maybe 10 minutes.

I was proud of myself. I sat there patiently waiting and observing. I didn't open the window and shout that he should hurry things along, this was a dump station, not a full hookups site.

I sure hope that person wasn't a regular here.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Good for you on your patience Mike.

I likely would have been asking questions about what was taking so long.

I'm a firm believer people have lost their ability to think about anything/anyone other than themselves.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
Old 07-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #3

You've picked up a bit of my luck. Every line that I pick turns out to be the slowest.

You should be commended for your patience. I might have gotten out and offered to help. Probably wouldn't have done any good, but at least he'd be aware that you were waiting... patiently.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

That is inconsiderate. I'm not obsessive but do like to clean up everything before I stow it. I won't do that if someone's waiting, though.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Good for you on your patience Mike.

I likely would have been asking questions about what was taking so long.

I'm a firm believer people have lost their ability to think about anything/anyone other than themselves.
X2 about asking questions to the rude/unaware human. I would of definitely gone up and politely asked if I could help and explained why I was asking.
We haven't met too many folks who are truly just rude, but plenty who were just unaware they were pissing off their fellow RVers. Only once have we run into someone who just didn't care, and wouldn't alter their actions/apologize. It happened to be at a truck stop, and I went in and explained to the manager how the couple were eating lunch in their MH and explained to me in colorful language that they would continue to block the only RV fuel lane as long as they wanted. He got them to move pretty quickly.
I do think most RV folks are pretty laid back and friendly, but there does seem to be a fair amount of inexperienced/entitled RVers
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 07-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

TitanMike,

Oh my god, sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I read "elbows drying in the sun".

I wonder what the rule of thumb is on the average time it should take at the dump station?

If the clock starts ticking when I open the black water valve I figure by the time I open the grey water and let that drain I've got 10 minutes into those tasks alone. Add a few minutes pulling out the hose and a few rinsing and putting stuff away, I figure about 20 overall.

Could be more if I end up milking the drain hose because the dump station is out of level or I have to pull out my slinky.

Chris
Furion Vison S Observation/Rear Camera
RecPro 70" Dual Recliners
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Old 07-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

The average time it takes most of my group is about 10 minutes when there is a line. That time starts when your vehicle stops in position to use the drain, and ends when you drive off. You are there to simply dump, not clean tanks and hoses.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 07-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
TitanMike,

Oh my god, sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I read "elbows drying in the sun".

I wonder what the rule of thumb is on the average time it should take at the dump station?

If the clock starts ticking when I open the black water valve I figure by the time I open the grey water and let that drain I've got 10 minutes into those tasks alone. Add a few minutes pulling out the hose and a few rinsing and putting stuff away, I figure about 20 overall.

Could be more if I end up milking the drain hose because the dump station is out of level or I have to pull out my slinky.

Chris

I realize that some people have more "crap" to dump than others (larger tanks) and I was pretty much OK with the wait until the guy started carefully sanitizing everything, including the outside of his huger rubber gloves.

I think that if I had that level of OCD I'd pull my coach forward so the next person could begin their dumping and merely go back to sanitize my equipment where I set it out of the way. THEN carry it to my coach and stow it away.

I doubt the guy behind him would be upset sharing a small amount of space while the guy carefully wiped down his gear.

I'd like to think I'm more considerate of others because I was raised in an earlier era but----------------this dude was as old as me. Apparently he missed that class.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The average time it takes most of my group is about 10 minutes when there is a line. That time starts when your vehicle stops in position to use the drain, and ends when you drive off. You are there to simply dump, not clean tanks and hoses.
Especially if moving on to another camping spot. Probably have the tank "fouled" by night time anyway (definitely by the next morning).

I only give my tank a super clean-out when in a full hookup site which I try to stay in at least once just before I get home. Plenty of time to hose everything out and letting the tank flush run for 10 minutes or more is no big deal.

Even if I can't make the full hookups site, I can clean out at home as I have a pump with plenty of hose to make it to the sewer.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
PhD, Common Sense

I respect other’s cleanliness habits. I hope they respect mine.

This sounds like another discussion we are having around here, where the take is completely opposite.

We don’t have the same opinions about how we protect ourselves. That is cool.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2 about asking questions to the rude/unaware human. I would of definitely gone up and politely asked if I could help and explained why I was asking.
We haven't met too many folks who are truly just rude, but plenty who were just unaware they were pissing off their fellow RVers. Only once have we run into someone who just didn't care, and wouldn't alter their actions/apologize. It happened to be at a truck stop, and I went in and explained to the manager how the couple were eating lunch in their MH and explained to me in colorful language that they would continue to block the only RV fuel lane as long as they wanted. He got them to move pretty quickly.
I do think most RV folks are pretty laid back and friendly, but there does seem to be a fair amount of inexperienced/entitled RVers

We use a NASCAR pit crew approach to dumping stations, and this has worked out great for us in terms of clean, cared for equipment and happy campers behind us in line. My thought is that if it takes more than 10 minutes max, you are doing it WRONG
Old 07-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I respect otherís cleanliness habits. I hope they respect mine.

This sounds like another discussion we are having around here, where the take is completely opposite.

We donít have the same opinions about how we protect ourselves. That is cool.
I don't think the disagreement lies in how we protect ourselves, it lies in how we utilize shared resources, and whether or not we are showing consideration for others - no matter which side of the discussion you find yourself.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 07-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
...far N Georgia!

yes, some are very ocd about these 'sewer' things, and some of us just dump and go and are gone in a flash. Some will counter that you 'must' wear gloves, and you 'must' wash your hoses out, and you 'must' carefully wipe everything down... just crazy.

When my 'gray' water washes out the 'black' water from the sewer hose, I'm done.

simple.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
Old 07-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #14
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I don't think the disagreement lies in how we protect ourselves, it lies in how we utilize shared resources, and whether or not we are showing consideration for others - no matter which side of the discussion you find yourself.
If that was how the dumper chose to protect himself from disease, more power to him. There were three lanes. I wouldíve moved to one of the other lanes much sooner.

And done so without judging the fastidious dumper.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yes, some are very ocd about these 'sewer' things, and some of us just dump and go and are gone in a flash. Some will counter that you 'must' wear gloves, and you 'must' wash your hoses out, and you 'must' carefully wipe everything down... just crazy.

When my 'gray' water washes out the 'black' water from the sewer hose, I'm done.

simple.
Exactly. I must wear gloves. You may choose not to. Live and let live.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
If that was how the dumper chose to protect himself from disease, more power to him. There were three lanes. I wouldíve moved to one of the other lanes much sooner.

And done so without judging the fastidious dumper.

Easier said than done. Did you read the part about others coming and going, That means the place was busy and there were lines.

It would have been nice if there was just one big holding line and then when you got to the head of the line you just took the next available. Only place I've been like that though was at the RV Pit Stop in Quartzsite. There they have people directing traffic and if someone is taking too much time they are encouraged to expedite things.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #17

I get frustrated myself, theres always someone more shall we say fastidious than me dumping. I'll try to step it up though and will time myself, if I ever get out camping again.

I do feel a bit disadvantaged though. Once I saw someone in a big Class A just pull out a hose, looked like it was already attached, put it in the sewer hole and it seemed like he didnt open more than one valve or maybe just pushed a button, and then when done it looked like the hose retracted itself at the touch of a button. I was watching him pretty closely but I could have misunderstood what was going on. He was definitely done in under 10 minutes.

My 2006 Sunseeker has 2 gray tanks and 1 valve is on the other side of the coach, so I've got to do a little scramble back and forth. I must look like a loon.

Chris
Furion Vison S Observation/Rear Camera
RecPro 70" Dual Recliners
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #18
Canadian Member

I’ve used my sewer tote enough to know that the grey water stinks, too, so I always give the sewer hose a quick rinsing. I’m sure the people behind me won’t mind the extra 60-90 seconds that takes. You can be very efficient with your time while the tank contents are dumping by getting the rinse hose setup. When our son(s) are with us I’ve taught them to help pack up after I’m done. Sanitizing your hose and fittings is a bit extreme and can be done when you’re out of the way of the folks who’ve been patiently waiting behind you.

All that said, a newbie will understandably take a lot longer at the dump station and I’ll offer some polite coaching if the person in front of me appears to be a newbie. But I won’t touch their stuff.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 07-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #19

I stopped at a dump station along the interstate somewhere in the northeastern US. The guy with a large DP pulled up, dumped his black and grey tanks and then he got out his ladder and washed to wash the RV. When that started, I drove away. I waited until the next day and dumped at our campground at 6:30 am to avoid the departure rush.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I stopped at a dump station along the interstate somewhere in the northeastern US. The guy with a large DP pulled up, dumped his black and grey tanks and then he got out his ladder and washed to wash the RV. When that started, I drove away. I waited until the next day and dumped at our campground at 6:30 am to avoid the departure rush.
I saw about the same thing at the campground we are seasonals at. A guy with a Ram 3500 dually pulling a triple axle 5er TH started washing the front of the TV after he finished dumping. He backed up, almost backing into the next in line so he could wash the truck. It just happened one of the cg workers came scooting by on a 4wheeler and whipped in front of him. The worker knew I drove by while this was going on and told me later the guy didn't flush the pit pad down after he finished dumping. He said he didn't move the 4wheeler until the guy flushed the pad, closed the dump cover, picked up the rubber gloves, filthy towel, and bag of trash and walk them 6 feet to the dumpster. And he told him the hose was for cleaning up after himself and was not a car wash. The thing is all the sites have water and electric.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Closed Thread