Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Dump stations

What is the proper amount of time to stay at a dump station in state parks? The reason I ask is the first and only time I have used one I was very uncomfortable when others started to line up behind me and I felt very rushed. Not that anyone made me feel that way just me not wanting to hold others up.
1928ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

I have to say - as long as it takes to empty all your tanks, and no longer.

I never mind waiting until I see someone addressing items that don't need to be done while folks are lined up. For example, not a good time to try and wash your entire trailer.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

It takes me about 10 mins to empty 3 tanks so I wouldn’t see a need to stay there any longer than that.
I usually take this opportunity while the tanks are draining to do my final walk around making sure all hatches are closed, steps are up, antenna is down etc.

It’s just one of those laws of probability that as soon as you get to the dump station a line will form. I however am usually at the opposite end of the line.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

I may take a little longer. If it is my final dump for a trip or for several days, I may take a little longer as I have a black tank washing system. But while the tanks are draining, I set up my hose to do the final wash. It may take 5 or 10 minutes longer.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Experienced Newbie

I've been to the station 4 times. I simply took enough time to do the job right without making a mess. On the really busy weekends, I'll try to speed things up bit.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Always Learning

I personally make a distinction between dumping my tanks and flushing my tanks. To me, dumping the tanks means to just get them empty and move on. Flushing the tanks means to empty them, run water into them and empty them again (and repeat) until the water coming out is running clear.

I've never used a dump station (I've either used sites with sewer, a honey pot service or just kept the "stuff" in until the next trip if I was going from trip to trip). When I'm at the site and have sewer, I can safely assume it's going to take me an hour until I'm satisfied with the flushing.

With 5 tanks (2 black and 3 gray), it can take a while no matter what I do.