Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladaca View Post
I never thought of using a Garbage Disposal. Great idea and a lot cheaper than a macerator.

Do you rember what connectors you used for the hose connection?
It doesn't pump though(at least not very well) so you still need gravity to get the waste to a drain.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 PM   #62
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Drain, flush, then add worms. Donít get squeamish, they are like the worms that might compost in your backyard. Except ďTiger WormsĒ (named for their stripes) are kind of like the superheroes of composting worms in that they can survive all kinds of conditions and like to eat a lot of poop, quickly and efficiently. They also can be found on every continent. Give it a try.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #63
PhD, Common Sense

Interesting idea, but composting is a long-term process. How much good can these worms do in your tank for a short period of time before they are flushed, along with their buffet, into a much larger buffet?

Is there a downside to introducing life forms into your RV? Usually I try to limit the number of species in my TT to just one.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If there is someone waiting on you at the dump station, yep, rude.
When leaving, ask the RV parks folks if you can pull into an empty FHU site to clean your tanks there. We have done that several times. They have never minded us doing that, but we always ask first. Then you can take as long as you like with no pressure.....

Ditto
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #65
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Interesting idea, but composting is a long-term process. How much good can these worms do in your tank for a short period of time before they are flushed, along with their buffet, into a much larger buffet?

Is there a downside to introducing life forms into your RV? Usually I try to limit the number of species in my TT to just one.
Worms are very efficient at breaking down scraps and can eat over half their body weight in organic matter every day. Nah bring em aboard, could be your only friend sounds like Kidding. Yeah, its an interesting concept and raises the question...hmm. I know I know chemicals, but if they can survive with all the crap being put on lawns why not some 'eco-friendly' pink stuff?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
You have probably eaten several pounds of propylene-glycol during your lifetime. It is a food additive.

Itís low freezing point when combined with water is what makes it also an antifreeze. Many edible substances have this property. Iíd bet that Vodka is useful as an antifreeze.
Most RV antifreeze is ethanol based. I have to look very hard to find the propylene based stuff, which is what people should really be using.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #67
2017 WORK and PLAY 38RSL

I gave up on all that how and where. My rig is to big to keep at my house but I still dug up next to my drive way and installed hook ups. I ran conduit from my garage subpanel to my mailbox post and screwed a 50Amp box to it. While the ditch was open I tied some 4" into the clean out for my city sewer line. Now at the end of every trip I can clean/dump out at the sight and then fill the black with a couple gallons to slosh around and clean on the drive home. This also allows for the use of the toilet while traveling. Then when home, I hook up the hoses and clean the entire RV with the radio and AC's going and then flush the tanks out last. When needed, I winterize before transporting to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv plug1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	240681  
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
If you are going to drain and flush your tank, you should find an empty FHS to do it. If everyone did that, it would take forever to get through the line. Fill both grey and black tanks fully before you leave your site and drain at the dump station. That should be good enough. If that is not good enough for wou find an alternative later or just use the public poop facility.
Funny, where we camp everybody that has a black tank flush uses it and we all wait in line patiently because we know when we're up people will be waiting for us. Granted, if there's a long line we may not flush quite as thoroughly as usual but we flush. Some campers get really stinky if you don't.
lilredcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #69

Take your time and do a good job, who cares how long the line is, you got there before them!
Old 10-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
Good afternoon.

We typically book FHU lots but we are heading out on our last camping trip of the year and the lot we will be on is not a FHU.. just water and electricity.
I diligently do the 'empty black tank, back flush, empty it again.. repeat until as clear as possible' and end with the grey tank dump. This has kept my tanks in great conditions.
But, I'm just curious as to what I 'should' do at this dump station (last trip of the year and winterizing it when we get home).
Is it 'ok' to do some black tank backflushing or is it considered a 'no-no' etiquette wise? I understand that if I'm alone in line and seem to have time, I should be ok.. but... if there's a line... should I skip the black tank backflush and leave the rest of the contents be until the spring? Just worried about the 'crappy' consequence if I do skip it.
Just asking here.. don't want to start a war :-)

and thank you for your opinions.. I know they may vary..
When we do not have full hookups, I use the black tank flush before we go to the dump station. I make sure that the black tank is full, and then go and dump. Not as good as filling and flushing several times, but, my tank is always golden.....I mean clean. Never have had any issues so far.
SpaceGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuy85 View Post
When we do not have full hookups, I use the black tank flush before we go to the dump station. I make sure that the black tank is full, and then go and dump. Not as good as filling and flushing several times, but, my tank is always golden.....I mean clean. Never have had any issues so far.

Iím confused, How do you flush the tank when your tank if full?
Running the black tank flush is designed to dislodge anything stuck in the tank and rinse the tank. I donít think it can be done when the tank is full. But I might be wrong, Iím sure someone can explain how flushing a full tank works.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Iím confused, How do you flush the tank when your tank if full?
Running the black tank flush is designed to dislodge anything stuck in the tank and rinse the tank. I donít think it can be done when the tank is full. But I might be wrong, Iím sure someone can explain how flushing a full tank works.
When you use the Black Tank Flush, you are also adding water to the black tank. So, I run mine a bit lower until I see that the tank is full on the panel. Yes, the flush is designed to dislodge, but, it also can fill it up pretty quick. Wasn't trying to confuse. Before we had the black tank flush, we used another hose down through the tolet with a special sprayer thing (Not sure what it is called, but they still make them), and it did the same as the built in flush. So, since this worked great on the old camper, I now just do a variation of the same thing. But again, I still get the black tank full, then dump. I learned this from my uncle, who told me that this ensures that nothing gets trapped around the sensor, or stuck to the top of the tank. Might not be true, but, again, I have had no issues at all.

Thanks,
SpaceGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuy85 View Post
When you use the Black Tank Flush, you are also adding water to the black tank. So, I run mine a bit lower until I see that the tank is full on the panel. Yes, the flush is designed to dislodge, but, it also can fill it up pretty quick. Wasn't trying to confuse. Before we had the black tank flush, we used another hose down through the tolet with a special sprayer thing (Not sure what it is called, but they still make them), and it did the same as the built in flush. So, since this worked great on the old camper, I now just do a variation of the same thing. But again, I still get the black tank full, then dump. I learned this from my uncle, who told me that this ensures that nothing gets trapped around the sensor, or stuck to the top of the tank. Might not be true, but, again, I have had no issues at all.

Thanks,
basic RVing, only dump the black tank when it is above 3/4s. The flush is for rinsing the walls/sensors and anything left behind after you dump the tank, as you will see through the plastic adapter is becomes cleaner as the flush is doing it's thing.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #74

Genius, especially since actual maceraters get bad revues.
Jim1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank