Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #1

Ebike racks for camper

I have a Freedom Express 248 RBS camper and have recently purchased an ebike rated at 68 lbs, my plans are to purchase a second one in Spring for my spouse. In researching hitch mounted carriers, a lot of them are not recommended for travel trailers. The previous owner of the camper had the rear frame and hitch beefed up to carry 500 lbs of extra weight. So my question I'm hoping to find an answer to, is there any carriers out there that will work for two ebikes? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Maple City Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
Canadian Member

We recently bought a couple Aventon e-bikes. Mine is over 70# and my DW’s is around 50#. I bought this rack to carry them.

https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...ducts/rv-rider

However, it not rated for use on a travel trailer, just a 5th wheel or motorhome. (I confirmed with the company that they don’t recommend using it on a TT.) So I use it in a front receiver on my F-250 when towing the TT. Frankly, I wouldn’t trust a receiver on a trailer to support our e-bikes.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #3

I would think the OP could get a hitch mount (class 3) bike rack to hold his two E-Bikes if he had a class 3 hitch attached to the frame of his TT, just like how one would attach a hitch to a truck, SUV, etc. I know Swagman (Amazon) has a huge variety of hitches to accommodate almost all bike needs. Camping friends used a Swagman on their Class C, class 3 hitch with two heavy E-Bikes, about 70 lbs. each and it has worked well for them.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #4

We bought this one.

https://hyperax.co/products/2023-volt-rv
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

I would do a thorough inspection of the "beefed up hitch/frame". The torque generated by two e-bikes at the end of a rack arm is significant and could damage the frame or the bikes. I have the same trailer and would never carry two e-bikes on it even with a beefed up hitch. Who determined the 500 LB capacity.

I am not trying to be negative, just hate to see you destroy the TT or bikes.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I would think the OP could get a hitch mount (class 3) bike rack to hold his two E-Bikes if he had a class 3 hitch attached to the frame of his TT, just like how one would attach a hitch to a truck, SUV, etc. I know Swagman (Amazon) has a huge variety of hitches to accommodate almost all bike needs. Camping friends used a Swagman on their Class C, class 3 hitch with two heavy E-Bikes, about 70 lbs. each and it has worked well for them.
Thanks Shermin, I'm going by what former owner of camper told me when purchased. He assured me that his receiver on the rear of trailer was secured to frame and not just bumper. And I can confirm that as well, in addition I am using a heavy duty Curt Weight Distribution and sway bar hitch. I really don't have a lot of choices to haul my ebike, as that when camping the back of my pickup is taken up by firewood, chairs, and canopy. Appreciate your reply, thanks.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would do a thorough inspection of the "beefed up hitch/frame". The torque generated by two e-bikes at the end of a rack arm is significant and could damage the frame or the bikes. I have the same trailer and would never carry two e-bikes on it even with a beefed up hitch. Who determined the 500 LB capacity.

I am not trying to be negative, just hate to see you destroy the TT or bikes.
The 500 lb statement was from previous owner, who has always been truthful in everything he told me at purchase. Only thing is that I can't recall what he hauled in the hitch. But that was before ebikes were so popular. Gonna think hard about a solution, or I'm gonna be in a lot of hot water with the misses.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:30 PM   #8
Site Team

If you do decide to give it a try, Before going on a long trip, I would mount the bikes and have someone drive the rig around town and follow it. You will be amazed at the amount of movement.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 01:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Remember that TTs don't have shocks so items hung on the rear of the trailer, will b subject to bouncing.
There have been many accounts of bike racks failing and the bikes ending up on the road. And that's non-ebikes.
And ebikes often weigh double what regular bikes weigh.
I just purchased a new performance mountain ebike and I would be wary about mounting just it on the back of the trailer, let alone two ebikes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #10
AlBab

levers and ebikes

An issue to consider beyond the potential challenge with the receiver mounted to the trailer frame is the effect of the weight of the bikes themselves (plus the weight of the receiver and bike rack. Just back of napkin stuff here but if you add 200 lbs (bikes, rack and receiver) at the back of the trailer that will have the effect of pulling weight off of the tongue of the trailer. Let's say you have 500 lbs of tongue weight and the trailer axle is at about the 1/3 distance from the rear of the trailer. (2/3 from the front). Those 200 lbs of bike stuff will lift about 100 lbs of weight from the tongue.

You mention you have a WDH and anti-sway but you could potentially introduce some weight imbalances and create unwanted sway in addition to the torque on the frame from the bike rack/bikes.

Just my $0.02.

good luck and safe travels!!!
AlBab930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #11

Swegman makes RV, e-bike rated racks, love mine

https://www.swagman.net/collections/vehicle-type-rv
Old 10-16-2023, 04:27 PM   #12

All I'm going to say is I've been hauling 1 to 2 mountain bikes around the USA behind my previous travel trailer (a little 1809s) for 7 years, and now haul my e-mtb bike (a Trek Rail 7) behind my current one, a Rockwood 2205s. The bike rack I use, a 1up-USA, in the factory Rockwood receiver hitch, is manufacturer rated for travel trailer use for bikes up to 75lb each. Here's a paste from their website
https://1up-usa.com/faq/#:~:text=Our%20Heavy%20Duty%2C%20Super%20Duty,RV%2 0and%20Travel%2DTrailer%20usage

WHICH RACKS ARE RATED FOR RV AND TRAVEL-TRAILER USAGE?

Our Heavy Duty, Super Duty and Xtreme Duty Racks are rated for RV and Travel-Trailer usage. Two bike maximum with only the 2-in. hitch-bar models.

When I'm traveling and I do my daily walk-around before departure, I always inspect the hitch/bumper/bike area for anything suspicious. Nothing noted to date & my bikes are fine.
The only adaptation I've had to make to get the room to accommodate bikes is to remove the spare tire carrier from the bumper. The spare now rides in the truck bed.
I think the "bike rack failures" circulating on the interweb were not using frame based receiver hitches but using those bolt-on hitches mounted to the delicate rear bumper. My 2205s has a rear mounted fridge too, and it's contents haven't been destroyed by the mysterious back-of-a-trailer-with-no-shocks forces either.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you do decide to give it a try, Before going on a long trip, I would mount the bikes and have someone drive the rig around town and follow it. You will be amazed at the amount of movement.
X10
Most towable RVs do not have shock absorbers, so the suspension bounces and oscillates undamped -- a lot.

While the tongue of the rig rides relatively smoothly on the hitch ball...because the truck's suspension is both loaded and dampened by shock absorbers, the rear bumper of every undamped travel trailer bounces around a lot. Having the tongue firmly fixed to the tow vehicle (TV) exacerbates the bounce at the RV's rear bumper.

While your bike carrier might survive this torture, your undoubtedly expensive electric bikes are going to be tossed like scrambled eggs. I wouldn't consider putting my expensive bikes out there.

This video shows that torture with regular, light-weight bikes. Put 120 pounds of e-bikes on a heavy-duty bike rack, and things will be worse.

Perhaps you can place the bikes inside the rig or above the bed of your TV.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:31 AM   #14

Well, what this whole discussion comes down to is "weight". Whether it's E-bikes, EVs, E-line trimmers, or E anything else, weight is an issue that is often overlooked or ignored when talking about the electrification of America.

One way the OP could reduce the weight on his E-bikes is to remove the batteries during travels and lessen the strain on the rack, hitch, and TT.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #15

With Sherman12's comment about removing the heavy batteries in mind, this style of rack might be an option.

I can't vouch for the weight carrying capacity of the Lippert rack, but several manufacturers make these A-Frame mounted bike racks. Though expensive, the Futura GP rack, in particular, looks like a great choice.

While struggling to lift a heavy e-bike onto this rack might exceed your physical abilities, it's worth considering, because the ride on the A-Frame is essentially as smooth as that in the bed of your tow vehicle.

OTOH, bear in mind that tongue weight will increase by the weight of the rack and bikes. So, once again, Sherman12's suggestion to dismount the batteries and carry them, say, on the RV bed or dinette cushions, makes a ton of sense. And you may need to shift your cargo loading habits a bit to transfer some tonbue weight to the rear of the trailer. That, in itself, is no big deal, because, if you were to hang 120+ pounds of e-bikes, 50 to 75 pounds of bike rack, and possibly the weight of an add-on class II hitch to the rear of the rig, you'd need to change cargo loading to ensure your tongue weight is adequate...minimum 10% to 15% of the GVWR. So reconfiguring your load is part of the deal.

Also remember that if you add 200 to 300 pounds of hitch/rack/bikes to the rig, that lump of mass must come out of your CCC (cargo carrying capacity). If your rig has a CCC of 1500 pounds, that could be up to 20% of your cargo capacity. Boondock? Have a 35 gallon fresh tank full of water? That's another 20% (8.3#/gallon). Things add up quickly when it comes to cargo weight. If your rig doesn't have a factory class II receiver hitch, you save the weight of adding one by moving to an A-Frame mount. But I digress.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We recently bought a couple Aventon e-bikes. Mine is over 70# and my DW’s is around 50#. I bought this rack to carry them.

https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...ducts/rv-rider

However, it not rated for use on a travel trailer, just a 5th wheel or motorhome. (I confirmed with the company that they don’t recommend using it on a TT.) So I use it in a front receiver on my F-250 when towing the TT. Frankly, I wouldn’t trust a receiver on a trailer to support our e-bikes.
X2 I carry ours on a front receiver also, I like being able to see them and being out front it is a gentle ride for them.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #17
Mr Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
X2 I carry ours on a front receiver also, I like being able to see them and being out front it is a gentle ride for them.

We installed a front receiver on our 2023 E450 sunseeker MH for our e-bikes. For those with travel trailers installing front receiver on the TV might be an option. And yes I too like to see the bikes while moving down the road.

Ours bikes are about 70lbs each without the batteries. So we bought a motorcycle rack for them. Works GREAT! Rock solid and no bouncing so no rubbing.

https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorc...e/p/amc-600-2/
Kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:37 AM   #18

Thank you all for the advice, insight, and suggestions. This will give me a little more time to research my options until Spring, much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #19

Kholder, that looks like a really great rack. Add in the comparatively low price and you got a winner.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #20

Hyperax ebike rack on our Rockwood Mini Lite.
I was asked to post the pictures. I don’t endorse the product and I don’t have any stake in the company or receive any compensation of any kind from the sale of this or any other product.
I encourage anyone interested in mounting any rack on a trailer to have the hitch on the trailer inspected by a competent welding shop before using a rack of any kind on the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDF2F513-B897-4E97-8A35-3273B934D28A.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	294215   Click image for larger version

Name:	55C35522-4B84-4857-B4DA-B22B6A3FB527.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	294216   Click image for larger version

Name:	141E0854-F43F-4492-8251-5FF83C85D8F7.jpg
Views:	48