Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Electric alarm?

Plugged my pup (2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 led) into household current for first time.

Repeated buzzing coming from converter panel, almost like an alarm.

Plugged a small lamp into an outlet, got light, but the buzzer continued and in about a minute, smelled like something burning. Shut the light off, turned the power off at the breaker.

Any ideas?
Leetch94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch94 View Post
Plugged my pup (2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 led) into household current for first time.

Repeated buzzing coming from converter panel, almost like an alarm.

Plugged a small lamp into an outlet, got light, but the buzzer continued and in about a minute, smelled like something burning. Shut the light off, turned the power off at the breaker.

Any ideas?
What exactly are you plugging into for the "household current" you speak of?

Are you using any kind of adapter to plug into the household current?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

I ran an extension cord from the house, attached an adapter between the camper (30) and the cord (15).
Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
I ran an extension cord from the house, attached an adapter between the camper (30) and the cord (15).

OK, good deal. The reason I asked that was the fact that I have been involved in MANY threads here where someone plugged into a 30 amp outlet that was wired for 240 volts, thus burning up their converter.

If you are plugging into a 15/20 amp house outlet (using the adapter you stated), then you couldn't have plugged into a 240 volt outlet(or shouldn't have been able to I should say unless someone wired it wrong recently).

You may just be having a converter go bad. It's a 2006, so it's 10 years old...unless that was a typo and you meant for it to be a 2016 since you stated you plugged it in for the first time.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

So, any ideas for the buzzing? The converter hums when I turn it on, that's not the buzzing I'm talking about.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
So, any ideas for the buzzing? The converter hums when I turn it on, that's not the buzzing I'm talking about.
If you bought this RV used, as indicated, there could be several things to look for.

Is there a battery in the popup, and is it good? The converter is also a battery recharger, and a bad battery can cause problems for the converter.

Unless you know who the seller was on a real personal basis, there is also no telling to what may have happened to the pop-up previously. My first instinct was that this pup may have been hooked up to a 240 power supply, which still could have happened before you bought it. It's hard for me to imagine that the seller never connected to an electrical outlet in the 10 years before you bought it, but as you indicated in a PM to me.

I would possibly suggest checking out the converter first. Let me find you some previous posted links on how to do this.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #7

CO/Propane alarm?

Tags
electric