Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Electrical Hookup at Truck Stops

Hi all

I have recently downloaded the Pilot Flying J app as I plan to fuel and overnight at their truck stops. I have linked my Good Sam’s card, my credit card and my military ID for max discounts. I have also found that I can see if any Pilot location is RV friendly and offered amenities. However, I can’t determine if there is electrical hookups at any given location. Electric is my primary concern as I would like to run the A/C.

Does anyone know if these truck stops have 30 amp electrical hookups at the RV friendly locations?

Thanks
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

In my travels, I have never seen an electrical hook up at a Pilot or and truck stop/rest area. Best bet is to plan your trip, find a campground to stay overnight. Happy travels.
jarrettfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Hi all

I have recently downloaded the Pilot Flying J app as I plan to fuel and overnight at their truck stops. I have linked my Good Sam’s card, my credit card and my military ID for max discounts. I have also found that I can see if any Pilot location is RV friendly and offered amenities. However, I can’t determine if there is electrical hookups at any given location. Electric is my primary concern as I would like to run the A/C.

Does anyone know if these truck stops have 30 amp electrical hookups at the RV friendly locations?

Thanks
I've never seen that at any of the Pilots I've used. I seriously doubt they have that.
Truckers don't need that since they just keep the engine running.
RV friendly doesn't mean free electricity.[emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Always Learning

I know I've seen a couple where there was some sort of box that went into the truck's window and it may have had a cord, but I don't think it had a 30amp plug and would overall not be friendly for RVs to use in the same way.

If you need electricity, you need a generator.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Some truck stops are installing stations that allow the truckers to shut down their engines but maintain cooled or heated cabs as well as communication functions.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've been using the Flying J's and Pilots for years east of the Mississippi.
I've been a long time member and use their apps too.

R/V friendly just means designated R/V lanes for fueling, water and dumping.

With that said, some locations definition of R/V friendly is less than optimum.
Some designate the last pump in the main fueling area as R/V. Unfortunately, most people use those lanes to fuel their autos and pickups so they most always have vehicles in them when a R/V pulls in.

In the many, many locations I've been in, I have never see any electrical hook-ups available for R/Vs, truckers or otherwise.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #7

Dang…

I wasn’t looking for free electricity but was hoping there would be a pay what you use hook up to run the ac.

I’ve noticed you can make reservations for an RV spot at these truck stops and was told they are about $18 a night. I would gladly pay that for a 30a hook up instead of $50 or so at a campground…

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #8
Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel

Truck Stops

Good grief! Why are people expecting to stay at truck stops? Spend the few bucks and stay in an RV Park! The nerve of people who think they can take up a trucks parking space is just astounding. These truckers make their living on the toad and have to have a place to park. RVs should stay out of truck stops. The truck stops should prohibit RVs from parking at their locations.
ebecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
Site Team

I see where they have 'Prime' truck parking for about $20 a nite, but I don't see any RV designated parking. If you see reservable RV parking, I'd call them and find out the particulars. They may indeed have powered sites.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #10

Prime does not include an electric hook-up. We often park at a Pilot or Flying J if we are traveling though and not unhooking our tow. But we run our generator. Very few of tbe truckvstops have the newer hook-ups mentioned in one post - I have only seen them at 1 truck stop so far out of many stops. If you don't have a generator over night at a truck stop may not be foe you.
GeorgetownSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Bama Rambler has it right.
Some truck stops have a box you can put in our window for heat of cold air.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebecker View Post
Good grief! Why are people expecting to stay at truck stops? Spend the few bucks and stay in an RV Park! The nerve of people who think they can take up a trucks parking space is just astounding. These truckers make their living on the toad and have to have a place to park. RVs should stay out of truck stops. The truck stops should prohibit RVs from parking at their locations.

Agreed no reason to stay at a designated truck stop , also no reason for truckers to stay in rest areas . and rest areas should prohibit semis from rest areas after all they have truck stops they can go to .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
X2!! let them rest so they don't fall asleep as they pass you and run you into a concrete pillar.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #14

Parking in a truck stop would be my last choice and the truck drivers would not take kindly that you would be taking up space. Find an RV park.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #15

Flying J hookups

i have only seen 1 FJ prime parking with elect. for RV's in Idaho Falls. 30a only no other services @ $12/night. $5 Extra to dump w/FJ card. We just call ahead. They are working on expansion to other locations
Crtoppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Agreed no reason to stay at a designated truck stop , also no reason for truckers to stay in rest areas . and rest areas should prohibit semis from rest areas after all they have truck stops they can go to .
Not exactly. I can show you stretches of Interstate out West where truck stops are far and few between. Rest areas have spaces for Trucks AND RV's. Not RV's exclusively.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not exactly. I can show you stretches of Interstate out West where truck stops are far and few between. Rest areas have spaces for Trucks AND RV's. Not RV's exclusively.
Not only that but some states are shutting down rest areas, forcing even more trucks to park on the shoulders of highway exit ramps. Not a good trend.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Truckers have to use rest area's because on any given night the is a shortage of over 1,000,000 parking spots for truck drivers. Truck drivers are required by law to take a certain amount of time off each day, so they have to utilize off ramps, on ramps, rest areas and other open spaces. They do not have the luxury of a KOA or Good Sam park each night
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:

Dude, go on the Pilot app, they have designated RV parking specifically for overnight parking…🙄

Also, I’ve planned a big trip for my kids and my situation doesn’t leave me with much excess funds, so yeah, the 4 days it’s going to take to get to my destination with require 3 nights in truck stops or Walmart parking lots.

I hope you can understand that not all dads are in financial situations where money is no object. I gotta do what I gotta do to show my kids parts of this country they may never see otherwise.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgetownSal View Post
Prime does not include an electric hook-up. We often park at a Pilot or Flying J if we are traveling though and not unhooking our tow. But we run our generator. Very few of tbe truckvstops have the newer hook-ups mentioned in one post - I have only seen them at 1 truck stop so far out of many stops. If you don't have a generator over night at a truck stop may not be foe you.
Do you use one of those quiet generators?

I have an 8000 watt Generac that I could probably load into the bed if my truck but it’s LOUD. Are those allowed at truck stops?

Tags
electric, electrical, truck