Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #1

Electrical question

good evening everyone, I have an easy question for someone, I'm sure. I took my RF Wildwood Xlite 181 out for its maiden voyage. just spent one night in a local campground about 30 spaces amongst the trees. Backing in was no problem, (glad I practiced in a parking lot) I had no hook up but knew it ahead of time. I disconnected the TV and used my batteries and on board water, didn't need hot water or fridge. My question is: my daughter went to charge her cell phone using the AC plugs and none of them seemed to work. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance
PokerDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #2

Yes. The AC sockets only work when you have an AC electrical hookup from your campsite.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #3

" I had no hook up but knew it ahead of time". Based on this statement one would assume that you literally had "no hook up". That would mean: NO water, NO sewer, NO electricity, commonly referred to as "boondocking". So--having NO power at the AC plugs would be correct.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDealer View Post
good evening everyone, I have an easy question for someone, I'm sure. I took my RF Wildwood Xlite 181 out for its maiden voyage. just spent one night in a local campground about 30 spaces amongst the trees. Backing in was no problem, (glad I practiced in a parking lot) I had no hook up but knew it ahead of time. I disconnected the TV and used my batteries and on board water, didn't need hot water or fridge. My question is: my daughter went to charge her cell phone using the AC plugs and none of them seemed to work. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance
Hi pokerdealer the 12 volt battery's will power the lights, frig, water pump, furnace, so any thing that is powered by 12 volts DC is powered by the battery's. The battery's output is limited by the watt hours the battery is ratted at. you should never drain the battery down to less than 35-40% of charge. If you drain the battery all the way down you will damage it. The damaged battery will not store as much power resulting in a dead battery at a faster pass every time it is run dead. To have 110 volts from the plugs you will need a power inverter wired into the trailer to change the 12 volts DC to 110 Volts AC. Or have trailer plunged into generator.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #5

Look around your trailer especially behind the TV. There may be a 12 volt socket just like in the car for the cigarette lighter. use one of those adapters and then you can charge the phone.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Mark Polk has a good article that helps explain the different electrical systems on a RV..

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Or visit this Website-
The 12 Volt Side of Life
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 AM   #8
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Look around your trailer especially behind the TV. There may be a 12 volt socket just like in the car for the cigarette lighter. use one of those adapters and then you can charge the phone.
Ditto - you'll need a 12V USB adapter, avail at most big box stores, and use the phone's USB cable to charge.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 AM   #9

You can buy a inverter, small one or large one and hook to battery

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

@ "TimVWulp": When looking for a new TT last January I was told by the salesperson that none of the RV manufacturers make a fridge that runs off of 12vDC anymore. He invited me to view all the new units on the grounds, including 5'vers and coaches, and I would not find a 12vDC fridge. Interesting new news to me.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Thanks

I just dropped my TT off for some touch up warranty work, and they showed me the 12v/USB adapter. It is nice but they want two hours labor.... no thanks. Looking at the work they do now, I told them to leave it be. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
@ "TimVWulp": When looking for a new TT last January I was told by the salesperson that none of the RV manufacturers make a fridge that runs off of 12vDC anymore. He invited me to view all the new units on the grounds, including 5'vers and coaches, and I would not find a 12vDC fridge. Interesting new news to me.
Some A Frames and pop ups still have a small 3-way frig (120v, 12v and LP). Running on 12v will drain a battery very quickly, unless you are charging the battery with your car alternator or using solar panels. Most use LP when electric is not available.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
That is interesting news. However, I'm not sure if Tim was referring to a 3-way (electric, propane, 12 volt) fridge or a 2-way fridge (electric, propane). Either way, to operate off propane, you still have to have 12 volt DC, just like the furnace. It powers the control board/thermostat for the fridge on propane..............as well as the fan and control/thermostats for the furnace. Both of these appliances will work as long as you have 12 volts and propane........... and don't require 120 volt AC if not available.

Since Tim mentioned the furnace, I'm pretty sure he also meant the fridge on propane too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDealer View Post
I just dropped my TT off for some touch up warranty work, and they showed me the 12v/USB adapter. It is nice but they want two hours labor.... no thanks. Looking at the work they do now, I told them to leave it be. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP
If you locate a factory 12V outlet in your rig, get this and surface mount it:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00Z1762Z4

You can also hard wire it to a 12V source.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

I ended up buying a dual socket that has a 12v receptacle and USB connection. I also bought a 12ft extension cord with 16ga. wire. I'll just cut it to size and splice it in when I find access to power. It will be an easy first project. Project number 2, install stainless backsplash around stove. #3 septic hose container I saw on this site..... looked like a great install for my poles.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #16
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There's also a portable charger/battery pak that you charge up off 120v. and will transfer it's power to a cell phone a couple times.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #17

Depending on your MH, Yes, that could be normal. Your 110 comes from shore power, a generator, Or, an inverter (converts 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC.)

If you just need to run small stuff, i.e. Lap top, Cell charger, small TV you can wire in a small 400 watt invert. Most inverters will consume a small amount of power, even when turned off, so consider this if you decide to wire one.

Here is a sample of how I wired one in to use while we are traveling

Installing small 400 watt inverter | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 09-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #18
RV Vagabond Jerry

Many motorhomes such as the Georgetown have a 3-way system that automatically selects power sources. Priority 1 is from the DC batteries, priority 2 is from AC and 3 from propane.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical