Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #1

Electrical shock when touching camper

2018 Salem Cruise Lite. I'm plugged in at home to a standard 120v garage outlet with an rv extension cord and a progressive SSP 30x surge protector. I touched the metal bug guard over the water heater and could feel an electrical buzz.

I started playing around with things and noticed I only get the shock when the surge protector is connected. Plugging straight in to the outlet I feel no shock. The surge protector indicates correct wiring, however when it's been wet out in the past has indicated an open neutral at the same outlet.

I'm baffled as I only get the shock when the surge protector is connected. Any ideas?
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

Several things could case this but the first thing I would look for is a screw or staple cutting into hot side of lead. Check around all receipt and 115 volt switches. Also check breaker and panel mounting. Use high resistance ohm meter set at 100 + K to be trace back to breaker. MAKE ALL TEST WITH POWER (ELECT) OFF.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm currently on a mobile device, but if you can go to the electrical forum in the tech talk subforum, we keep a sticky at the top of it called I get shocked when I touch my RV. It will explains the causes and what to check for.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm currently on a mobile device, but if you can go to the electrical forum in the tech talk subforum, we keep a sticky at the top of it called I get shocked when I touch my RV. It will explains the causes and what to check for.

Here's the link: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

Had the the exact same problem with my rv trailer.. It turns out to be a in wiring of the house 120 volt plug in... the ground and hot wires were reversed.. Also make sure your use a 3 prong plug (with ground).. You can buy a cheap voltage plug "checker" at the local home store to check your circuit to see if it is wired correctly.. or....
You can also purchase a plug tester such as:
https://www.amazon.com/DMiotech-Rece...ateway&sr=8-14
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

First thing is step away from the trailer immediately and turn the power off. This is called a "hot skin" condition and can be lethal. Find the cause and repair before touching the RV or using it.

A hot skin can be cause by a defective ground somewhere between the source panel in a house, adapter at the receptacle being plugged into, a bad adapter, bad portable surge protector, bad shore power plug or bad connection at detachable power inlet. I can be caused in conjunction with a reversed polarity receptacle.

Check and see if the plug blades on the surge protector and shore power cord are clean and shiny. Use some emery cloth if needed. Note that plugging into a pedestal or receptacle without turning off the power first results in pitting and carbon tracking on the contact surfaces and a poor connection. In some cases, dirty plug blades will overheat and melt.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
jkoenig24

Add one or two other "faults" and, you have a POTENTIALLY FATAL condition! Mike Sokol has an EXCELLENT book "No Shock Zone" available as an ebook or print from Amazon. If you don't have a "non-contact voltage tested" GET ONE ASAP and use it according to instructions. They're available at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Menard's and MANY other places. A basic model costs ~ $10. Using the NCVT, check to see if it's safe (not energized) to shut off the power at the pedestal and then unplug the RV. Mike is in the Hagerstown, MD area and, will be presenting basic and advanced seminars on Saturday, June 8th. You can find details on RVTravel.com. I think there are still some seats available. DON"T IGNORE THIS SERIOUS PROBLEM!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
Had the the exact same problem with my rv trailer.. It turns out to be a in wiring of the house 120 volt plug in... the ground and hot wires were reversed.. Also make sure your use a 3 prong plug (with ground).. You can buy a cheap voltage plug "checker" at the local home store to check your circuit to see if it is wired correctly.. or....
You can also purchase a plug tester such as:
https://www.amazon.com/DMiotech-Rece...ateway&sr=8-14
His Progressive surge protector monitors reverse polarity, open neutral and open ground. Sounds like its on the trailer side.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp-30x
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
First thing is step away from the trailer immediately and turn the power off. This is called a "hot skin" condition and can be lethal. Find the cause and repair before touching the RV or using it.

A hot skin can be cause by a defective ground somewhere between the source panel in a house, adapter at the receptacle being plugged into, a bad adapter, bad portable surge protector, bad shore power plug or bad connection at detachable power inlet. I can be caused in conjunction with a reversed polarity receptacle.

Check and see if the plug blades on the surge protector and shore power cord are clean and shiny. Use some emery cloth if needed. Note that plugging into a pedestal or receptacle without turning off the power first results in pitting and carbon tracking on the contact surfaces and a poor connection. In some cases, dirty plug blades will overheat and melt.
X2 for me had the same thing, 57 volts from the ground to the trailer frame which if your wet can kill you, my problem was old house wiring without the ground wire, install a new line 3-12 gauge wire/ 20amp breaker and a 3 prong receptacle, fixed my problem
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #10

Had the same problem, hot skin. Found out the old house had three prong outlets, but the electrician jumped the neutral to the ground at the outlet. It got real exciting when an electric lawn mower was plugged into the outlet.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

Thanks for the feedback and help. I did pick up a non contact voltage detector and spent two nights after work checking connections and pulling apart outlets. I found nothing so I pulled it to another location, plugged it in and all was good. It's in my garage wiring at home. The NCVT is a great tool to have as my garage outlet checks out according to the 3 light tester plugs.
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, electric, electrical