Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #41
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
The time has come, much to quickly, for us to end our RVing travels. Not from age, although we are getting up there, but for reasons we never thought would happen. Since the onset of the COVID mess we have noted a decline in the friendliness for the camping world. Folks just aren't the same, or maybe they are but just project a different personality than before. Maybe it's the over crowding of the campgrounds, the mind numbing lead time for a site reservation or the unprecedented traffic that pushed us to our discussion. For whatever the reason was, it caused a lot of anxiety and unhappiness to the point where the thought of getting out was truly a chore and effort.
So, to the friends we made over the years we say, enjoy as much as you can given the changes in the lifestyle and be safe in your travels.
I'd be remiss if I didn't thank all those who provided me with advice over the years on our journey to here. Thank you all and happy travels.

Maggiek
Maggiek, Iím sorry to hear youíre disappointed with your camping experiences lately. I can relate to the ridiculous campsite reservation game that exists now. Since youíre in Kingston, NS (Atlantic Canada) I canít imagine you have to deal with the types of political crap that some posters are talking about but I wouldnít be surprised to hear that folks are less inclined to be sociable. After all, weíre just getting through 2 years of social distancing.

If we had to give up camping, I donít think Iíd be comfortable with hotelling quite yet. I would never consider getting a permanent seasonal spot in a campground. Iíve heard too many stories about too friendly neighbours. I like my privacy. I do kind of like the idea of buying a small property and parking the trailer there. Basically create your own private campsite. Of course thatís dependent upon your financial situation.

Whatever route you choose, I wish you good luck and good health.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 09-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #42

One last comment if I may, well maybe a few. First, thanks to those who expressed understanding of our decission; and secondly thanks to those who expressed a view that we really tried to adhere to. For some context on the second observations. Yes we are a bit further north of almost all the respondents and likely most of those who only read the comments and kept their opinion to them selves.
We did try to keep an open mind during this COVID mess and economic climate of today. Unfortunately, our enjoyment of the opportunities presented by the various venues that we always enjoyed have become places where folks just have a need to express their thoughts and expectations about everything has become the norm. Several cafe, shop and theater owner/managers whom we have known for years are also frustrated. But they have mouths to feed so are trapped. We aren't. We have tried several provincial campgrounds (similar to state parks) and private camps. The provincial parks are definitely less habitable than the private camps, but all are subject to the same problem. I have no doubt that most of the folks that are letting loose are fine hard working and God fearing, community minded people. Maybe, maybe not but I'd like to think they are. We all know that some folks sometimes put on a different "personna" when they'er not home. Given the new norms that society has given us, this new batch of RV'er may be the result. Maybe they're just expressing dissatisfaction with whatever got them to the campground we've been going to for years. Didn't help our relaxation.
Now, with that said coupled with the new reservation requirements, rising fuel costs, etc. Well, as I said, the fun is gone and it had become a chore to go camping hoping to find the old thrill of quiet walks, pleasant conversation and meeting new friends. Now we will visit family and friends based from a hotel rather a RV. Can we control the environment? No. But it is easier to go on the spur of the moment than plan and pay for two weeks next year and hope the weather is good. We really liked our RV experience, now the time has come to make a change. Again, thanks to all those who supported our decision and to those who are still persevering. May you continue to enjoy your travels and keep your powder dry, you might need it. Bye all. Maggiek
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
Old 09-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #43

Most of our camping adventures over the last 50 years have been boondocking.
Though we were out of camping for several years, we still had the urge. We bought a MH and toad. But to us, commercial campgrounds do not have the allure. We went back to two fixed homes, one of them a mobile home in a very friendly park. Times change and people change, but our camping memories are fond memories. For certain, there is life after camping and we are enjoying it.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #44

My DW and I have been camping for 15 years now. We did not let Covid get in the way of our enjoyment of the pastime. We still averaged over the two-year overblown pandemic 50-60 nights camping. And we did not have any trouble or notice any difference in attitudes or any type of rudeness with the many many folks we met along the way, except everyone was sick of hearing Covid, Covid, Covid.

Seeing the OP is from Canada, and having a sister and sister-in-law who also live there I can somewhat understand the frustration the OP has experienced trying to deal with the government-heavy mandates placed upon the folks living in that country. No wonder they would run across surely people, we've noticed it just talking on the phone or Zoom with sis or s/law their dejected attitude about almost everything at times because of being brow beaten by the politicians.

Many posts have taken what I believe is the proper attitude of not letting others dictate what they enjoy when to enjoy it, where, and their ability to do what they want to do.

Today I cringe when I go into a store or restaurant and still see people wearing masks. To me, they have given their rights of freedom believing everything they are told by folks like Dr. Fauci.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 09-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
... Today I cringe when I go into a store or restaurant and still see people wearing masks. To me, they have given their rights of freedom believing everything they are told by folks like Dr. Fauci.
Wait.. isn't one of their 'rights of freedom' being able to wear a mask if they desire? Many people wear masks during flu season (yes, even before covid), especially in some foreign countries.
Only in the USA is wearing a mask seen by a certain group as giving up freedom. Geesh....
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Wait.. isn't one of their 'rights of freedom' being able to wear a mask if they desire? Many people wear masks during flu season (yes, even before covid), especially in some foreign countries.
Only in the USA is wearing a mask seen by a certain group as giving up freedom. Geesh....
It's not the wearing of masks it's the forced wearing of masks, big difference . since they do nothing to stop the spread of viruses it's a personal choice that should remain personal and not mandated as if it makes a difference . People should not push their fears on others out of ignorance or mass hysteria perpetrated by the media . I want to add that it's nobodies business if you want to wear a mask nor should people care what others do and those that make a big deal about people wearing masks are as bad as those that tried to mandate it .
Old 09-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #47

Mr. M, Ditto!

Yes, part of our freedom is to choose, but when choices are made based often on biased or false information that in effect negates the freedom of choice, with decisions now made out of fear.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 09-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Mr. M, Ditto!

Yes, part of our freedom is to choose, but when choices are made based often on biased or false information that in effect negates the freedom of choice, with decisions now made out of fear.
Oh, I agree with that, but that is not at all what you said in your initial statement. Masks are no longer mandated anywhere I go, so when someone wears one, it is their choice for whatever reason and that does not concern me. Just like it my choice not to go to certain offices that still have a mask requirement taped to their door.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Today I cringe when I go into a store or restaurant and still see people wearing masks. To me, they have given their rights of freedom believing everything they are told by folks like Dr. Fauci.
You can cringe all you want. I wear a mask to protect my bedridden spouse. Until our care nurse and aid stop wearing masks when they enter my home, I'm wearing a mask. Both are fully vacinated and have caught covid within the past two months from patients or family members.
Sorry. This thread is starting to sound political.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You can cringe all you want. I wear a mask to protect my bedridden spouse. Until our care nurse and aid stop wearing masks when they enter my home, I'm wearing a mask. Both are fully vacinated and have caught covid within the past two months from patients or family members.
Sorry. This thread is starting to sound political.
You think? To bad we donít have a like button..lolÖ

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 09-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Oh, I agree with that, but that is not at all what you said in your initial statement. Masks are no longer mandated anywhere I go, so when someone wears one, it is their choice for whatever reason and that does not concern me. Just like it my choice not to go to certain offices that still have a mask requirement taped to their door.
Absolutely ! I did add it's a personal choice and people shouldn't frown on wearing masks or not , to each their own . i would not patronize anywhere that forced me to wear a mask . I have enough breathing problems .
Old 09-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #52
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You think? To bad we don’t have a like button..lol…

Actually need a no like button.
Can't have one without the other. Amazon took away the unhelpful button on reviews and life is no longer the same. Disagreeing is offensive as are opposing views.

And this thread will get locked in 3...2...1

Old 09-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #53
Site Team

Thread being closed for further review,

EDIT: The site team has deleted several posts that were against the site guidelines. There are several left that really are off-topic hijacks of the original intent of the thread. As such, this thread has really wandered and is going to remain closed for the sake of community harmony.

Whatís worse than a box full of snakes?
A box that was SUPPOSED to be full of snakes.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel