Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #1

End of our travels

The time has come, much to quickly, for us to end our RVing travels. Not from age, although we are getting up there, but for reasons we never thought would happen. Since the onset of the COVID mess we have noted a decline in the friendliness for the camping world. Folks just aren't the same, or maybe they are but just project a different personality than before. Maybe it's the over crowding of the campgrounds, the mind numbing lead time for a site reservation or the unprecedented traffic that pushed us to our discussion. For whatever the reason was, it caused a lot of anxiety and unhappiness to the point where the thought of getting out was truly a chore and effort.
So, to the friends we made over the years we say, enjoy as much as you can given the changes in the lifestyle and be safe in your travels.
I'd be remiss if I didn't thank all those who provided me with advice over the years on our journey to here. Thank you all and happy travels.

Maggiek
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
Old 08-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

We're sorry you're leaving the rving lifestyle.

I'm sad to say that we are among the 'unfriendly' people at present. Covid19 is still killing people we know so we're keeping our distance from people.

You need to do what makes you happy and it sounds like rving has become a source of unhappiness. Perhaps in the future things will change and you'll decide to rejoin the rvers.

Good luck in whatever makes you happy. Life's too short.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #3

I understand where you're coming from. We feel the same way. We used to enjoy heading out for 2-3 days at a time, but every place is so crowded now and camping manners are a thing of the past. We're trying to look at it differently. RV is paid for so our only costs are gas and maintenance. We use it for local travel (curbside restaurants, wife's shopping) and plan to travel west next fall and just think of the campgrounds as rest stops.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have to do what makes sense for you.

For us, it has been a bit of a different experience since COVID.
Yes, lead times can be longer for popular places and some places were busy... but... we are now finding the COVID fad has worn off on some and it isn't as busy recently.

And to follow up on on reverse_snowbird's statement, many folks are keeping their distance so no kids/teens running through our campsite or screaming their lungs out.

Are there still concerns... sure but there really always have been. We just look at things differently now.

Best of luck to you.
We've been camping for the better part of 50 years and plan to do so until we can't.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 08-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #5

For me I've come to far to let the actions of others dictate my life. I earned it I'm spending it. And really don't care what others think. If you want to be friends great sit down have a drink, share a story. If you want to be a jerk well you just may not win that battle. But Don't think your actions will dictate mine or run me off. People are just giving in to easy to things they know are wrong.

Off my soap box now. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #6

Go stationary?

Before you get rid of the RV, consider finding a home for it at a campground you like, with others who are permanent. That's what we do. The trailer is at a friendly resort year round, about 150 miles from our home (and about halfway between our home and DW's daughter + grandkids). We try to spend about 30% of our time there. No setup, just drive there, store the food we brought, and turn on water, gas, and heat or A/C. The bicycle and golf cart are already there. The indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, game room, mini-golf, petanque, horseshoes, chess, sand and water volleyball, darts, pickleball, weight room, restaurant, and snack bar are available for entertainment or refreshment if we don't feel like cooking. No extra charges for any of this except food, game room, and massages.

But best of all we know the other residents and they know us. They know we will continue to see them and they will see us. That makes for a much more mannerly and considerate environment. Very rare to see rudeness.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 08-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #7
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
Since the onset of the COVID mess we have noted a decline in the friendliness for the camping world. Folks just aren't the same, or maybe they are but just project a different personality than before. Maybe it's the over crowding of the campgrounds,
Maggiek
I think it all depends on the campgrounds you use/frequent.
We have friends we have made over the last 7 years and continue to make new friends every year. We look forward to seeing them every year or so.
Depending on the campgrounds I disagree with the "overcrowding". I can't remember the last time we were in a CG that was full, granted we do our camping Nov - May.
Just an observation from a Part-Time Camp Host.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
Old 08-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #8
D W

Many, many years ago my bride and I resigned ourselves to the fact that we weren't about to let the actions of others dictate our lifestyle. Yes, we do have some State lands that are deemed "Trooper Unfriendly", meaning that they are inhabited by derelicts and low life's. Most Alaskans avoid those areas and leave that ilk to be dealt with by the Troopers.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 08-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #9

Same experience

Quote:
The time has come, much to quickly, for us to end our RVing travels. Not from age, although we are getting up there, but for reasons we never thought would happen. Since the onset of the COVID mess we have noted a decline in the friendliness for the camping world. Folks just aren't the same, or maybe they are but just project a different personality than before. Maybe it's the over crowding of the campgrounds, the mind numbing lead time for a site reservation or the unprecedented traffic that pushed us to our discussion. For whatever the reason was, it caused a lot of anxiety and unhappiness to the point where the thought of getting out was truly a chore and effort.
So, to the friends we made over the years we say, enjoy as much as you can given the changes in the lifestyle and be safe in your travels.
I'd be remiss if I didn't thank all those who provided me with advice over the years on our journey to here. Thank you all and happy travels.

Maggiek
We’ve only been in this lifestyle since 2019, but still pre COVID. We’ve experienced everything you mentioned from day one. Maybe due to California, but getting a decent campsite has always been at least a 6 month lead time, often coupled with an epic online battle I wish it was different and wish you well.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Old 08-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #10

I will never stop going out there, it is too important.
I make some confessions now. I don't camp much in July August except for backcountry or remote river trips. I focus on spring, fall and winter. I camp in out of the way places and go during the week.

In the West, boondocking is possible all over the place with no one around. Then the actions of other people are not an issue.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #11

Midwest experience has been different for us. Many outings this year mostly in state, COE, and county parks in WI, MI, IA, MN, IL. So far everyone we encountered was nice and we could usually get in to places we wanted although a few of the real popular sites might have been booked up. Personally I enjoyed it much better than what hotels had become before the pandemic. Maybe we have just been lucky.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #12

I also agree with parking your trailer in an RV resort of some type. This way you can still enjoy the benefits of your RV and meet your neighbors who also stay by your permanent site. You can than adventure out on day trips and learn of the various features in the area.

We also parked our trailer in an RV resort this year in SW MI. and this for us was the best thing to do. We stop traveling not because of COVID-19 but simply not wanting to pull our 5er around Lake MI to stay somewhere anymore. The resort we stay at, 90% of the people are friendly and either wave or stop and talk as you/they go by a site.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:

Maggiek

It's to bad you let others dictate your choices in life . I've met nothing but friendly and nice people and very few who aren't social .

This was the best Summer to hit places like Yellowstone . most campgrounds in West Yellowstone are only 50% full .I think the early flooding and gas prices drove them away . I know reservations in many weekend hot spots are tough But the solution is looking for boondocking places where your not so close to others . 2015 was the first time ever staying in a campground and have never been turned away , but i booked for seasonal stays and travel overnight stays was never a issue across the country .. Before 2015 it was always dry camping at some mountain lake or river or up hunting never made a reservation then just pulled up and camped .

Good luck finding that uncrowded piece of heaven !
Old 08-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Before you get rid of the RV, consider finding a home for it at a campground you like, with others who are permanent. That's what we do.
I think Larry is on to something........................

My experiences have been good. The only issue I have of recent is people bring their politics to the campground. Tee shirts, political introductions, and even banners.

This past Winter in FL, I met people who predicated our initial introduction with a question about my "Party affiliation". Really?

Covid hasn't been an issue for us other than the mutual dance around whether or not to shake hands upon initial introductions.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #15

X2 on the permanent site. We chose a campground on Lake of the Pines. About 40 spots and only half full. It is very quiet there. We love it and it is on a great fishing lake. It is a little over an hour away from home.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 08-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #16

Campgrounds

We mostly use state park campgrounds, Corps of Engineers campgrounds, or National Park campgrounds. We avoid commercial campgrounds.

I tend to just overlook most folks. I enjoy my morning walk with a coffee cup in hand, saying "good morning" to those folks outside, but staying on the pathway. If someone desires to chat, I'll carry on a general conversation, avoiding politics (you won't like my opinion anyway) and other controversial topics. The trees are nice, the flowers are pretty, the facility is well maintained and I always find something to complement their rig or location. I'm just a good ole Southern fellow, raised with grace and politeness. You'd never know I have a Doctorate in whatever, cause you'd likely not be interested nor would you understand. Just no sense in bringing that up.

Bob
Old 09-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #17

Camp and trail etiquette are sadly very lacking today. With the new influx of so many people discovering the outdoors for the first time, the parks are a hot mess. If there are places you really want to go, your trigger finger better be ready on the first day of the reservation window.Timed entrance tickets, timed trail tickets, the list of aggravations is getting endless. Sadly the parks are in disrepair, the facilities lacking, the parking lots overcrowded. Most of the infrastructure is from the 1930's, and unless Teddy Roosevelt suddenly reappears, the parks will never be funded fully. It's 2022 and most National Parks don't have showers, and the internet...dream on. Let's face it, every deck of cards has 2 jokers, and sometimes the campgrounds have a loaded deck of jokers. I don't really want to listen to your music, or hear you carrying on into the wee hours of the morning, and trust me I will be calling the rangers. I not real fond of seeing your camper plastered with political banners(you know who you are). Politics, much as religion should be left at the doorstep. Frankly, no one cares what you believe in. Have all the fun you want, but when it imposes on others you look like a moron.
So, I suspect in a few years there will be lots of used campers on the market once a lot of people figure out that maybe camping wasn't the best idea for them, but I also believe that unless we spend massively on the park system things won't change that much. Let's face it, if you own a big rig your chances are slim of ever finding a spot. Try going off season or finding a gem of a state park close by. If you want to hit Yosemite or Yellowstone, Acadia or any other popular park peak season just be prepared for the Disneyland experience.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #18

Not RVing as much but still having good RV experiences.

I have been RVing since 1968 and campgrounds have gotten busier for decades. My newest RV is a Forrest River Solera 24MS motorhome that I purchased in 2012 after I finished with my treatment for an incurable immune system cancer. I catch just about anything bacterial or viral.

That said, I went to Alaska in 2013 for the first time since I left there 40 years earlier. Got sick in Prince George, BC on our way to the Cassier Highway and had to spend a week getting better before I could continue. Had no further health problems for the 4 months we were traveling.

We have made numerous trips lasting months long up until 2019. That year we traveled to the UK spending a week on the Scottish border in a rented house and another week in central London at a hotel near Westminster bridge. No health issues on that trip either.

January 2020 took my RV to New Orleans for a week for my wife's birthday and got a cold on the way home. Recovered by the middle of February only to get ill around February 22 after attending a great grandsons birthday. Ended up being transported by ambulance to the hospital March 13th with influenza A&B as well as double pneumonia. This was the same day that many hospitals first started testing for COVID-19. Made two short one week trips before the end of the year within the state.

2021 just made a couple of one week trips to state parks.

2022 We decided to venture out for a two week trip in June to East Texas and Arkansas State parks. Had no health problems and no real problems getting reservations. Only issues we had was availability of a replacement tire for our towed Honda FIT and some diesel fuel issues in smaller Arkansas towns.

As we head into our 80's we hope to be able to continue to enjoy our motorhome. Biggest issue for us is dealing with crowds so the RV is the best way for us to be able to travel and avoid the crowds. I have had the Moderna vaccine and booster but I don't develop the needed antibodies. My wife has had the other vaccine and booster. She deals with the public for me and does the shopping. She has Lupus but together we get by.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #19

The parents were trying to adjust the 'attitude' of their twin boys. One the eternal optimist, the other a dreary pessimist.
When Christmas came around, the pessimist's gifts raised the toy industry stock prices. Under the tree and piled against the wall were every toy you could imagine. His response? "Look at all of this junk and garbage!"

The optimist was given only a large cardboard box full of horse manure. His response?
In his excitement he was madly digging through the manure scattering it throughout the room and onto the Christmas tree while proclaiming "You can't fool me! Where there's horse manure there's gotta be a pony!"

Attitude and morale come from inside.
I'll stay with my RV a bit longer.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #20

My wife and I love to RV. We spent most of the covid period boondocking with friends and family in the Gila National Forest in remote canyons. Perfection!
While we mainly boondock, we also enjoy RVing to RV resorts, rallies, music festivals, and NASCAR. If you expect to get any peace and quiet at these public places, you are in for a rude awakening. I enjoy most folks I meet, but there are always curmudgeons complaining about everything. I do believe it reflects more on the type of person the complainer is, than the people they are complaining about.
We usually have a good time wherever we are, and if we don't, it is no one's fault but ours. That is why RVs have wheels
We will have an RV until we can't physically get it done anymore. Then we will probably stick to cruises and trains....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Closed Thread

Tags
travel