Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #21

Wow, quite a few trips from Hell here!

Pulling a mere pup, and living in Brooklyn, NY, our biggest problem is getting into and out of NY city without violating any of the traffic laws. This means no roads that have "parkway" in the name, no tunnels, and only the upper level of the George Washington Bridge. I carefully plotted our route with Google Maps on the computer, and took pix for my iPad the night before. After we had crossed the RFK (Triboro) bridge, ALL of our mapping systems tried to send us onto the Manhattan streets to get us to the GWB! We had Garmin, Google maps, Apple maps, and they all went crazy. I relied on my research and the firm belief that the GWB was accessible from I95, and got us through without error, but the Garmin's lane assist would have been great. DH did a marvelous job of moving across 3 lanes of heavy traffic at a moment's notice, but my heart was in my throat. Coming back, true to form, the NJ road signs fouled us up, taking us toward the lower level of the GWB. We got off at the last possible exit and ended up heading south for 10 minutes before we could get off the entrance to the NJ Turnpike. Fortunately, there was a Marriott right in front of us, and the doorman gave me great directions for the GWB.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #22

Yup good ol GPS, trustworthy loyal until it leads you into corner. I remember one time we were near L.A. and the GPS showed us a ramp we can take to the freeway. Wrong that ramp has just started construction and boy was it a bit awkward to back up a bit and take a side street and find another route to get on the freeway. But we did it cost us one hrs time and quarter of a tank to get to other ramp.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote