Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #41
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Doesn't have to be a BIG dog to do that job.

Pop

X2

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #42

We are proud owners of our Rockwood 2618 VS because of a thief.
We had our pop up camper in storage and when we went to retrieve it one fine weekend for an outing, it was gone along with all our gear that we kept inside of it.
Insurance paid for the camper, but we took a hit on the gear. Bought the TT and had to replace everything.
We are traveling to Colorado from Missouri next month and staying in a motel for a quick overnight in KS. Hopefully we don't encounter any thieves or pranksters.
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
We had our pop up camper in storage and when we went to retrieve it one fine weekend for an outing, it was gone along with all our gear that we kept inside of it.
Insurance paid for the camper, but we took a hit on the gear. Bought the TT and had to replace everything.
We are traveling to Colorado from Missouri next month and staying in a motel for a quick overnight in KS. Hopefully we don't encounter any thieves or pranksters.
That happened to a couple at church a couple of years ago. They had just bought the trailer, tested it in the driveway, then put it in a storage yard. A couple of months later, they sent their son over to get it so they could go on vacation. It was gone. Insurance replaced it but the security cameras had been deliberately disabled during the theft. The police figured it was an inside job but had no proof. Never heard if they found it or not. I have a hitch lock on my trailer and a vehicle parked in front of it at night.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Maybe someone else will clarify, but I am to the understanding that you can lock the propane tank to the vehicle, but you can not lock the access door. I believe the fire dept. likes to have access to the valves in case of a fire. Read that one time somewhere about a hundred years ago.
I've also heard that but if the fire department needs to get into that compartment, it's pretty easy for them to open that door. Damage? Yup but pretty minimal. And the likelihood of the fire department needing in? Even more minimal.

Just sayin'.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #45
Campground host Mo. State

is it possible your water heater and your reefer we're both running on electric and you already had the valves on the tanks closed before you left on your trip
Days camped in 2015- 111 in 2016-75 in2017-61
Photogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #46

We keep a tongue lock on our new TT now. Lesson learned.
I just hope the thief is enjoying the camper as much as we did.
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #47

Quote:
There is a nice KOA in Wakeeey KS. We stayed there on our way from St. Louis to Co. A lot cheaper than a hotel room and it was really safe. Seen the local police patrol it a few times while we were there.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #48

I was at Lake Stone CG in FL a few years ago, had gone down to pick up a small fishing boat that I had let my father-n-law use for some years. Since it had bad tires on it I went to Walmaet and brough two new tires and wheels for the long tripe home and put them on the boat at my father-n-law's house then pulled it to the CG and parked it right at the RV. got up the next morning backed out hooked the boat up and took off. About 2 miles down the road i made a left turn and saw the wheel wolbbing, pulled over. Two of the lug bolts were gone and the other two were loose. I through what a mean prank to pull on someone, then it dawn on me that they were trying to stell it and got scared off before they got done.
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #49

Quote:

There are several nice campgrounds in Kansas if you're headed to Colorado on I-70.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #50
"On the road again"

We've never had anyone tamper with it as far as I know - but, anytime we stop and are away from our truck (lunch, shopping, etc.) I always do a walk-around and especially check the fifth wheel hitch. I've just always had a horror of someone releasing that and as I pull away the trailer drops on the truck.

What's the old saying...an ounce of prevention...

DW doesn't laugh at me, she'll frequently ask to make sure I did check the hitch.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #51

Some years back we lost a wheel with new tire off our pup on I-95 not too long after a rest stop. I check lugs often and could not understand why it would come off 800 miles into the trip. This make me wonder if perhaps it had some help.

That is when I found that 'accident forgiveness' still removes any insurance discounts you may have had.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #52

When camping last year I happened to be taking a shower when my water quit!! Luckily my husband happened to be in the camper and I called out to him to see why I had no water. He went outside and checked everything over. We shared a water supply with our neighbors and water had been shut off. Hate to think they would tamper with it but they also had no problem urinating right outside their camper knowing I had a child in my camp!! Oh...and they had a big camper that had bathrooms in it!!
Luv2camp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2camp64 View Post
When camping last year I happened to be taking a shower when my water quit!! Luckily my husband happened to be in the camper and I called out to him to see why I had no water. He went outside and checked everything over. We shared a water supply with our neighbors and water had been shut off. Hate to think they would tamper with it but they also had no problem urinating right outside their camper knowing I had a child in my camp!! Oh...and they had a big camper that had bathrooms in it!!
Yuck!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #54
DDC

This more common than you may think, I've had it done twice, one years ago will we were doing the pop up camper someone removed the pin and lifted the ball catch then put the pin back in the hole luckily I caught it, then a few years ago I had a pin remedy from the Hensley could have been disasterous, always do a check it pays in more ways than you may imagine because it covers your ass at the same time " I checked before we left".
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #55

It is back to integrity, respect, love, caring, compassion and many other words. I would be the one to run and catch or flag someone I thought might have a problem. Man some people are just evil I guess.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #56

I work in a business park and I keep my camper parked behind the building. Came in to work yesterday to find that thieves cut the catalytic converter out of our delivery van and 3 vehicles at the company next door. Of course I immediately checked the camper and it doesn't seem that they touched it. I'm kind of surprised they haven't even stolen my propane bottles yet. I need to get locks on them I guess but not sure that is going to stop them anyway if they want them.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
When at home I loop a cable lock through the tank handles so thief would have to remove both at once (60 # if full) or cut the cable.

Away from home, whether on road or in campgrounds, I unlock it for reasons you describe. Heard firemen may want to move them away from camper.
Firetrucks are equipted with very large cable cutters.
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsont View Post
There is a nice KOA in Wakeeey KS. We stayed there on our way from St. Louis to Co. A lot cheaper than a hotel room and it was really safe. Seen the local police patrol it a few times while we were there.
Also at about the half way point through KS near Jucntion City and Ft Riley is the Milford Lake Reservoir. Very well maintained by the COE and most spots are on the water of the lake. I stayed west side approx 1 month ago.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #59

Have never seen any problems at any Georgia state campground, but maybe that's because it's legal to carry firearms, concealed or not.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #60

Trailer theft prevention when at home even if they could start it it's cold blooded so stalls unless you are used to out of tuned two barrel Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	145643

Tags
travel