Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Exercising long term stored RVs

Many (80%) of the motorhomes and travel trainers in storage facility I utilize, approximately 100, never seem to move. It was the same in my marina when I was a boater. We all know how hard it is on a RV, boat, or even a home, just to sit for long periods of time. I was thinking: if your RV was stored for a long period of time would you utilize a “service” that exercised your stored RV on a monthly basis, including a short drive, 1 hr. exercising the generator, exercising the water system (or checking winterization), electrical/electronic components, tire pressure check, etc. Anyone heard of such a service? Would such a service, provided by an experienced RVer, interest you? What would you be willing to pay for such a service?
A major concern is insurance. I could see that, if a problem surfaced, it would be “my fault.” While there would need to be a jointly agreed upon condition document prior to any service, I’m sure problems would pop up over the course of time. Thoughts?
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #2

There is only one other person, with whom I would trust my RV. I do not let others even wash my RV, even though I can afford it.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
There is only one other person, with whom I would trust my RV. I do not let others even wash my RV, even though I can afford it.
I wouldn't wash your RV even if you paid me to. I'm just not that energetic. So much to do, so little ambition to do it.

oops, shouldn't have said that, now DW will know why not much is getting done.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Many or most RVers are DIY types and wouldn't pay others to do this. Add that to the number (majority?) who don't see any need to do anything at all with their RVs all winter and it may be a hard sell. Interesting idea, though. You actually might get some traction at a dealership that has hundreds units to deal with all winter.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Many or most RVers are DIY types and wouldn't pay others to do this. Add that to the number (majority?) who don't see any need to do anything at all with their RVs all winter and it may be a hard sell. Interesting idea, though. You actually might get some traction at a dealership that has hundreds units to deal with all winter.
If you worked for or were contracted by the dealership that might help with agreements and potential insurance issues.

I wonder about these RVs sometimes... there's a vintage Prevost bus that's been left to decay in the storage lot we use, and plenty of others that never seen to move. I presume these people are paying the monthly storage fees, but one never knows...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Noted it first in a large marina where I berthed for 15 years. Expensive boats that never left their slips for years,with no maintenance and no visitors. But, ask the owner if it's for sale and they are offended. Never understand that kind of thinking.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

Hey! scrapper my thoughts exactly. My DW wonders why the only thing I can get done is golf.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

As a single female, I would gladly pay someone to come to my home, where my rv is stored and do winterization, check over and maintain my equipment, do small repairs and modifications( such as new vent/ frig covers and roof maintenance) for me. Leaving my rv for service at a dealer who wants it left for 2-4 wks. is very inconvenient for me as I don't have a ride for d/o and p/u and they usually are a good distance away.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #9

I am not sure if driving would be a good idea, but exercising the generator, checking tire pressure, checking batteries, etc. Might be something people would use.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

Just a little twist on that. My wife and I will wax our unit 2x per year to keep the jell coat looking ok. It is a job that requires hauling a ladder around if we do it while camping. If the service was available at some campsites and was reasonably priced I would certainly entertain it. The same would hold true for roof maintenance if the campsite would allow it.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
Just a little twist on that. My wife and I will wax our unit 2x per year to keep the jell coat looking ok. It is a job that requires hauling a ladder around if we do it while camping. If the service was available at some campsites and was reasonably priced I would certainly entertain it. The same would hold true for roof maintenance if the campsite would allow it.
Many CG's offer repairs, winterizing and roof maintenance for an extra fee. Some have a contract with a mobile repair company, they don't want someone coming in who doesn't have the expertise or insurance to cover any damage caused. And I know some people say "I give them enough money, I don't want to give them more". My DW is one of them, but the way I see it is if I can't do the job then I'll pay them.

As far as offering a service the OP is thinking about, I'm thinking that your best bet is to join up with a mobile service company/technician and have them support you with advertisement and supplies you need to get the job done. JMHO.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #12

I live in upstate NY, and on a good year there are a few feet of snow wrapped around my trailer. By mid February, on a bad year, it could be 3 or 4 feet. Does the service include moving the snow out of the way and making a path of 20 to 40 feet nessecery to move the trailer to the driveway to get it out of my yard? For me, once it's in, it's in for the season.
Michele and Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

Attic Package heat pads

We have a new Forester 2291. Headed to the west and cold country. Need to know if the Arctic package heat pads only heat the black and grey tanks or do they heat the fresh water tank also?? Thanks much.
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
The CG I stayed winters (changing locations this year) I always had the 5er waxed. Price last year was $4 per foot to wash roof to tires. They did a great job. Price for wash and wax (actually a liquid wax) was $10 per foot. 3 or 4 guys show up and wash using water from their truck. When dry the polish goes on and buffers come out. Looks fantastic when they are done. Hope the new location has someone doing the same service!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 AM   #15

I also see many RVs at my storage lot that never seem to move and some even appear to be abandoned with a flat tire or two but they must be paying monthly storage fees so I don't get it either..more money than brains I suppose.

As far as your idea I do it myself. It's important to me to run the RV monthly for an hours drive, run the generator under load as I don't think it's good for a unit to just sit there without moving in cold weather We (live in Canada) like to take at least one winter trip down to Florida for a few weeks but that still leaves several weeks of cold weather to deal with.

If you're too busy and need to hire someone to do this for you then perhaps you should sell the RV if you're not getting use of it. I love doing all the checking and tinkering myself and for me it's part of the overall ownership experience.

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170ds.
bobbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
As a single female, I would gladly pay someone to come to my home, where my rv is stored and do winterization, check over and maintain my equipment, do small repairs and modifications( such as new vent/ frig covers and roof maintenance) for me. Leaving my rv for service at a dealer who wants it left for 2-4 wks. is very inconvenient for me as I don't have a ride for d/o and p/u and they usually are a good distance away.
Maybe you could find a RV service guy that would be able to work on your RV under the table on his off time ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Maybe you could find a RV service guy that would be able to work on your RV under the table on his off time ???
Or find a mobile tech...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote