Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #1

Extended warranty

We are wondering what others think about the purchase of the extended warranty.
Caligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

Four years in, no major problems. I am glad that I did not buy one.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl View Post
We are wondering what others think about the purchase of the extended warranty.
Which "the extended warranty"? There are multiple ones, most are ripoffs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

IMO you will get 70-80% against and 20-30% in favor of.... I bought the Xtraride. I am I happy? Yes. Have I used it? No. I only bought it because I purchased my unit almost a 1000 miles away and wanted some peace of mind.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

I've never heard anything negative about the XtraRide Platinum policy. We had excellent results with our five year policy and it more than paid for itself. We used it easily all across the US.
Non XtraRide policies usefulness is anybody's guess. Just read all the fine print
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

What do I think about extended warranties?

In general, not worth the cost. The hassles and exclusions of a pre-paid maintenance plan run by insurance companies (what an "extended warranty" by other than the manufacturer really is) have to be evaluated upfront. They are obviously profitable enough for the insurance company to give a sizeable commission to the RV dealer to sell you.

There are many who say that in most cases, putting the plan premiums into a savings account and paying cash for any repairs will give you the profit instead of the insurance company.

However, if RV maintenance and fixing what breaks is not your thing, you might be willing to buy such a package. Also, if your RV has expensive appliances and the plan covers them, as well as things like the roof, the plan could be worth it to you.

Before signing, I would ensure that I was happy with the service dept that would be doing any work under the policy. And that I understood all the exclusions, deductibles, and paid service required to keep the policy in force. Finally, prices are negotiable on these plans - you don't have to take the dealer's first offer.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame - small and simple enough that paying for extended warranty doesn't make sense
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

They generally suck, best bet is to plan to fix minor things on your own, otherwise your rv will be at the dealer for what you consider minor repairs and they'll inevitably break something else. As somebody said earlier, save money for your rainy day fund, because as we know most warranties dont apply when you think they donor should. Just my 2 cents...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #8

XtraRide fan. Second policy I've bought from them. Quick to pay out, just need to follow their rules. 6 months into it and has saved me over $2,500 ($4,000 purchase price). 6 1/2 years left on my coverage, so I'm good. Plus, not being super handy, I like the piece of mind.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty