Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Extended Warranty/Service Contract

XtraRide Service Contract Program through Protective Asset Protection

Hi everyone!

We're taking delivery of our Avenger ATI 27RBS in 6 days, and still trying to decide whether or not to get the extended warranty offered by the dealer. This one is through Protective Asset Protection company.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this company, and whether or not you think it is a good company, all the usual questions we all have when making this decision.

Thanks for any insight!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
XtraRide Service Contract Program through Protective Asset Protection

Hi everyone!

We're taking delivery of our Avenger ATI 27RBS in 6 days, and still trying to decide whether or not to get the extended warranty offered by the dealer. This one is through Protective Asset Protection company.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this company, and whether or not you think it is a good company, all the usual questions we all have when making this decision.

Tanks for any insight!!
Bank the money and learn to fix it yourself or find an independent RV technician.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Yeah, that's not a problem there... I'm pretty good at fixing things. It's paying for the replacement items that worries me.

I know things like water pumps and things are relatively cheap, but the big ticket items...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

I banked the money and never returned the TT for repairs. Yes - I fixed everything myself, partly because I did not want the TT sitting in "jail", waiting to be fixed.
Ram2500 diesel, FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

BriaBeck

Save your money and DO NOT BUT THE DEALERS WARRANTY!

Now you can check this out....
Did you know that Forest River gives you a 1 year warranty.
It also will sell you a 2nd year if you contact them within the 1st month after purchase for $150.
This is only for trailers and 5th wheels

SPECIAL NOTE:
It must be completed and sent in within 10 days of purchase with check to Forest River.
I attached a copy but it is located in the forum library under misc documents.

When you get your Forest River package from the dealer look closely at the Forest River papers. I believe it is in there but you need to do it quickly after purchase.

Maybe someone else can chime in here about the 2nd year warranty from Forest River.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2nd year warranty_addon.pdf (843.7 KB, 40 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
BriaBeck

Save your money and DO NOT BUT THE DEALERS WARRANTY!

Now you can check this out....
Did you know that Forest River gives you a 1 year warranty.
It also will sell you a 2nd year if you contact them within the 1st month after purchase for a small amount. Like $150 -$200 but it depends on the type and size.
If you look in the download section here you can find the paperwork to do it.

When you get your Forest River package from the dealer look closely at the Forest River papers. I believe it is in there but you need to do it quickly after purchase.

Maybe someone else can chime in here about the 2nd year warranty from Forest River.

Thanks!

I know about the 1 year warranty from Forest River, but didn't know about the 2 year. I will look into that!!

The extended warranty that they are wanting us to buy is a little over $1500... some friends of ours bought it on their camper a few years ago, and it paid off for them when they needed a new fridge and some other things.

It's a gamble... you're betting it will break, they're betting it won't.

You pays yer money, you takes yer chances...

Just trying to figure out how to place my bet.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #7

Iggy,

Just looked that over, and neither "Avenger" or "Avenger ATI" is listed. Is this maybe an old form? It does say, "units manufactured after 6-15-2007"... and I think "Avenger is a newer brand.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
llr

the 2nd year option went away about a year ago.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
the 2nd year option went away about a year ago.
And it was never available for PrimeTime products, like the Avenger.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #10

I have declined about $20,000 in extended warranties for my vehicles over the years. During that time I've had about $300 in repairs that would have been covered by those warranties. So I'm about $19,700 ahead, which more than covered the cost of my 192RBS. Between the hassles of dealing with an approved repair station, the warranty company and the deductible, it's easier and probably cheaper to either repair it yourself or pay cash for a repair.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #11

Manufacturer's Warranty

I agree with most - NEVER buy the dealer extended warranty. It is a revenue generator for them. Remember that most parts that go into your camper have their own warranty - anywhere from 1 to 2 years. Get a hold of these warranties before making a decision . . .

Also, get a list of nationwide service centers / dealers that will do repair work under what ever extended warranty service contract you are looking at - it might be ONLY the dealer you buy it from.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I got ripped off big time by the warranty company that my first dealership sold me...

They offered to pay $150 of an over $4000 repair bill...

After I paid the $150 deductible, of course.

Yes...that is $150.00...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #13

We had the XtraRide Platinum coverage for five years. It more than paid for itself. Had repairs done all over the country and never had any problems with them covering any of it. Just had to pay a $50 deductable even when they were fixing multiple, unrelated warranty claims during the same visit.

Be sure and read the policy. There are lots of bogus policies out there like the ones some of the posters are describing, so know what kind of policy it is, what it covers, where you can use it.

I have never heard any bad things about the XtraRide policies,and had an excellent experience with it.

Could it be a waste of $$$$? Sure, if you never need it, but if you do.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post

The extended warranty that they are wanting us to buy is a little over $1500... some friends of ours bought it on their camper a few years ago, and it paid off for them when they needed a new fridge and some other things.

It's a gamble... you're betting it will break, they're betting it won't.

You pays yer money, you takes yer chances...

Just trying to figure out how to place my bet.
I agree it's each to their own choice. Those that are adamant about someone else not buying one should think about starting their own warranty business. I write you a check for $xxx and you pay my repair bills. Seems like you'd be making bank. Just a thought, chillax.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

All extended warranty pricing is based off of average cost to repair @ dealer pricing plus a healthy profit for the company. Nobody sells these warranties to loose money.. it's just like gambling. The hope is to come ahead but the odds are intentionally stacked against you.

For instance, I had to replace my power supply recently. The dealer I called quoted $500.00 for the part + labor to install. I found the same power supply on Amazon for $180. I didn't ask how much install was but he said an RV electrician needed to install and I figured it wouldn't be cheap.

I did it myself and just moved over the wires in about an hour. Saved myself a minimum of $500.. probably more.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, warranty