Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

External ladders

I have a 2019 Cherokee alpha wolf 27 rk-l . It didn't come with a ladder on the back. I was wondering how do I find out if I can put one on mine.
lroberts103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

not sure why you couldn't. never heard of a back wall not being built well enough to support a ladder. I would double check it doesn't void your warranty, or wait till warranty is over.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Thx
lroberts103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts103 View Post
I have a 2019 Cherokee alpha wolf 27 rk-l . It didn't come with a ladder on the back. I was wondering how do I find out if I can put one on mine.
Be careful, if it didn't come with a ladder installed more the likely there is no backing to screw to. That is the problem, if a person installs one with no backing installed you will probably rip it right off the back wall as soon as you put weight on it. You can call the manufactor, but this has been the answer as long as I can remember. You are not the first asking the same question.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

My friend with a Bigfoot got a template from the factory showing him exactly where to drill to add a ladder. Talk about measuring three times and drilling once......

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Call Forest River with your Vin# handy and they can tell you.

However, most of those ladders are more decoration and are not very sturdy.

Plus, they can't hold that much weight.

Much easier to get one of those collapsible ladders.

I carry a six-foot step ladder in the bed of my truck when towing...

Works for me!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Mine's been holding me, if that ladder ever lets go, it's going to be UGLY!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #8

Our Cruise Lite didn't come with a ladder but we asked if the dealer could install one. He said yes but I choked at the $$ they wanted for the install. I bought the recommended ladder (leg spacing is supposedly for our TT), got a "drawing" from FR showing where the studs were in the back wall and installed it myself. As mJones state, I did a lot of measuring and I used a stud finder on the interior to confirm that the studs were where the FR drawing said (drawing was a little less than clear). Every screw hit the studs and it is as secure as it can be (I don't strap stuff to it while traveling).
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

However, most of those ladders are more decoration and are not very sturdy.

Much easier to get one of those collapsible ladders.

I carry a six-foot step ladder in the bed of my truck when towing...

Works for me!
As well, those vertical ladders aren't very safe. The first step is well above the ground and they don't carry an ANSI safety label or have a duty rating. My DW works at our worker's comp. board. No way would she allow to climb an RV ladder and I wouldn't anyway... A ladder that you can lean against an RV is best and much easier to climb.

I have yet to see anyone in a CG actually climb up one. Most seem to use them for tote tanks, gas cans and other no-so-attractive stuff.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #10

I saw a pretty big guy climb one on his View Motor home just yesterday.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My friend with a Bigfoot got a template from the factory showing him exactly where to drill to add a ladder. Talk about measuring three times and drilling once......

Good for him and Bigfoot. Sounds like good customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

Good luck with that. I have tried more than several times to get that kind of info from FR and/or Rockwood. Never got ANY answer - ever.

I talked to an independent repair place once about adding a ladder and got the same answer - - if the trailer didn't come with a ladder there would be no backing for attaching one.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

Xtend & Climb 770P telescoping-ladders 12.5 ft Yellow/Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU..._dNOTCbYC7JM2F
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
not sure why you couldn't. never heard of a back wall not being built well enough to support a ladder. I would double check it doesn't void your warranty, or wait till warranty is over.
Lots of trailers don't have backers for a ladder. Many rear kitchen trailers don't.
Some others floorplans don't either.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts103 View Post
... It didn't come with a ladder on the back. I was wondering how do I find out if I can put one on mine.

As has been said already, contact the factory, they can and will let you know if you can mount a ladder, ... and if, then WHERE to mount it, ... I had to laugh at all the negative rhetoric about how bad/flimsy/dangerous, installed ladders are, coming from folks who more than likely DON"T have one, ... our tt didn't come from the factory with one, but since the dealer couldn't install an awning over our slide-out before we needed to take delivery and return home, I wanted one so I could see the top to know if I needed to sweep it before bringing the slide-out in, ... had a nice conversation with the salesman about why and where I wanted it, ...

When we returned the next day to take delivery, their installer had not gotten the WHERE, and had mounted it on the wrong side, ... the salesman couldn't stop apologizing and said they had contacted FR who assured them it was ok and safe where it was mounted, ... my aftermarket, dealer installed ladder is sturdy, safe, and MUCH MORE CONVENIENT for going on top of the trailer than a separate, stored-away ladder any day of the week, ... the installed ladder also serves as an ideal place for mounting poles of any sort(antenna, flag, ect.), ... plus, I don't know any rig that you can get on top of, with a six foot ladder, so, while it might be useful for some chores, it ain't gonna get you where the installed ladder will, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #15

Didn't have one on the last TT, Have one on the Toyhauler and I climbed it to inspect the roof when I went to pickup the trailer in Sept. and have been on it about 4 times since. I'm 220 lbs and it's sturdy as can be and it's even one of the ones that fold flat against the drivers side and has pins to hold it when in use. Contacting the manufacture for a YES/NO and where if YES is the story. Every manufacture does things a bit differently as far as having mounting supports in trailers, be it TV's inside or ladders outside.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #16

Have had one on our last two fifth wheels. Both have been used multiple times with no issues. Our current trailer is a 2017 Rockwood 8289WS, the ladder on this unit does seem to be a bit more secure then the 2009 Denali we used to have. Three slides with no toppers so I'm on the roof every outing to sweep or blow off tops before we retract them. Ours were secured well to the unit but I think the real issue is the construction of the ladder. Hope you can get one installed, they are nice to have attached to the rig versus toting one around in the back of the truck.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Be careful, if it didn't come with a ladder installed more the likely there is no backing to screw to. That is the problem, if a person installs one with no backing installed you will probably rip it right off the back wall as soon as you put weight on it. You can call the manufactor, but this has been the answer as long as I can remember. You are not the first asking the same question.

Our 2019 Tracer did not have a ladder either. At delivery I quizzed the walk through guy and warranty manager. They actually called the factory and asked. Answer: No ladder because the roof was not constructed to walk on ! So, when cover was put over the vents used a step ladder and laid over as necessary to install the MaxAir. Had to figure another way to fly my American flag. Wanted to use the ladder mounted type. Got it figured out and Old Glory fly's proudly at our camp sites.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #18
Site Team

We have a ladder on the back of our Sabre Qbok that came installed from the factory. I've been up and down it many times but my wife says it does wiggle and bend a little when I'm on it.

We do have an multi-position folding ladder that I can use but most of the time I'm too lazy to drag it out.

The advice to call the factory is your best bet. Most times you can add one but I have heard of some that don't have the backing. It may also depend on the configuration of your trailer. Windows, vents, etc...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #19

Post pictures on what's up app.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #20

I highly recommend this specific LUISLADDERS telescoping ladder if you are searching for the most reliable folding ladders for RVs. I am very impressed with this one, especially the fact that it can extend to a height of 15.5 feet. When fully retracted, it becomes a little over 3 feet tall.
oliver305 is offline   Reply With Quote