Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Blowing through the toll booth (or by passing it completely in the high speed lane), while others are stopped in long lines, makes it "worth it" in my mind.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #22

In places where it's accepted, it's terrific.
In Colorado, EZ Pass does not work. Instead, the system is Express Toll.
So do your homework and realize that, for some stupid reason, the national system of toll roads has been splintered up into competing groups of for-profit toll-takers that refuse to "talk" to one another.
"Please note that you cannot use E-ZPass, FasTrak, SunPass, EZ Tag transponders to pay tolls on E-470, Northwest Parkway or other express lanes in Colorado."
And now the killer...CO and many western states have largely stopped building "public" roads, and they've added lanes and highways using toll-road concepts. Furthermore, in many cases, you simply cannot use this infrastructure without an Express Toll transponder. Many of the former HOV lanes have become express toll lanes, and you can't use them without a transponder...EVEN FOR HOV PURPOSES. So, if you are carpooling, you may be eligible for a free ride in the Express/HOV lane, but you can't use it, under any circumstances, without a transponder. And the cameras and other monitoring equipment will issue a ticket for noncompliance with no police action involved.

In some instances, such as e-470, a limited-access highway, one can use the highway using what's called "license plate toll", where you are billed for tolls based on a license plate photo as you enter and leave the toll road. But the price is considerably higher. Again, all of this is monitored by cameras and other electronics, and the ticket is issued by the toll-taking private company...not the police.

And, for the record, tolls on these "public-private partnership" boondoggles can be staggering. E-470 is a "beltway" that goes the short distance from the south side of Denver (at I-25) to the north side of Denver (just beyond I-25). It costs more to go end to end on E-470 than it costs to go from New York City to Buffalo on the New York State Thruway (496 miles!)

Increasingly, you're going to need the appropriate transponder for the state where you travel, or you'll need to stay off the newer highways that also tend to be toll roads.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #23

EZ Pass

Not sure about other states, or anyone else's experience, but we have Rhode Island EZ Pass transponders and twice have erroneously been charged by NY EZ Pass. Both times I would never have known except it seemed that my balance was lower than it should have been so I went into my account and found the mistakes. Not a lot of fun trying to convince the EZ Pass folks that we hadn't even been in New York, and the first time it took about a month to get it straightened out. I would caution everyone with an EZ Pass to keep an eye on their accounts. One of the local TV news teams did a report on how many people were being wrongly charged (in RI) a few years ago because of different types of plates with the same number.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #24

In pa yes but keep a eye on your chargers
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #25

In Illinois we have I-Pass which is reciprocal with EZ-Pass. The tollroads are mostly located in the Chicago metro area. If you don't have an I-Pass or EZ Pass, the toll rate will be double.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #26
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
In places where it's accepted, it's terrific.
In Colorado, EZ Pass does not work. Instead, the system is Express Toll.
So do your homework and realize that, for some stupid reason, the national system of toll roads has been splintered up into competing groups of for-profit toll-takers that refuse to "talk" to one another.
"Please note that you cannot use E-ZPass, FasTrak, SunPass, EZ Tag transponders to pay tolls on E-470, Northwest Parkway or other express lanes in Colorado."
And now the killer...CO and many western states have largely stopped building "public" roads, and they've added lanes and highways using toll-road concepts. Furthermore, in many cases, you simply cannot use this infrastructure without an Express Toll transponder. Many of the former HOV lanes have become express toll lanes, and you can't use them without a transponder...EVEN FOR HOV PURPOSES. So, if you are carpooling, you may be eligible for a free ride in the Express/HOV lane, but you can't use it, under any circumstances, without a transponder. And the cameras and other monitoring equipment will issue a ticket for noncompliance with no police action involved.

In some instances, such as e-470, a limited-access highway, one can use the highway using what's called "license plate toll", where you are billed for tolls based on a license plate photo as you enter and leave the toll road. But the price is considerably higher. Again, all of this is monitored by cameras and other electronics, and the ticket is issued by the toll-taking private company...not the police.

And, for the record, tolls on these "public-private partnership" boondoggles can be staggering. E-470 is a "beltway" that goes the short distance from the south side of Denver (at I-25) to the north side of Denver (just beyond I-25). It costs more to go end to end on E-470 than it costs to go from New York City to Buffalo on the New York State Thruway (496 miles!)

Increasingly, you're going to need the appropriate transponder for the state where you travel, or you'll need to stay off the newer highways that also tend to be toll roads.
Florida has a new one called E-Pass Xtra that is usable in 18 states. I'm getting it even my new RV arrives and turning in my old E-ZPass.

Say
Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #27

I bought an EZ Pass while at Goshen and used it all the way through Maine to Canada and back via MD and the smokeys. No issues

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #28

We have a TX tag for use in Texas, Oklahoma and parts of Kansas. Tag is free if ordered online. Functions differently than E-ZPass because it's an RFID system with the exciter mounted overhead on the highway and you travel through the toll "gate" at 70mph. Otherwise, like E-ZPass in that you set it up with a credit card / debit card and replenishment is automatic. Toll $ is less than other payment methods and TX tag works on all Texas toll roads while the Harris county tag doesn't.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #29

EZ Pass use

We live in Michigan. No need for EZ Pass. We received an EZ Pass from our kid who lives in Illinois to help us save on tolls. 50% savings. We have our 2 cars and fifth wheel registered. We move the unit between vehicles depending on which one we are driving to IL including several trips around Chicago with the 5er. When we tow our 5er, the unit registers thru the vehicle but also picks up the 5er tag in the photo they snap. That way they charge based on number of axles. we also found that it worked when we went over the new bridge in Louisville KY both ways. Freaked out a bit the first time because it calls for a toll but no toll booths to pay. Also, just found out that it doesn't work in Florida. Went over bridge outside Pensacola. Sunpass only. Hope that helps.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #30

EZ-Pass Another Affirmative Vote

Three vehicles and three transponders for me. Multiple vehicles can be linked to one transponder but for convenience we opted for one in each vehicle.

As Herc said, it’s nice bypassing the toll booths in a high speed lane when available. Had no issues with the TV/TT combo.

Also, there are a few exits that are ONLY EZ Pass.

Yes, the deposit and any minor associated costs we had for ours are worth it. Auto refill of account from bank and it’s a breeze. 👍
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #31

Yes we’ll worth the time to get. Cost is $0.00 from Mass. Dot and no monthly fee
I’m from Ohio and purchased it on line thru Mass Dot.
Love it and saves a lot of $$$$
Old 05-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #32
Retired Old Fart

Well, crud..... GA has a Peach Pass that is also accepted in NC and FL (at more locations than the EZPass). But, at least in GA they do not allow any RV, 5'er, or TT in the toll lanes. (we have toll lanes instead of toll roads - you pay more to use a lane with less traffic on the same highway).

Not sure about the toll roads in FL as it's the entire road down there. But the Sun Pass for Florida covers more areas than the EZPass. I guess it depends on where you spend the most time as to which transponder, or transponders you need to get.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #33

Some toll transponder tag thoughts from another Illinoisan...

- Our I-Pass has full reciprocity with EZ-Pass states

- (As far as 2015), we had NO reciprocity with TXTag

- If you know you're going through TX at a future date, best to get the TXTag, or your frustration level will skyrocket when you get the bill for your tolls in the mail, like they encouraged you to do, out-of-stater. I could say more, here.

- If you're traveling through IL with your trailer, 5er, etc... things get *real* expensive after 2 axles (your TV). And somehow, they know exactly how many. My dual axle trailers were never registered with the tollway authority, but when I drive through an automated lane, they bill four axles, every time.
AFAIK, neither my title nor registration for the trailer have # of axles listed.

- I was very happy to hear a few months back that FL SunPass now had reciprocity with EZ-Pass states - but apparently, that's not the case? FL is another place that's outrageous with toll pricing, thanks to the tourist trap...er...traffic...coming thru.

- Now the states out west are on their own system, with no reciprocity with systems east of the Big River? AAAUUUGGGGHHHH!

- Will someone have a 'universal' website to advise where the various passes work and where they don't? Bet this exists already. (on edit: yes it does, see below)

- Boy, I don't want to have to have multiple transponders in my truck...

- Back to IL - at this point, 'one transponder rules them all'. You don't even have to have a device in each vehicle, any longer. Just make sure they're all registered to the one you do have. No need to swap out, when at 'home'. I do still have one for each vehicle, as I've had them since early days.

And at https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-passes.php it appears that the North Carolina transponder may be the 'bridge' that connects the EZ-Pass & compatibles to the FL system. Now to see 'who' can get a NC transponder.

Finally, it appears that 'MAP-21' (federal hwy bill of 2012) required nationwide interoperability by... 2016. But since there was no funding, and no penalties listed...everyone's still 'talking' about it, per Wikipedia.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #34

I have two transponders for my truck, one for the truck only , and one truck and trailer ( which covers the 5er and my flatbed since they both have same axle config ) I love the ability to by pass the cash box on the Il toll road which I travel every year. I don't mind EZpass holding the money for the ease bypassing the cash box and not having cash on hand for the toll booth.
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #35

On the Illinois Tollway System, if you have an I-PASS (EZ Pass) the tolls are half the cost of the cash lanes. The transponder is free with a $20 deposit, and a credit card is not required. If you give them a credit card, when your ballance drops below $10, it will auto charge your card for a pre-determined amount. I have had 4 transponders for over15 years and have never had a problem. I remove the transponder from the Toad when towing behind the 30DS. The toll gate automatically charges both tto the MH transponder. Need to remember this, if you forget to remove the transponder from the Toad, both transponders get hit with both both tolls. We travel to Fla often, and I have aSun Pass for the MH
Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #36

EZ Pass

EZ PASS is absolutely worth the money. One good thing is most of the states in the northeast give a discount for EZ Pass holders. In Massachusetts it is basically required because they no longer have toll booths throughout the state. Another benefit is in some states like Delaware there are EZ Pass express lanes. The technology makes it so they can pick your pocket at up to 85 MPH! Oh what a world we live in! So far EZ Pass is not accepted in Florida where they have Sun Pass which is not compatible with EZ Pass.

Happy Motoring !!!
Tow Haul 3.55 rear
Hingham, Mass.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #37

So I got a response from the N. Carolina tollway authority today...

Good news - anyone can purchase a NC 'Quick Pass'

Why is that good?
Because NC's transponder acts as the 'bridge' between the EZ-Pass states, the Southeast states like FL and GA
(and... perhaps soon?... TXTag... more on this below)

So...with that one transponder, you can travel in ALL of them, and not have to worry about extra / swapping out transponders / paying extra tolls / being billed for tolls in the mail.

NC does support auto-refill with credit card
NC does NOT impose surcharges when used outside of NC

NC DOES impose a $1 fee each month if you don't use it within 12 months' time (this can be anywhere; you don't have to use it within NC to avoid the fee)

Their note specified that it also works within the IL tollway, which I will double-check with the IL tollway people directly on. (I didn't expect this.)

Wikipedia had stated that the NC Quick Pass was supposed to be compatible with the TXTag system as of 'late 2018'. However, I don't see mention of this on the TX or NC websites, as of this writing.

(note that TXTax does have reciprocity with OK 'Pikepass' and KS 'K-Pass' - so that if TX <-> NC ever start working with one another, you'll gain those two states as well)

So...with that said...I'm off to order a NC 'Quick Pass'...

PS: To all the IL 'I-Pass' users saying tolls are "half-price" with one. No!!! Stop saying this. Rather, tolls are DOUBLE if you don't use one.

(It's not like IL cut the tolls in half for I-Pass users...they just didn't start charging them double when they implemented that rate structure).

Tolls in IL were NEVER 'half-price' from what they originally were.

Finally, if you stay out of the Chicago metro area (say, I-80 southward), you'll pretty much avoid tollways in IL (the E. St. Louis area may be an exception; I'm not sure)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #38
Site Team

In Maryland definitely worth it.

Shorter lines in EZ pass lanes and move faster.
Especially good on roads that use full speed toll readers.

Toll lower when using EZ pass transponder.
No issues with Trailer. T-tag registered and extra axles automatically added to trip.
Transponder free
No monthly charge
Minimal required balance and recharge amount.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #39

Tolls are a challenge for those of us who travel a lot! We now have IPass for Illinois and other midwest or eastern states, our daughter lives in Boulder so the Colorado Express toll (Do Not tow your toad on this road, there is an extra $25 fee if you do) , Sun Pass for Florida and Georgia.
Looking into the Texas one now.
Bethymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #40

I avoid the DC area when I can but had business there this morning and coming back to Richmond on ***bleeping*** I95 my GPS gratuitously added nearly two hours to my predicted driving time. Typical I95 around DC.

There are toll express lanes there and I noted they were restricted to 2-axle vehicles and buses. No trailers. I'm sure the toll is outrageous but I took the road and passed mile of nearly stopped traffic in the free lanes. At one point I passed a pickup pulling a travel trailer (even though prohibited). No helicopter gunships seemed to be chasing him. Have no way of knowing what happened (or will happen) to him. Then coming thru Richmond I noted I'm really not supposed to take the E-ZPass lanes when pulling my camper. So far ignorance is bliss.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote