Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #41

More food for thought:

I'm in Illinois. I had one I-Pass transponder that I moved from vehicle to vehicle for many years. A couple years ago DW wanted me to get one for each vehicle. I went to the local distribution place (Road Ranger gas station) and got two more transponders, white in color. Took them home. Read instructions and there was an FAQ and a note that said:
Where else can I use my I-PASS?
You can use your I-PASS on E-ZPass roads, the Chicago
Skyway and the Indiana Toll Road.* Please visit our website
at www.illinoistollway.com or call 1-800-UC-IPASS (1-800-
824-7277) for more information.
*Vehicles (including their trailers) that exceed four tires and two axles, and that are traveling on E-ZPass roads, must exchange their I-PASS transponder for the compatible E-ZPass “blue” transponder available at every Tollway Customer Service Center and at select Road Ranger outlets.

Went down to the nearest Tollway place (Belvidere Oasis) and talked to the guy there. He didn't have a clue what this statement meant, but he DID have both white AND blue transponders. He didn't seem to know WHY he had blue transponders. In any case, since I intend to tow east of Illinois, I figured it was better to be safe than sorry and I swapped one white transponder for a blue to put in my TV. Used it from Illinois to CT and back last Thanksgiving with a 2 axle U-haul trailer with no issues.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #42

At one time the blue was for commercial use the white for private but really how could they check.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #43

That was my thought, too; and was afraid they might charge me more for using the blue. But using the blue around Illinois vs the white doesn't seem to charge me more. There must be something else going on between "I-Pass" and "EZ-Pass."

Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #44

In Texas they sold the right to build and collect tools on a new road for above $1 billion to a company from Spain. It goes from north of Austin and goes south to IH 10 east of Seguin. As it turns out there is not enough traffic for the Spanish Company to make a profit so The state of Texas has to pay the difference. Seems it didn't work out so well for our state. The studies prior to giving a contract indicated that it would make a good profit, be build faster and the money for the road will be in the state of Texas hands before the bridge is built. The road was built much faster then the state could have, it is bleeding money, tax payers money and the state spent the money for the contract. If things don't change Texas will be paying for years to come. I had noticed that where this toll road connects to IH 10 is to far east for lots of people to use. But you can drive 80 MPH on the road.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #45

I got a response back from EZ Pass. I was told that even though I have a transponder in my truck, I would need a separate transponder for when I pull the trailer. Here is the language in the response:

Unfortunately, you would need a different transponder for when you are pulling the trailer. When adding the trailer to the account you would combine the number of axles and tires between both the truck and the trailer. You will also need to know if both together is under or over 7,000 pounds.

I didn't ask the question, but I doubt you can get the HOV Flex Pass for it, so you'd likely be paying the toll regardless of the number of people in the vehicle.

This is for EZ Pass Virginia. Don't know how it pertains to other states.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #46

Interesting. No argument, but I don't have my trailer registered with either TX-tag or E-ZPass and so far have never had an issue when towing using either system. Never knew that I needed to.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #47

I agree with Chuck_S. I've run EZPASS in VA, PA, WV, NY, KY with no issues. You provide a CC that it renews its $35 minimum when the funds get low. Pain free. Got rid of all that change in cup holders. It's nice with all the tolls here in Richmond.
dopplebock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #48

I know my transponder will light the green light and maybe confuse things at the cash booth so for the time being I'm gonna run the bypass E-ZPass lanes here in VA the same way I've done for years in OH and PA where I doubt their systems are super special. Camera gets my front tag and the tag on the back of the trailer so I know it works.

There were several signs up by DC limiting the toll express lanes to 2 axles and that's all I had. Checked my statement just now and the toll hasn't hit yet. Still curious how much it cost me to save 60 - 90 minutes in stopped traffic. My Richmond tolls up and back as well as my wife's yesterday are listed.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #49

EZ Pass worth the money?

We got one from Ohio. Actually got two - one that goes in the rv and covers the weight along with the other two axels for the Toad.

Second one is for the Toad in case we travel around anywhere and need it for tolls.

Worked great last fall going around Chicago with the readers above the road.

From our perspective not having to stop and look for cash etc is worth while. If we get low in the account they just pull enough to get back to minimum from the CC.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #50

I did not read all entries to see if this is covered elsewhere.

If you must carry multiple transponders (as I did for my employer and my personal use in NY), you need an RF-blocking bag or other storage for the one that's not being used, or both will be read and charged.

In NY, the package was a simple plastic bag with an RF blocker embedded in the plastic.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #51

Yep. Ours from Ohio came with bags to keep them in. The shiny static free ones that keep them from being read when in the bag.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Seems like tires and tow vehicles, EZ Pass is common topic here. So I thought maybe this would help some people decide.

Now I bought ours years ago as we were caching through 7 states in 6 days. I got tired of waiting behind people who look dumb founded while trying to figure out the exact change or not even having it ready as they passed through. I never thought I would use it again but within 2 years we had passed through Chicago twice and the east coast again several times. I will spend the money on something on the off chance I will use again.

One thing I do not like is price of diesel and gas while on these limited access roads but again when your limited by time (wife & I both still work) you find the fastest way.

Some people will probably ask "Where is EZ Pass accepted?" Well here is the short answer from Google:
Where is EZ Pass accepted?

You can use your E-ZPass transponder on all toll roads with specially marked "E-ZPass" lanes. This currently includes roads in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky.

Here is a FAQ from the Virginia EZ Pass site

Here is the FAQ from the EZ Pass site which includes the ever popular "Can the EZ Pass work in Florida"

This year we went to Luray VA and D.C. taking essentially the same route through the toll roads with a few variants. Notice the total at the start and it actually replenished automatically because I was below my replenish threshold.

One thing that puzzles me is I did not buy my EZ PAss in Jersey but still get charged $1 a month as a Service Fee

TV is a Pick up and dual axle TT in case your wondering.
How do you handle towing? We have a Virginia EZ Pass, but it only works for our Toad. If we want to use one on the MH we need one for towing and one when without the Toad (according to the EZ Pass rep that I spoke with anyway).
Seeking70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #53

We have a pike pass in Oklahoma, It works in Kansas, ok and tx. If it doesn’t work somewhere I get a bill in the mail eventually. Doesn’t seem to be any penalties
gazelleTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking70 View Post
How do you handle towing? We have a Virginia EZ Pass, but it only works for our Toad. If we want to use one on the MH we need one for towing and one when without the Toad (according to the EZ Pass rep that I spoke with anyway).
Disregard my question...looks like it's been answered. Tough having weak cell service and not waiting to load the whole thread. [emoji9]
Seeking70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
E-ZPass doesn't cost anything. Unless you consider the tiny $35 deposit (which you can get back) a cost. Or you consider $1/month an expense.

Toll discounts are major in some (many?) places.

Never lived in Pennsylvania but the four (4) PA E-Zpass transponders I have have worked everywhere there are such systems. No service fee. My wife and daughter keep my toll count high with daily use of 2 of them here in Richmond.

-- Chuck
We got ours from Illinois as an iPass which works in all EZ Pass states. There is no actual “cost” and no monthly fee, just a credit card replenishment. “It is $30 to open an account ($10 refundable deposit/$20 prepaid tolls).“
https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...on/about-ipass

The replenishment is min. $20 but if you use it more it’s your average monthly charges, so it kind of figures it out for you.

You don’t have to be an IL resident to get one. We live in MN and got ours by mail.

It saves a lot of time each time going around or through Chicago, and fares there are about 1/2 of the cash fare. We have also used it in IN and OH, maybe some other states too.

I think it costs $20 each trip to Chicago, not fully going around, so I guess we save $20 each time. We have shared it with our kids which is fine as long as you register their vehicles. Oh wait, did they reimburse us?? LOL

This site has all the state system compatibility maps one could want, I believe.

https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-passes.php
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #56

Here in Washington State we have "Good To Go" passes that are essentially RFID stickers that go in your windshield... They are read when you pass under the sensors. The problem here is that I am routinely overcharged for my motor home and tow vehicle. The charge is by the axle and when I go through the checkpoint it charges me $10 for my motor home and $5 for my towed vehicle... It is supposed to charge me $5 for each. I have to email or call them after every overcharge and get the credit back. When I ask them why they can't modify their program to recognize that I have a two axle motor home when towing, they just blabber on with all their problems...
Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #57

Hi, I have easy pass for all my vehicles for 20 years +. I got my tags in Western NY, and we don't get charged a service fee. Our replenish amount of $15.00 goes directly on my CC. We now live in TN. I even had the tag on my Fire Chiefs vehicle, New York makes emergency vehicles pay also, no time to dig for cash (LOL).

Will not work in GA on the new fast lane from Acworth to Atlanta.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
We got ours from Illinois as an iPass which works in all EZ Pass states. There is no actual “cost” and no monthly fee, just a credit card replenishment. “It is $30 to open an account ($10 refundable deposit/$20 prepaid tolls).“

The replenishment is min. $20 but if you use it more it’s your average monthly charges, so it kind of figures it out for you.

You don’t have to be an IL resident to get one. We live in MN and got ours by mail.

It saves a lot of time each time going around or through Chicago, and fares there are about 1/2 of the cash fare. We have also used it in IN and OH, maybe some other states too.

I think it costs $20 each trip to Chicago, not fully going around, so I guess we save $20 each time. We have shared it with our kids which is fine as long as you register their vehicles. Oh wait, did they reimburse us?? LOL

This site has all the state system compatibility maps one could want, I believe.

https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-passes.php
MNtraveler: Since you got an "I-Pass," but intend to use it in EZ-Pass states, you might want to read my post #41 and check your installation instructions.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #59

I also have a pike pass in Oklahoma. Ours is set so you input the number of axles and it charges accordingly. When I use the truck by itself I make sure its 2, hook up to the TT and go online and change to 4. No issues so far and it works in Texas and Kansas.
cdspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #60

The link below is for the new e-pass-xtra from Florida that is good on all 18 eastern state toll roads. This is a brand new system and includes Florida toll roads and replaces the sun pass. No monthly fees or cost for this new system.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote