Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 05:12 AM   #61

I tried to get an EZ pass last summer and found it was a huge hassle.

I would think that it’s not different per state, since EZ Pass is a private company, but I was going to have to have 2 different transponders, 1 for just the truck, and the 2nd for truck and trailer, AND they told me I had to open a commercial account, (because of weight?) which requires a $500 balance!!! However class A’s under a certain weight can get a private transponder with a $100 balance.

I live in PA (not my choice. happy wife, happy life...) and they have my truck listed in weight class 3. Anyway, heading west, looked at the toll cost for my truck and trailer for our stretch of turnpike travelled and the toll was close to $50. I did not get the ez pass and just decided to pay the extra, and at the toll booth, my toll was only $37. The receipt showed weight class 2.

In speaking with a friend after, who drives a semi, he said they have scales embedded at the booths.

That was enough to convince me I don’t need to give them any more of my money.
mo985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #62

EZ Pass Worth The Money?

I learned the hard way that if you are outside one of the normal states that use EZ Pass bury it somewhere. Sections of Florida, like areas of Texas, will also collect tolls through EZ Pass. In my case Florida collected using Sun Pass and Ohio also collected using EZ Pass. Sun Pass collected 89 cents, EZ Pass collected $2.60 on top of the 89 cents for the exact same area. It took a very long time to get EZ Pass to credit my account so beware. EZ Pass gives no discount for tolls in PA either.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #63

EZ Pass at Canadian Border

Went to Niagara Falls last year. While the EZ Pass was posted getting across the border, it did not work. Big problem when that happened. Had to back trailer and car out of entrance. Here they use an EZ Pass that reads like a card, not acts like a transponder.
czachry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by czachry View Post
Went to Niagara Falls last year. While the EZ Pass was posted getting across the border, it did not work. Big problem when that happened. Had to back trailer and car out of entrance. Here they use an EZ Pass that reads like a card, not acts like a transponder.
That's just wrong. I would have been extremely ticked off. It's bad enough that everything is almost double as it is in Niagara Falls and now they add that to your Fun Filled vacation. I remember when it was nice going there, now you almost dread it.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Florida has a new one called E-Pass Xtra that is usable in 18 states. I'm getting it even my new RV arrives and turning in my old E-ZPass.

Say
Looks like I'll be dumping two transponders for a new one while I'm in Florida this fall. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #66

I have an EZ Pass for both my truck(TV) and the wife's car. I plan on using my 2019 Cherokee 22RR no more than 500 miles from home and hearing some of the disasters of towing at a high speed(70+) I probably won't be using the turnpikes & expressways very much.
tomm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Florida has a new one called E-Pass Xtra that is usable in 18 states. I'm getting it even my new RV arrives and turning in my old E-ZPass.

Say
I just ordered E Pass Xtra and thinking I was registering the plates my transponder would be used on I noticed the price kept going up for each plate including the Toy Hauler I have. I figure the more plates you register the more it costs but found out when I was finished they are sending me 5 transponders. Fact is two would be all I need, one for my wife and the other for me since they can be used in any vehicle.

Just got off the phone and they did want me to have a transponder for each vehicle which is fine. Other than buying the transponder there are no other fees except for stocking the account and they did remove the one for the Toy Hauler and removed the charge from my credit card. Having one for each vehicle will save me from having to remember to grab one before leaving and we will be relocating to Florida in the fall of 2021 anyhow.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1947 View Post
I have an EZ Pass for both my truck(TV) and the wife's car. I plan on using my 2019 Cherokee 22RR no more than 500 miles from home and hearing some of the disasters of towing at a high speed(70+) I probably won't be using the turnpikes & expressways very much.
I have the Cherokee 26RR and stay 60 to 65 tops on freeways and toll roads. I've seen too many trailers where drivers lost control and totaled everything and I have no desire to join that club. It's never been a problem so far, everybody just passes me.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #69
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, lots of posts here. Every state has their own EZ pass rules and fees. NJ charges an admin fee every month if you don't use it, or so the website says. So I got mine from Delaware. NO FEES. But you do have to pay for the transponder up front. Worth it in the long run. Love my EZ Pass.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #70

We've had EZ Pass for about four years and I'm quite happy with it. I especially like the discounted tolls that we pay and the convenience when using the EZ Pass transponder.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #71

Ez Tag

I just traveled from Houston to Portland ME. Towing my 5er, I have both sunpass and Texas Ez Tag.
No charges were accrued on either account, some of the cash lanes exceeded ez pass.
Mightycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #72

EZ Pass

We have had an EZ pass for at least 15 years. When we moved up to a class C from a TT we had to get a new one that is commercial and for Trucks. We actually have 2 of them for the Class C. One we use when we have our TOAD (I have to take the TOAD's EZ pass off and put it in the Glove box in the foiled bag they come in) and a second one for when we do not have the TOAD with us (I then swap the 2 passes on the Class C and keep the unused one in the foiled bag in the glove box.
We have driven from New Hampshire to Wisconsin and as far south as Baltimore MD and had no problems using it. Mass does charge $0.10 more for out of state passes but that still saved us $0.20 for using the plate photo and billing system they have. There is an even bigger difference in PA especially when the only option is EZ pass or Photo.
The only problem I had is that on our trip to Wisconsin, I forgot to take the EX pass off the TOAD so we got double billed in some places but not all. There was also the 1 toll booth in Indiana that we had to go through to get to/from our campground. I could get off the highway with no problem, but I couldn't get on without taking a ticket. But at our destinations, I had no trouble with the EX pass getting off/on the highway.

I would never go without it. Especially now that many states are changing to only having 2 options, EZ pass (or whatever that state calls theirs) and plate photo with bill which is usually significantly more expensive.
johnscub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #73

Anyone wearing a tinfoil hat can simply remove it and wrap it around the transponder. Friends tell me their transponder works in the glove compartment, no need to stick it on the windshield.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Anyone wearing a tinfoil hat can simply remove it and wrap it around the transponder. Friends tell me their transponder works in the glove compartment, no need to stick it on the windshield.

-- Chuck
We have a little antique bus and I had the EZ-Pass transponder at the top of the windshield. It wouldn't work at one of the toll booths and the attendant told me that it was due to the steel overhang over the windshield. I moved the transponder to the bottom of the windshield and it has worked fine ever since.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #75

EZ Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjco View Post
We have a little antique bus and I had the EZ-Pass transponder at the top of the windshield. It wouldn't work at one of the toll booths and the attendant told me that it was due to the steel overhang over the windshield. I moved the transponder to the bottom of the windshield and it has worked fine ever since.
Ours is mounted on the Front Licence plate mount (PA only has a rear plate).
johnscub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #76

Straight from the horse's mouth:

I emailed EZ-Pass and asked what would happen if I drove on Central Florida Expressqway toll highways with my Sun Pass decal and EZ-Pass transponder.

Their reply:

Both the Sunpass and E-ZPass will apply to your account if in a vehicle at the same time. We suggest to put the transponder in a mylar bag to ensure it is not read in Florida. If you need a mylar bag, please contact us with your transponder number.
Spacecrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougschne View Post
We live in Michigan. No need for EZ Pass. We received an EZ Pass from our kid who lives in Illinois to help us save on tolls. 50% savings. We have our 2 cars and fifth wheel registered. We move the unit between vehicles depending on which one we are driving to IL including several trips around Chicago with the 5er. When we tow our 5er, the unit registers thru the vehicle but also picks up the 5er tag in the photo they snap. That way they charge based on number of axles. we also found that it worked when we went over the new bridge in Louisville KY both ways. Freaked out a bit the first time because it calls for a toll but no toll booths to pay. Also, just found out that it doesn't work in Florida. Went over bridge outside Pensacola. Sunpass only. Hope that helps.
Don't know if you knew it, but that's no longer allowed (moving one IPass between vehicles in Illinois). Each vehicle needs their own transponder. Got wrist slapped on this about six months ago.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #78

Definitely worth it since it's free!

I'm a PA resident and ordered mine from NY many years ago. Not charged a monthly fee. I have two transponders one for 2 axles and another when I'm hauling the 5th who (4 axles total). I follow instructions for tractor trailers (when present) when going through toll gates. Accepted by all states in the northeast. Some FL counties are starting to accept it but it's confusing and still changing. Never had any problems except when it was my mistake to begin with. DON'T USE AROUND BALTIMORE AS I RECENTLY WAS CHARGED $24 AND $12 TO USE A BRIDGE AND SHORT STRETCH OF I95; FIND A DIFFERENT ROUTE.
ObsoleteSum5252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #79
Commercial Member

If you are asked to provide more than an initial "credit" on your account of $20 you are paying too much and need to get theEZpass transponder from another state. You need to spend a little time educating yourself. Different states have different plans but I have 3 vehicles with 3 "tags" for $0 a month. My credit just sits there till it is used. Once by credit drops to about $10 they hit my credit card for $20 which sits in my account till I use it.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you are asked to provide more than an initial "credit" on your account of $20 you are paying too much and need to get theEZpass transponder from another state. You need to spend a little time educating yourself. Different states have different plans but I have 3 vehicles with 3 "tags" for $0 a month. My credit just sits there till it is used. Once by credit drops to about $10 they hit my credit card for $20 which sits in my account till I use it.
I bought a transponder from NY and tried to register it and they wouldn't let me because I live in KY so I had to return it and get one from WV that, at the time, was the closest state that had EZ-Pass. I bought 5 transponders at $5 each and am glad that I did since they've since increased in price. Now they can be purchased here in Kentucky but they're more expensive.

Bill J., Lexington, KY