Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #1

Factory tires ok?

So a question I'm gonna ask the dealer but I'll ask here too.

Factory tires on an 2018 puma TT. Are they adequate?? Or should I upgrade them first off?

Can I request an upgrade direct from the factory?

I do not know any details yet on size or specs.

Caleb
calebj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Always Learning

Most likely they'll be marginal- likely an off-brand and generally just enough weight carrying capacity to handle the axle weight rating.

Are they adequate? You'll get lots of personal opinions- some folks say they won't tow a new trailer off of the lot without replacing the tires with a good quality tire; other folks say they get 5-10k miles on them without an issue. You hear way more reports of tire issues vs. good luck stories- but I believe that's the nature of the beast (people don't post- "nope, nothing happened today").

The factory likely won't upgrade the tires. I've only ever heard of a few brands that offer it.

You can likely negotiate a deal with your dealer to do it.

But, how long are your trips? Over what kind of terrain? How do you pack?

Only you can decide if you want to swap tires immediately.

My persona story- I got 4,000 miles out of my factory tires before manufacturer defects showed up (in the form of a huge bubble on the outside and 3 more bubbles on the inside of the tire once the tire shop unmounted it). I was written a check by the OEM tire supplier. I replaced all 4 tires with Maxxis m8008 tires. 5 years later, I only just replaced the spare.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #3

The factory tires on most trailers are the cheapest they could buy- Having said that I had no issues on my toy hauler for 4 years and about 25k miles, loaded to the max. Changed them out just for age- (4 your old trailer- 5 year old tires)

I believe air pressure- or should I say low air pressure is the #1 killer of tires. Over the years I have become a bit obsessed with tire pressure and checking the tires.

Once while traveling to SC from NJ- I ck all tire pressures at camp before leaving- (4 brand new Kenda's) all were fine- 30 minutes later someone needed a bathroom break- I checked the tires to fined one at 20psi.

I now have tire monitors on all trailers, tow cars, and rv's. Its a small price to pay for a good vacation.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post

I believe air pressure- or should I say low air pressure is the #1 killer of tires. Over the years I have become a bit obsessed with tire pressure and checking the tires.
I couldn't agree more. I don't care if we stay overnight one night en-route to a vacation destination...before we leave the next day I check air pressure to make absolutely certain it is pegged on 80 psi for my Goodyear Endurance tires.

After having a blowout that did over a thousand dollars damage to the sheet metal at the bottom of our trailer - I too have been obsessed with tire pressure.

And, the day after we bought our new fifth wheel this past May, I had it in Discount Tire putting the Endurance tires on it and having the original tires pulled off.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
NH Maple Maker

It may depend on what brand and rating the factory tires are. The manufactures do install tires that are just adequate as far as weight rating goes so you have to be careful to not exceed that.

I have Westlake tires on my 2014 TT that are 4 years old and show no signs of deterioration or defects. I had installed them as replacement tires on my old TT and at 4 years old I sold it. Those too showed no signs of deterioration or defects. If your new TT has Westlakes on it you should be able to run them. Ependydad and dave-g what brand were were the OEM tires on your trailers?

I feel that improper maintenance and poor driving habits are the main reasons for tire failures. Tire pressures should be set at the max inflation pressure, not to exceed the pressure rating of the wheels. Newer tires also have a maximum speed rating on them which should not be exceeded. If you are not sure don't exceed 65mph. Check for cracks and bubbles in your tires and replace them if they do have cracks or bubbles in them.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

We use Maxxis 8008 and Carlisle HD Trailer Tires! It seems like the Suppliers of TT Tires spend Lots More $$$$ on what "NAME to Use This Week on the Sidewall" than to Improve the Product! Youroo!!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj06 View Post

Factory tires on an 2018 puma TT. Are they adequate?? Or should I upgrade them first off?

Caleb

I made the factory upgrade request to my dealer. They checked and advised it couldn't be done. I didn't ask why, but imagine that it's because they don't keep stock of anything else.

We kept the factory set until we were scheduled to drive 8 hours to Florida this summer, then went with Maxxis at a better load rating.

If your a weekend warrior and trips will be an hour or two from home and you're not loading them to capacity, you may be fine with factory set. If you're going cross country or traveling long distances - upgrade!

Speed, load and improper inflation can kill any tire.
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #8

Kept mine a year then replaced with Carlisle radials. Cheap Chinese tires and their products in general suffer from a lack of process control. One "unit" will last a couple years while the next one fails almost immediately. It's a roll of the dice.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Talking tires makes this a good time to relay what I witnessed yesterday. Had to make a day run up to Sioux Falls SD. On the way back stopped at a rest area for a break. A 5er just across from where I parked, the gentleman was letting air out of the trailer tires. His wife calls out to see what he's doing and I hear him say....NO JOKE !..." Tires are over inflated again." I did not hesitate to go over talk to him. This is their first trailer and first time campers. I know most people realize that the pressure increases with heat...but there are some...probably a small group that don't realize or understand it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj06 View Post

Caleb
After seeing transporters running 85mph. In sd. remember you already have that abuse on the tires. It's not there's, they don't care.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

A few years ago on a tour of Wildcat they said they had an upgrade of tires from Westlakes to Maxxis 8008. I guess they needed to please to customer by offering the upgrade to close the deal for a price.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Grammar Pedant

Keep those tires inflated to the maximum pressure so that they can handle the weight of the trailer. Don't overload your trailer. Don't exceed the speed rating of the tires. Do those three things and the stock tires will be fine. Not great, but not a safety hazard.

You can search and read more about ST vs LT tires and find lots of stories and anecdotes about tire quality. It's absolutely true that the manufacturers put the cheapest tires on the trailers. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are garbage that puts you and your family in danger. The debate gets a little heated: ford vs chevy, pepsi vs coke, tastes great vs less filling, and so on.

Just take care of them. Be responsible. Put a $100 bill in a drawer for each year of camping. After 4 years, grab that cash and replace your 4 tires with a more reputable tire.

Good Luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #13

I have a 2013 Tracer. Are the Maxxis ST Radial M8008 ST205/75R14 C/6PR Tires good tires?
Cjlotoma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjlotoma6 View Post
I have a 2013 Tracer. Are the Maxxis ST Radial M8008 ST205/75R14 C/6PR Tires good tires?
That's what I just bought to replace the tires on the trailer I just purchased. I use Maxxis on my boat trailer now after having a couple blowouts.

I had room on mine to go up to a 215/75R14 so I went up to that size.

I was toying with getting the Endurance tires but decided to let everyone else figure out if they are actually good or not since they just came out.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #15

I had heard tge Endurance didn't come in my tire size. Have heard great things about these though.
Cjlotoma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjlotoma6 View Post
I had heard tge Endurance didn't come in my tire size. Have heard great things about these though.
They do but I would go with the Maxxis.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...urance/p/32600

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ViewSizesSpecs
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #17

anyone actually have the Endurance on the ground yet. I will have 2 on tomorrow the marathons are the same as any other cheap tire from China. Sure hope the Endurance was better. On the road for a few weeks so Maxxis not available in my location now or would try them. In the past as in many years ago the marathons were good tires then every company sent there business there for cheap junk.. I have always checked tires every day be fore getting on the road and stopped every hour to check tire temp if any difference always looked tire over good always stayed just under rated tire speed. have found that heat is the killer not just air pressure. In the last 1.5 years have had 5 marathons to go bad always checked the tire temp if elevated checked air psi and usually tire psi still is very close to the rated psi. but the wire is coming through side wall near the tread. have been blessed enough to 4 of them before the blew apart. Good part about that you can get the replaced for very little cost, but once the blow you get nothing.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #18

Our Puma had Westlakes....... after 5 years of use we had no issues. What brand did your Puma come with??

But I have many China made tires and have had no issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #19

My trailer came with Ridgway tires. The axle caused a problem on one side because the tire leaned in at the top so of course the tire wore on the inside edge. The other tire that was in alignment wore on both edges. I know someone would say I ran it under inflated, but that is not the case at all. From what I could tell, these tires, which were load range C and in theory should handle the weight, the middle of the tire just collapsed in as it rolled, so it ran on both edges. Again, I never at any time ran the tires under inflated. I had the dealer change the axle, which did not help. Lippert finally gave me a 4,400 # axle. I put a set of D rated radial tires on at that point and have been very happy with them. I got about 2,200 miles out of the factory tires, but really was not comfortable with them. The only reason I did not replace them sooner was due to the axle issue which is resolved now.

Bottom line, I do not believe the factory tires were all that good, (of course I do not believe the factory axle was all that good). Pulling the trailer on the radial tires is noticeably better.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #20

I have had five campers and four campers came with China tires. I kept the tires with the right amount of air in tires and I kept the camper under 65mph. I never had a problem. I installed the TST 507 on tires. I guess I was lucky. I took my first travel trailer to Yellowstone and never got the camper over 55, I passed two vehicles there and back
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, tire, tires