Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #41

I'm from Albuquerque and I seriously think you need to stop by the frontier (on central) or grandmas k&I and eat the full travis! You think a 72 oz. Steak is a lot, you'll die eating the full travis dont worry, you can always order a half or a quarter!

Also, for something to do, check out the tramway in Albuquerque. It is a tram cable car that goes up the side of the mountain! It is awesome! Great views (and I mean GREAT Views!), fresh mountain air and of course the possibility of seeing wildlife from the tram. You will probably have to park your fifth wheel at the Koa not far away from there because parking lot is kinda small.

If you wanted to take a little detour, you can check out the Jemez which is NW of Albuquerque or even the enchanted circle which is in the Taos area and it is just a beautiful drive of the rocky mountains!

Let me know if you are interested in any of these and I will give you more info!
dangrega33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
We are finally headed east tomorrow via I40 and would like some input as to places to stay and things to see between Albuquerque, NM and Knoxville, TN.
TIA
Happy Trails
Skip the Big Texan RV Park in Amarillo and stay in Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Beautiful this time of year...and breathtaking at night. Stop thru the Texas Department of Transportation Travel Information Center in Amarillo on your way and talk to Peggy or Anette and they can tell you everything you want to know, see and do on I40 or Route 66. They are "tourism encyclopedias".....also Amarillo has an RV museum that is well worth seeing.
ARICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #43

The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum

Something nice to see in Oklahoma City is The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. Lots of history of the West there.

https://nationalcowboymuseum.org/

We were tent camping on a trip to Los Angeles and Mickey Land and on the return leg to Virginia we stopped at the KOA in Amarillo. They were kind enough to place us right by the main building and the entrance so we got to hear and see EVERY rig entering and leaving all night long. As an added bonus we got to eat the dust they kicked up. AND, there was a dirt track somewhere nearby with races until oh but thirty. Not one of our most pleasant nights.

The next night was the KOA in OK City and the guy knew exactly what we endured when we told him where we were coming from.
Much better night there.

Enjoy the journey.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #44

Lightbulb Petit Jean State Park, Arkansas

Have you passed through Arkansas, yet? Petit Jean State Park is less than a half-hour from I-40 and definitely worth it if you love the outdoors. Park the camper and drive to the viewpoints/lookouts - there are several. Also, the restaurant at the lodge is not bad. All of the hiking trails are terrific, but my favorite is Bear Cave Trail. There is a small lake with canoe or paddle boat rentals. Limitless outdoors stuff to do up there.
2shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #45

I am from Amarillo. Stay away for the Big Texan Rv Park. Litterally had a s.w.a.t. situation there a month or so back. Oasis RV park West of town on Arnot Rd is really nice. Also, Fort Amarillo is also pretty cool, Its also slightly west of town on BI-40 about a mile North of I-40. You could also stay at the Canyon, but for a 1 night stay it would kind of be a pain. You could always just pay the $5 entry and go in on a day pass. As far as the actual Big Texan is concerned. If you want to go just to say you have been, then cool. But there are much better options in town for a steak. They are just not as "touristy". We also have one of the best BBQ places in Texas. (actually voted the best by Texas Monthly Reporter) Its Tylers BBQ on Paramount. About a block South of I-40. We also have Cadillac Ranch a few miles West of Town Between Arnot Rd and Hope rd. I dont personally get it, but hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world visit it.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #46

It's hard to believe that the Owl Cafe in Albuquerque has not been mentioned. Order yourself a green chile cheeseburger!
TeamNewMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #47
Retired

Thanks for all the great inputs...we are enjoying the trip.
Happy Travels
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #48

Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Thanks for all the great inputs...we are enjoying the trip.
Happy Travels
Have safe travels
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #49

Favorite stops along I40

We just got back from Anchor Down in Dandridge Tn-30 minutes from Knoxville. Go to world Expo Park, and go to the tower, Knoxville is a nice city, clean, pet friendly. Smokey Mountain National Park is absolutely beautiful. A lot of walking/hiking trails and will meet anything level from nice little walk to hardcore hiking. Gatlinburg is like a boardwalk without the beach and was nice. Beautiful area.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote