Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
We bought a camper specifically without slides because we didnt want the extra maintenance that goes with them. we spend most of our time outside anyways, so we dont miss having the extra room. have you considered a toy hauler like a 19RR or 22RR?
We specifically have avoided looking at toy haulers because we won't be hauling toys. Comfortable couch and bed and a decent kitchen - and bathroom...big bathrooms are a plus - are more important to us than open floor space. Although, I have wondered how hard it is modify all that open space into more cabinets and some comfy chairs instead.
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Not so sure about that concept. I've read numerous threads where people have their slides in for repair 4-5 month long and then it breaks again. Especially the full length Lippert operated ones that are all computer controlled. Best to find out EXACTLY what kind of slide is in your prospective purchase and do some research. The oldest "above floor" lind are probably the most reliable, but they may not even be installing them in new units.
I should point out - we're not actually going to have a HOUSE anymore when we do this. We have a 12x28 cabin on a piece of hunting property that is going to be our "residence" when we want something without wheels under us. So having something in the shop for 4 to 5 MONTHS! That would just be a nightmare!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #23

Reading your posts, I offer this only because I did the same thing.

I think I can say with about 95% certainty that the type and size of the TT you are wanting will not work with the Colorado truck. Not even remotely close, and no matter what anyone says. Yes, there are trailers that truck will pull.........my daughter has one.....a single axle Wildwood that they pull with a Colorado diesel. Very small. Full time in it? Not even a remote chance.

I fear you are trying to do what so many do...........buy the trailer you WANT and then wiggle around trying to justify pulling it with the truck that you have.

I also am confident that if you ignore this and buy a bigger trailer anyway, you will be X months in it before you realize the truck won't pull it well and besides, you actually want an even bigger trailer.

Just my opinion........worth what you paid for it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
Thanks! We'll look at it.

Keep in mind, for us full time means moving every couple weeks to a new place. The first year will be mostly sight-seeing and traveling and deciding whether we'd like to follow the seasons in the future. We're fortunate that we both work government jobs and will have steady income after retirement, so we can take what amounts to a long vacation and see the USA.

Do you have the 8332BC? How long? How's the kitchen slide do?

As for weight...well right now we have a Colorado. We'd hoped the 7,000 lb tow capacity and decent payload would be sufficient, but there's a whole 'nuther thread on that elsewhere. We may have to trade up to a bigger truck. I think we've decided we need to get a better idea of the type of TT we want and then decide if we need to get a new TV.
The 8332BC weighs 8969 and is 35' 11". The kitchen is on the back wall. Does have a residential refrigerator in it. If you look at the floor plan you will see how open it is.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I fear you are trying to do what so many do...........buy the trailer you WANT and then wiggle around trying to justify pulling it with the truck that you have.

I also am confident that if you ignore this and buy a bigger trailer anyway, you will be X months in it before you realize the truck won't pull it well and besides, you actually want an even bigger trailer.

Just my opinion........worth what you paid for it.
Never fear. We're pretty resigned to buying a bigger truck. Just not tomorrow. My car is paid off - but old and won't give much trade-in. We really need to use the Colorado for that but we're upside down on the Colorado right now.

So we figured while we're paying on the truck now, find the right trailer, match the TV to it if it turns out we really can't find a TT we like that the Colorado will tow.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Wow you must be huge, 2,000 lbs. we have owned four campers with slides and never had a problem with the gas lines or water lines. Some idiot salesman told me that one time.

ha ha Spock. Typo. Make that 200.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #27

By the way, my son played high school football with a Shockley, that was a big ole boy. Played lineman at major college. 6'10" and about 300.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #28

I would go and find a trailer that you feel comfortable in with a decent build quality and ignore the slide / no slide question in the early stages.
I think all slide systems on today's RV's are very reliable as long as they are matched to the size and weight of the slide they are installed on. Maintenance on slideout systems is pretty much straight forward, you inspect the slides regularly, make sure the flaps are folded properly to form a seal and lubricate the seals and slideout mechanism semi annually.
You can find good informational videos like this one on YouTube.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
Professional Curmudgeon

Our first TT did not have a slide. It had what I call a "crawl over" bed - one person had to crawl over the other in order to get in or out of that bed. Using the toilet required sticking my knees out into the hallway. So when we bought our next TT, walk around bed and big bathroom were the search criteria. Our Coachmen Catalina has that in spades, however, with the rear kitchen there really is no living room. Friends of ours just bought their first TT - it is a Summerland rear living, is only about a foot longer than ours with one slide. It seems quite spacious and airy compared to ours with their deeper slide and larger windows. Strictly speaking it is half ton towable but they were smart enough to go with a 3/4 ton TV.
Slide out kitchens have two drawbacks - refrigerators on a slide typically are not well ventilated and tend to not cool as well as others (this can be overcome with a simple computer fan), and when the slide is in, the kitchen is often not usable for fixing lunch during a rest stop. As for moving hoses back and forth, that's why they use flexible hoses for water and propane. Really a non-issue. If you find a kitchen slide you like, don't let the nay-sayers deter you.
Potential issues with slides - Hydraulic slides, when they have a problem, are more complicated and therefor more difficult to repair than electric motor slides. Slides with pulleys and cables are more difficult than gear driven slides. At least in my experience.
When you set up your camper, put just a little lean toward the side with the slide(s) and rain water will drain away from the camper rather than toward the seals around the slide. Otherwise just keep up with the regular roof and seam maintenance and you'll have no problems.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Our first TT did not have a slide. It had what I call a "crawl over" bed - one person had to crawl over the other in order to get in or out of that bed. Using the toilet required sticking my knees out into the hallway. So when we bought our next TT, walk around bed and big bathroom were the search criteria...

Slide out kitchens have two drawbacks - refrigerators on a slide typically are not well ventilated and tend to not cool as well as others (this can be overcome with a simple computer fan), and when the slide is in, the kitchen is often not usable for fixing lunch during a rest stop. As for moving hoses back and forth, that's why they use flexible hoses for water and propane. Really a non-issue. If you find a kitchen slide you like, don't let the nay-sayers deter you.
Thanks for all the info on the slides, quite helpful.

My husband and I refer to the crawl over beds as "deal-breaker beds". And the big bathroom is on the "necessity" rather than the "optional" list. He sits down in them and makes sure there's room to (as he puts it) complete the transaction, and gets in the shower too. We've seen several he can't even close the door because his shoulders are in the way!

Walk-around bed, big bathroom, and an oven. Those are our "musts".

Why would the fridge be less ventilated? Do you mean fridges IN the slide? Because the majority of kitchen slides I've seen don't have the kitchen in the slide.

I've spent more time than I should have looking at trailers with slides today on-line. OMG! The Sonoma 240RBS has a walk-in closet! Sure, you only walk in like 2 feet - but still! I wouldn't want to go more than 30 feet...that's kind of our max in length...and of course we can't tow it with what we've got, but I think that's a given. The Grey Wolf 23MK with the dinette slide is pretty darn nice too. Just like our favorite (25RL) but with a bit more floor space.

Food for thought here. I appreciate the input.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #31
Site Team

We had a HTT with a kitchen slide out for 10 years and NEVER had any problems other than a blown fuse one time.
Stove, microwave and sink always worked.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
Slides worry me. Lots.
Now we're thinking of no slide at all. We have found a couple floor plans we like quite a bit, larger than the 2503S.
Are we being irrational?
I don't think you're being irrational. If slides worry you, why take on that worry if you can find a trailer without slides. We traveled all over the country in a 19' trailer with no slides.

We are more outdoor people and spend little time in the trailer (now a mini-motorhome due to health issues) Basically, for us, it's a motel room with a kitchenette. Even our MH doesn't have slides.

Depends entirely on your style of camping and your comfort level. One size doesn't fit all in rvs. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We had a HTT with a kitchen slide out for 10 years and NEVER had any problems other than a blown fuse one time.
Stove, microwave and sink always worked.
Excellent! That was exactly the kind of info I'd hoped for.

I think we're going to have to broaden our horizons. I do think they'll have to be pretty special to beat the Grey Wolf 25RL we like...and I don't think I'll want more than one slide just for peace of mind, but we'll at least look.

Thanks for the info folks. I'll spend some time learning about the different types of slides and then we'll know more what we're looking for.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
as far as slides not being a problem???... WELL I wonder why a good bit of the threads on this forum have to do with slide issues...

Same reason for all of the nonsensical “china bomb” threads. The 1 person out of 1000 who has an issue with them, comes on the internet to rant or solicit advice. The other 999 folks who do not have issues, don’t feel the need to start a thread about how trouble free theirs is.
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #35

I meantiond our 8332BS. We have had folks look at it and say they could live in it.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #36

After 4 years we just had our first slide out issue. Although frustrating at the time because I didn't really know what to do, we got the slide in and made our way home. I booked an appointment with my local RV repair guy and within two and a half hours it was repaired. A slide is no different than any other issue that can go wrong with a trailer. Go for the floor plan that makes you the happiest!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #37

There are so many different types of slide outs, we have the schwintek in-wall on our motorhome and I am not impressed with it. There is no easy way to crank it in if it fails and the components are hard to access. If I had observed it going in and out before we bought it (from underneath) I would have noticed the rollers were not working correctly.. in any event it has now been repaired and will hopefully last. I think the issues with slides start at the manufacture, they do not seem to check them for good operation/alignment and loading.

Despite the occasional issues everyone wants slides, so if you want good resale value that might be a consideration.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #38

We shopped for a trailer we like that we could spend several months in and not kill each other. We found it in our Catalina. It has 3 mechanical slides. After living in it for several months each winter for the last 4 years (and numerous short trips during the summers), I have had no issues with the slides (one has the gas line to the stove & fridge). None are computer controlled so I can repair them if necessary. I can also manually extend/retract them if the motor burns out until the motor is replaced. Make the salesman show you how to manually extend/retract the slides in the trailer you want.

After we found the trailer we wanted, we shopped for a suitable tow vehicle sized for a potential upgrade trailer in the future.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #39

I think you'll regret not having the extra space offered by slides. OTOH, slides can be high maintenance. You'll just have to decide what you want to deal with, and if you slide, make sure the dealer shows you how to do emergency slide operation if one fails, especially when you're packing down to move.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #40

The slideouts is awesome we have 2slideouts and we love them.
Trina-N- Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide