Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Unhappy Feeling Weird About the Trees

There are several things that need to happen between now and next spring in order for us to order the trailer. There must be $xx,000 in the bank. Our 07 taxes must be paid. There must be a place to park the trailer.

I've worked out some deals with a guy in our radio club. He's one of those no conforming "cavemen" types. Among other things, he heats his house with a wood stove. And only a wood stove. He agreed to cut some trees just for the wood. Gratis. And I'm trading him some radio equipment to pour a 13 x 30 extention for the drive way. That's where the trailer will park. At the end of the new extention, when finished, is (was) an enormous wild cherry tree. Wild cherry trees are NOT what you want to park anything under, unless purple polka dots and bird poo are attractive to you. So the big tree had to go.

The drought killed 2 treees, so they go. Some other trees are sick, so they go. One interferes with my ham radio tower but casts shade on the deck. Half of that one goes.

The work started today and we are 3/4 done. Where trees once were there are now stumps. Trees that were there when we bought the house twenty years ago, that made the kids feel safe in their own yard, seemed a part of our home are gone. And now I feel a little sad. Hmm?

He hauled off a trailer load of wood, and several more loads are in piles in the back. Most of the limbs have been rounded up, but the yard is still a mess. Maybe when the stumps are all ground down and the mess cleaned up I'll feel better. I did note there is more of a breeze back there, and in this weather that's a good thing!

The driveway extention goes in next month. In January a few mods to the truck. If my plan works out, we order the Rockwood 8280SS in April.

And I guess on that first trip, I'll feel better about the trees.

But for now, it's like walking around in somebody elses yard. And it feels a little weird.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Biker trash

Been there done that. Two large walnut trees had to come down when we bought our camper. I have the logs in the back yard,I'm trying to find someone to saw them in to lumber but not much luck.....Tim
Garage full of RC planes
Bella female Boston, Nick male Great Dane Boxer mix.
two girls all grown up.
Wife of 26 years, without her all of the above would be just a dream.
fxstsharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Now is your chance to plant a new tree or two...that YOU choose! I've had to cut down 9 trees in my yard since we've lived here. Last year, I planted a beautiful Autumn Blaze Maple in the front yard. I love trees...but not messy ones!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

I only have a few trees on my lot and I planted all but 2 of em. I wish I had you problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsharleyrider View Post
Been there done that. Two large walnut trees had to come down when we bought our camper. I have the logs in the back yard,I'm trying to find someone to saw them in to lumber but not much luck.....Tim
If only I could get up in your area..... I've got a Husky 3120XP with a ripping-chain and a jig for doing just that. About once a year I head to my families’ place in South Texas and cut Mesquite into lumber for use the following year on little projects. I've also cut of some Pecan and Oak as well. Walnut sure is a pretty wood.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
RAC

Obviously from the photos in my album, I have oodles of trees and sympathize with you. I have taken out about 30 trees, mostly close to the house, or "leaners". Does give me about 60 cords of wood to burn though. The poplar sap, and the acorns are my biggest headache. Of course I still have about 600 trees left, and approximately 4 tons of leaves.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #6

Our lot when we bought it had way too many trees. my wife and I have cut out probly 40 juniper trees, and unfortunately a couple pines....
but they had to go for the house,and for a Fire break...(50') minimum requirement. We know how U feel. and sympathize with U. we felt bad cutting down 150+ year old junipers, ect. but they had to go.
good luck with your project !!
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote