Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #1

Filling fresh water tanks?

I'm going to try out boondocking for the first time this weekend at Assateague State Park. My trailer has a 106 fresh water tank but I don't want to make the 5 hour drive with it full.

I called the ranger station and they stated they have freshwater available at the dumping stations. Is it ok to use water available at dumping station to fill your fresh tank?

I will not use the tanks for drinking water, but planned on using it for showers and doing dishes etc. Thoughts?

I'm not usually finnicky about getting dirty, but I also don't want to contaminate my fresh water system.

Thank you,
Shawn
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

If they say it is potable water you should okay to fill up. We have well water at home but as a precaution when filling up in parks we always use a RV water filter. Their inexpensive and thread on your standard RV water hose and will keep your tank clean while filling up at parks.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #3

Ask them if it is potable. If it is, then it is safe to drink and you can put it in your fresh water tank. If it isn't potable, I would not put it in your fresh water tank even if you aren't planning on drinking it so it doesn't contaminate your tank. You could always sterilize your tank later, but why take a chance. Unless you are concerned about towing weight issues, you should be fine filling up your tank with potable water at home and then towing it to the campground.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

The typical dump station has a water hydrant with hose for flushing near the sewer that is labeled non potable water. A short distance away in the dump station lane is usually a second hydrant with potable water made available for filling your RV’s fresh water tank (likely the same water source, but not in close proximity to the sewer).

We’ve used and drank water from parks routinely for 20 some years with no ill health effects.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #5

x2 ^^^

We've camped almost exclusively at MN state parks and always travel w/o water then fill up at the campground. Also use a water filter that screws onto the hose.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #6

Ahhh, Thanks all

Looks like it is a case of know the correct question to ask.

I'll double check the water is potable.

I knew the dump station would have a spigot for rising hoses and black tank, I was concerned the ranger was telling me to use that to fill fresh tanks.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #7

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands...flyer-2020.pdf

Shows "WATER FILL UP" at the dump station/recycling area...you're good to go for potable water.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
TT boondogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76 View Post
I'm going to try out boondocking for the first time this weekend at Assateague State Park. My trailer has a 106 fresh water tank but I don't want to make the 5 hour drive with it full.

I called the ranger station and they stated they have freshwater available at the dumping stations. Is it ok to use water available at dumping station to fill your fresh tank?

I will not use the tanks for drinking water, but planned on using it for showers and doing dishes etc. Thoughts?

I'm not usually finnicky about getting dirty, but I also don't want to contaminate my fresh water system.

Thank you,
Shawn
This is one of the reasons I'm not bypassing the filtration on my Epro, like some posts I've seen. I can scoop water from a river with a bucket, pour it into my holding tank, and not worry about it. Here in Idaho, not every site has clean well water available.
idaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

We stopped in there for day trip 2 yrs ago, From what the other campers said, The water is potable! You should be fine.Post some pic's, It was great even for the day. Don't try to pet the horses.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #10

Got caught up in the excellent discussion and forgot all about the actual destination until Chris mentioned horses.

Yes, please do post pics from Assateague.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #11

Potable water and non potable will be well marked. Like someone wrote the source is the same for both but it is the distance from contamination (the dump) that makes it potable. All sources of water will also have vacuum breakers to prevent back flow. For potable water the distance away, and length of hose must be such that it cannot reach any point of contamination.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #12

We don't drink water from our fresh water tank. We use bottled water to drink.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
We don't drink water from our fresh water tank. We use bottled water to drink.
We have been drinking water from our FW tanks for over 30 years. 2 popups, a hybrid TT and our current TT. Never gotten sick.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #14

The water at that dump station is potable water, used it many times.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	250112
Old 03-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #15

We drink water from our FW tank unless we are on a extended trip. For an extended trip I will fill gallon jugs at home and put them in the MH for drinking and making coffee. The extra water helps to extend the fw tank and keeps from having to refill the tank with cg water and saves time.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank