Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Filling up the hot water heater

When you go to a full hook up Camp Site and connect to city water how do you know when the hot water heater is full? We are doing short trips as 1st timers and trying to understand all the ins and outs. I thought we were supposed to drain the hot.water everytime but have since been told otherwise. So, how do i know when its safe to turn hot water heater on once we get to CG. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #2

First you can open every hot water faucet ,I usually start one at a time until all the air is out,Another way is to pull the lever temperature pressure relief but be careful that water will spray out.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

Before turning the water heater on run your hot faucets. When water stream is steady the water heater is full. Make sure the water heater is not by-passed.
Meben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #4

Or you can simply pull the lever on the safety relief valve. If water comes out it is full.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #5

Just turn on a faucet........MUCH safer if you're not sure that the water heater is full of HOT Water.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #6

Connect water and after connected turn on hot water in kitchen and bathroom. When air stops and water comes out you can turn on the water heater.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meben View Post
Make sure the water heater is not by-passed.
This is the biggie. Absolutely don't turn on your water heater until you are certain it is not in the bypass mode. Otherwise, you will ruin it it, at the very least.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #8

I turn water on then open pressure release valve and when water comes out wh is full. Then I turn on. Also I leave hot water heater full until I winterize. Good Luck!
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

I use the faucets to expel air.

HOWEVER, I feel it's a good idea to exercise the hot water safety valve once in awhile to make sure it isn't stuck or something. Just make sure the water isn't hot when doing so.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #10

No need to drain water heater till winter, unless you get into smelly water.IE some well water, sulfur water, etc
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
I turn water on then open pressure release valve and when water comes out wh is full. Then I turn on. Also I leave hot water heater full until I winterize. Good Luck!
^^This^^

The ONLY way to know if your water heater is full of water is to open the T&P valve at the water heater itself. (located inside the outside access door)

"IF" the water heater is in BYPASS, you can open and run water from the hot spigots of any faucet all day long and it won't fill the water heater. (but water will be coming out the hot spigots)

As mentioned... CAUTION if opening the T&P when the water is hot! It can be scalding!

In this case though (I believe) the question was asked how to know there is water in the WH BEFORE turning the WH on.

I also never drain my water heater once filled in the spring until it is time to winterize unless I happened to get into some bad water somewhere.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX First Timer View Post
When you go to a full hook up Camp Site and connect to city water how do you know when the hot water heater is full? We are doing short trips as 1st timers and trying to understand all the ins and outs. I thought we were supposed to drain the hot.water everytime but have since been told otherwise. So, how do i know when its safe to turn hot water heater on once we get to CG. Thanks in advance.
IF you drain the Water Heater the easy method of filling it is to simply

1. connect to a water source
2. turn on the source
3. open all Hot water sources (one at a time) til only water comes out. This will mean all the air is purged.
4. Now turn on the heat source for the Water Heater (either propane or electric).

And ALWAYS remember there is NO Need to heat Hot water!!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #13

Not ruin it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
This is the biggie. Absolutely don't turn on your water heater until you are certain it is not in the bypass mode. Otherwise, you will ruin it it, at the very least.
Fortunately, you will not ruin it. On the Suburban SWxxx models, which are the most popular, you may burn out the heating element. It costs about $10 for a new one on Amazon, and about $3-4 for a wrench to change it.

Not sure about some of the other models, but I believe that the tankless models are not damaged at all, because they are only powered when there is water flow (or an equivalent pressure drop across the unit).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info. Was told originally, suggested anyways, that I drain hot water heater after every time. Since then, been told otherwise and not a big deal. We are still new to the adventure and just making quick, 3-4 day long weekends as of now. Trying to absorb as much as I can during learning curve.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
IF you drain the Water Heater the easy method of filling it is to simply

1. connect to a water source
2. turn on the source
3. open all Hot water sources (one at a time) til only water comes out. This will mean all the air is purged.
4. Now turn on the heat source for the Water Heater (either propane or electric).

And ALWAYS remember there is NO Need to heat Hot water!!
Here’s a question: Do you need to open every faucet? We’ve got a 30 gallon grey tank and wouldn’t want to fill it unnecessary just running water. Can I use the outdoor shower faucet, just turn on the hot and wait till just water comes out?
Camper McWoodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #16

One at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper McWoodsy View Post
Here’s a question: Do you need to open every faucet? We’ve got a 30 gallon grey tank and wouldn’t want to fill it unnecessary just running water. Can I use the outdoor shower faucet, just turn on the hot and wait till just water comes out?
You have asked several questions. Here are answers, one at a time.
> Do you need to open every faucet?
Strictly speaking, you need to open at least one point, so the air can escape when it is being displaced by water. For the absolute minimum water flow (and none into the gray tank), you can simply open the temperature/pressure valve right on the water heater until water flows out. However, if you are de-winterizing, and the pipes are full of anti-freeze, you would probably rather flush the pink stuff out.

> We’ve got a 30 gallon grey tank and wouldn’t want to fill it unnecessary just running water.
I don't understand the problem. If you are running water into the kitchen sink, you run it into a bucket. Dump the water out the door--it's clean. Same with the inside shower. For the lavatory, run the water into a big drinking glass or measuring cup, then dump that into the bucket. The toilet empties to the black tank, not the gray. No water is going into the gray tank.

> Can I use the outdoor shower faucet, just turn on the hot and wait till just water comes out?
You certainly could. the stubs off those lines will still be filled with air or anti-freeze. The first time each tap is used, air or anti-freeze will be emitted. Air doesn't fill the gray tank. If it's anti-freeze, you can bet that it will be run into the gray tank--just at a later time. Who would want to brush their teeth and rinse with anti-freeze. Better to catch it early with cup-and-bucket than to run it into the gray tank later.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper McWoodsy View Post
Yes, you will get a the air out and the tank filled, and when water runs out after the air the WH is not full of cold water.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #18

For those opening the pressure relief valve....Suburban doesn’t recommend doing that. Suburban says there needs to be a pocket of air at the top to serve as a pressure buffer.

From the troubleshooting manual:

Seeping/Dripping
If the pressure relief valve on the back of the water heater seeps or drips water, you may have lost the air pocket that is normally present at the top of the water heater. This can occur over time.
To re-establish the air pocket, follow these steps.
1. Shut off the water heater (LP and electric)
2. If using city water, turn off the faucet. If on internal water, turn off the pump.
3. Open a hot water faucet in the RV.
CAUTION: If the water is still hot, you could get scalded in the next step)
4. Carefully open the pressure relief valve and allow water to flow out until it stops flowing.
5. Let the pressure relieve valve snap back to the closed position.
6. Close the hot water faucet and turn on the water supply.
7. Turn the water heater on and check for normal operation.
If the seeping/dripping continues, the pressure relieve valve is probably defective.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #19
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
For those opening the pressure relief valve....Suburban doesn’t recommend doing that. Suburban says there needs to be a pocket of air at the top to serve as a pressure buffer.

Seeping/Dripping
If the pressure relief valve on the back of the water heater seeps or drips water, you may have lost the air pocket that is normally present at the top of the water heater. This can occur over time.
2. If using city water, turn off the faucet. If on internal water, turn off the pump.
4. Carefully open the pressure relief valve and allow water to flow out until it stops flowing.
If the seeping/dripping continues, the pressure relieve valve is probably defective.
Thanks for this. I was about to try the suggestion that you just refuted. I will continue to fill my water heater by turning on hot water spigots and allowing the air to be expelled.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post

Seeping/Dripping

I think you may be possibly confusing some things. The T&P valve is not at the very top of the tank but is down a bit (same as the hot water outlet line) This allows the air pocket to develop above the T&P (and outlet lines) by design. Opening the T&P valve (or hot water coming from the outlet line) are not supposed to diminish this air pocket. However over time, it can be diminished enough so that the heated water expansion does over pressurize the system without a sufficient air pocket buffer.

In these cases, the T&P valve opens itself to relieve the pressure (which would also be almost the same as you opening the T&P valve manually if you think about it)

The only way to replenish the diminished air pocket is in the instructions you provided, but opening the T&P while filled with water is not going to take out the air pocket....as it is still above the T&P valve and/or hot water outlet line. You do have to turn off the water supply when replenishing the air pocket as just opening the T&P valve if the whole tank was filled (thus no air pocket) MAY possibly not accomplish anything as the water would still stay at the same level if the water volume being supplied was the same as the water volume coming out the T&P valve,

This video provided by Suburban may help that we keep in the FAQ section. It shows some water line schematics as relative to the T&P valve. and Mark Polk will explain the T&P opening.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-135977.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater