Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

FINALLY!!! First trip

So after getting my deal in the Tampa RV show, then COVID hit, I picked up my rig 3 weeks ago and this weekend be my first trip EVER with an RV. Heading to Fiesta key in the Florida Keys. I’m excited and nervous, more nervous the parking and set up that anything else.

Any pointers would help greatly, I’ve researched, watched you tube, got a checklist etc.

Pic is the day I picked it up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D5C3D30-166D-46EE-B25A-15BFDD3B14C5.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	233568  
HAF1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #2

Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey, Beautiful rig! Take it slow,Stay Safe
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Since you are "nervous" about parking, among other things, I suggest you find a nice big, empty, parking lot somewhere and practice some parking. You may get lucky and have pull-thru parking, but you might also get stuck with a back-in site. Besides, it's always good to know what you're doing when backing. Even with practice, it can still be a bit intimidating, especially with a rig that big. But the practice will at least let you see what it's like, and know how to turn the wheel and what the 5th wheel does in response to what you are doing with the steering wheel.

Good luck, and above all, enjoy that first trip. Oh, and be sure and bring a pen and pad (or the nowadays equivalent, iPad/tablet), so you can take notes. Lots of notes. It will help you a lot for the next trip and trips down the road.

Good to have you aboard, and hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #4

X2 on "practice".

Welcome to the forum.
Ram 2500 FR Surveyor 251rks TT
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #5

You already have a big trip planned, but take short trips to destinations near home. That gives you time to figure out how to enjoy it.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #6

Nice rig. Take your time and be aware of where every corner of that thing is all the time. Don't hurry parking it. If someone is waiting to get by, so be it. Most good RV'ers understand. If they are in a hurry they'll turn around.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #7

Thank you all for the responses. Yes this is a short trip. I’m in south Florida and the Keys was the closest place I can find as mostly every closer park is closed.
HAF1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #8

With the fiver, you won't have any issues on the road. If you need to stop for fuel or breaks, plan them out with a GPS/Map before hand, that will take some stress off of that situation. We're leaving for a long trip next weekend and I have almost every possibly stop marked so that I don't feel like I am going to get off on an exit and not be able to find anything that I can comfortably handle my rig in. We have young kids and a 4 year old who may or may not give us plenty of notice of when she has to pee, so, I wanted to be armed with options.

For backing, just go slow. Stealing this from someone else on the forum, but, remember GOAL... Get Out And Look. You may have a spotter or cameras, etc, but, if you have any doubt whatsoever, its always best to put the truck in park, lock the parking brake, and get out to get your bearings. My wife calls my phone so we can communicate over the bluetooth, and she helps, but, I have to always look for myself as well.

If someone else helps (often the park will send someone to help guide you into a spot), ask them what their objective is. After practicing, you'll know your rig better than them. I have had a couple situations where people are trying to guide me in, but, they don't tell me what they want, so, you're flying blind. For me, knowing where they want me on the spot (once was at a storage facility) really helps me get there. If this happens as well, don't be afraid to tell them it's your first time parking it.

Lastly, the "starting point" of your backing is really the key to how easy or difficult it will be. Watch some youtube videos or do some research to see how you want to line up to start for backing to both sides of the rig. You'll have to watch your front too if you have obstructions there. Again, just take it slow and process everything. I honestly try my best for pull throughs (42' fiver). Call the RV park before you arrive too if you're not already assigned a spot to get your assignment. You can ask them while on the phone if the spot is going to be easy for you to navigate or if they have a better option for you. Our last back in, the park assigned us to a spot with a number of trees, I got them to move us to a wide open space since they were not at all busy.

Have fun. You're going to have some stuff go wrong on your first time out, don't let it ruin the experience, enjoy your new rig and don't sweat the small stuff.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #9

We went to Fiesta Key last winter, they will send a guy in a golf cart to bring you out to your site and guide you in. Personally, my wife and I have a system and we hate it when an outside tries to inject themself into our system with their weird hand signals and whatnot. I’d prefer they just left us alone.

Man, for your FIRST RV you really dove head first into the deep end with that rig!

If you hang out by the boat basin long enough, near the fish cleaning stations you WILL see a manatee, that may not be a big deal if you’re from Florida but it was pretty exciting for us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0E05475-5C48-454C-9D1C-BD57E0D560CA.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	233599  
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
With the fiver, you won't have any issues on the road. If you need to stop for fuel or breaks, plan them out with a GPS/Map before hand, that will take some stress off of that situation. We're leaving for a long trip next weekend and I have almost every possibly stop marked so that I don't feel like I am going to get off on an exit and not be able to find anything that I can comfortably handle my rig in. We have young kids and a 4 year old who may or may not give us plenty of notice of when she has to pee, so, I wanted to be armed with options.

For backing, just go slow. Stealing this from someone else on the forum, but, remember GOAL... Get Out And Look. You may have a spotter or cameras, etc, but, if you have any doubt whatsoever, its always best to put the truck in park, lock the parking brake, and get out to get your bearings. My wife calls my phone so we can communicate over the bluetooth, and she helps, but, I have to always look for myself as well.

If someone else helps (often the park will send someone to help guide you into a spot), ask them what their objective is. After practicing, you'll know your rig better than them. I have had a couple situations where people are trying to guide me in, but, they don't tell me what they want, so, you're flying blind. For me, knowing where they want me on the spot (once was at a storage facility) really helps me get there. If this happens as well, don't be afraid to tell them it's your first time parking it.

Lastly, the "starting point" of your backing is really the key to how easy or difficult it will be. Watch some youtube videos or do some research to see how you want to line up to start for backing to both sides of the rig. You'll have to watch your front too if you have obstructions there. Again, just take it slow and process everything. I honestly try my best for pull throughs (42' fiver). Call the RV park before you arrive too if you're not already assigned a spot to get your assignment. You can ask them while on the phone if the spot is going to be easy for you to navigate or if they have a better option for you. Our last back in, the park assigned us to a spot with a number of trees, I got them to move us to a wide open space since they were not at all busy.

Have fun. You're going to have some stuff go wrong on your first time out, don't let it ruin the experience, enjoy your new rig and don't sweat the small stuff.

Great advice thank you!!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
We went to Fiesta Key last winter, they will send a guy in a golf cart to bring you out to your site and guide you in. Personally, my wife and I have a system and we hate it when an outside tries to inject themself into our system with their weird hand signals and whatnot. I’d prefer they just left us alone.

Man, for your FIRST RV you really dove head first into the deep end with that rig!

If you hang out by the boat basin long enough, near the fish cleaning stations you WILL see a manatee, that may not be a big deal if you’re from Florida but it was pretty exciting for us!

Honestly I didn’t want to go so big, but the deal I got for it at the Tampa show it was hard to say NO!!.

Tags
first trip