Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

We use the Corelle dishes when we actually use dishes, but, mostly we use the plastic picnic plates you get in the grocery store. We may be camping, but, it still isn't any real fun washing dishes. So, these plastic and paper plates work well for our individual place settings and the Corelle plates act as serving dishes and reduce the washing by a lot. We also found that the light metal silverware works better than the slightly lighter plastic camping ware and doesn't melt if it gets too close to the stove. Another thing you might want to get are a number of LED flashlights that are small and cost about $1-3 at Harbor Freight (sometimes they are giveaways). You can get them in packs of 3-6 and they are really nice for those walks around the camp at night. They use the AA or AAA batteries and fit nicely in your pocket. We carry at least 5 of these all the time. They are also handy for finding things in dark cupboards when the light is dim. Just make sure you change the batteries every year at least. they also have slightly larger ones for a more powerful beam if you need it.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #22

Our TT was new purchase for us last year. We are doing the melamine plates, plastic goblets, and cups when just the two of us, but paper when grandkids join. Purchases: yes to the mattress topper, plus we bought a dehumidifier as someone suggested, a small crockpot for the trailer, plus some of those copper grill mats for the bbq. Other than that we just keep a running list.

2017 Vibe 268RKS
2018 Ram 2500
pbbandpab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #23

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys and gals, my wife, kids and I are all excited to get things going😄
NightOwl42500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #24

When do you leave for your first trip? Check out the lists for keeping critters and bugs away, make sure to have screens on any area wasps can get in, Irish spring soap is good for tossing around in your tool compartment and if outside kitchen pop some in, keeps mice and such out. Sage burned in fire pits helps keep flying bugs away. There are great lists available online for stocking up and what's needed to start with and add from there. My first suggestion is to learn about amp usage and how that works, keeping only a few items plugged in at a time and such. Have a great tool box put together and you'll learn as you go, which is half the fun. Enjoy ENJOY and congratulations, oh and I use an electric fry pan for almost everything inside camper. One elect fry pan one crock,pot and that's sets you pretty good to start.
mchayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl42500 View Post
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys and gals, my wife, kids and I are all excited to get things going��

Don't get too carried away. You will amass stuff fast enough. We use a ton of paper plates, bowls and we each stick with one beverage cup. A big box of high quality plastic utensils from Costco makes per piece cost tolerable. Carefully selected multiuse pans and off you go. A manual can opener, the ever necessary cork screw and old school bottle opener.

We carry a four place set of Corell plates and four place silverware and let's not forget steak knives. I love my little Weber Q 8500 btu. Grill but there are many that work fine and fold up better for transport so maybe bring what you've got until you see what you need. Many of our camp outs are three or four couples and we meal plan together, in advance. Usually only use one of our three or four grills. Lots of cheap plastic ware for meal packing and leftovers. Marshmallow forks beer, wine, multiple liquor options. Hey that never goes to waste.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Don't get too carried away. You will amass stuff fast enough.
You sure got that right!
I was just thinking to myself last night that the 37k for the camper was just a down payment. I've probably spent another 1.5k on extra stuff we needed.
Honestly I don't want to add it up, maybe better for my mental health not to know.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #27
Site Team

As mentioned, be careful with "Cheap" plates etc as some have nasty stuff in the paint and composition. RV plates do not really ge beat around much more than everyday home plates do. We tried them, but trashed them quickly for inexpensive Correll

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #28
King of the Road

Get a portable water softener! Most RV/camp sites have very hard water. Check Amazon for On-the-Go. Best thing I spent money on besides the RV and mattress.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #29

We are new to this also having got our first TT in Feb. 2016. Got a cheap toaster oven and 1300 not 1500 watt flat grill from Walmart black Friday. Also picked up a cheap Mr. Coffee and small crock pot with a lid that clips on so that we can use it off the inverter when we are on the road. I found out the best way to store these items when not in use was to put the styrofoam blocks around them and slide them back in the original box. Then no worries about breakage. Luckily we have enough room to do this. Red Solo cups and paper plates. Also use plastic plates. One of our daughters is getting married so we got silverware, pans ect leftover from them combining households. I must be the king of cheap LED flashlights. A deck of cards helps with rainy days. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #30

If you have camped before, you probably know most of the things you will need, but there are so many things that make your RV really a home away from home. Important things like an electric surge protector should be taken care of first, and we also added an outside water filter in addition to the inside water filter, which needs to be checked regularly because they can become loose when traveling over rough roads, and can loosen sufficiently to allow water to flood the trailer, so the filter should be checked each set up. For little things, we like liquid soap pumps for washing hands at each sink, of course, and a fairly large pump bottle of Purell/GermX type hand sanitizer near the entrance is very helpful. An Oxygenics shower head improves showers tremendously. Also, Scotts Rapid-Dissolving Bath Tissue for RVs is SO much better than any other RV toilet paper, and you can find it at Walmart in season or Amazon year round! A couple of extra levels for inside to check your level...those can get lost or misplaced pretty easily. Plenty of kitchen size trash bags for cleanup of trailer and camp site, also used for dirty, wet or muddy clothes until they can be washed. We also bought a few inexpensive LED clip on lights for the brims of caps for when you need a light and two hands, looking through cabinets inside or around the trailer outside. Reflective window covers for your sleeping area windows and vents if you don't want to wake up at sunrise as the night shades don't really darken the rooms. Print out a check list to use EVERY time you pack up the RV and use it for your final walk around, EVERY time. List everything you need to do before pulling out, even locking the doors, folding hand rails, putting up steps, lowering antenna, etc. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget something obvious. We have seen people pull out having forgotten to remove, clean and store their septic hose, apparently planning to do that last, and they weren't newbies. If you aren't sure what should be on the list, there are some very good lists here on the forum. We like Corelle dishes for microwaving, mixing and serving, and for a lot of meals; you can often find full sets, or almost full sets, at thrift shops, Good Will etc. for amazingly low prices, as well as inexpensive and lightweight stainless steel flatware and cooking utensils. But we also keep a large supply of paper plates and bowls, paper cups and bottled water for use when traveling, snacks or when we're just tired. Enjoy your trips and don't worry about what you may have forgotten, there is usually a Walmart or other discount store fairly nearby, and often items that would be nice, are not necessary. If you can leave some towels, paper towels, flip flops, a couple of changes of underwear and clothes, and a lightweight jacket in the RV all the time, you won't really have to worry about forgetting much. Each trip will be more comfortable than the previous one. Congratulations on your new RV. Wishing you safe and happy travels.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #31

Congrats on the new camper NightOwl 42500. Hope you can have a lot of great times in it. I'm trying to keep the DW from over doing it for our unit now.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper