Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

Finding a campground-parked RV rental for a trial stay

We've been doing a lot of reading and the recommendation to rent an RV has come up more than once. As yet, we have neither the vehicle nor the expertise to risk others on the road. Does anyone know of any campgrounds within a three hour radius of the Baltimore area where we could rent a furnished RV for a week or so, just to give this a try? I realize it isn't the same as taking our show on the road, but we would like to experience what it feels like to live in it for a bit, so we can get a better idea of what we want.
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I know of no campground at this end of the state (far Western MD - God's Country!) or in the vicinity which would have a furnished RV you could rent. This would include SWestern PA and Panhandle of WV.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #3

very interesting

it's interesting that in my search I'm finding rv's for rent, but only to take on the road. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I don't know if I would want to rent a vehicle from someone who would be willing to rent to someone like me.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Its al little farther than 3 hours. The yogi-bear campgrounds in the Hudson Valley, NY rent campers. On site all hooked up and furnished. Need to bring linen and cook wear.

Catskills Camping, Catskill Cabin Rentals | Yogi Bear's Jellystone Parkā„¢ Camp-Resort
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #5
Always Learning

Circle M in Lancaster, PA is a Thousand Trails park and has RV rentals.

Maybe also Thousand Trails Hershey or Gettysburg Farms in Dover, PA.

I know that there are trailer rentals up towards Beckley's in Thurmont. Maybe they'd spot the camper on a site for you.

I'd also look at some of the campgrounds up Gettysburg way. They might have rentals for yuppies.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Found an RV that I don't need to move!

Thanks to all for the input, but I just found a parked fifth wheel for vacation rental online through air bnb.
There are RV's on sites available all around the country it seems, with people using them as guest houses to make a bit of extra income. We found one a few hours from home within reach of Colonial Williamsburgh and Virginia Beach. So although we won't be driving one, we will see what it's like to spend time together in the space.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Site Team

If that is a must, there are RV/TT rentals in the Baltimore area . They may be willing to tow it to and from a local park for a fee. You would need to make the reservation. If it is the RV/TT experience you are looking for, this might work. If it is the camping experience without a tent, you could rent a cabin at a state park. They have both basic ( elect, AC, ) or full service.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
Thanks to all for the input, but I just found a parked fifth wheel for vacation rental online through air bnb.
There are RV's on sites available all around the country it seems, with people using them as guest houses to make a bit of extra income. We found one a few hours from home within reach of Colonial Williamsburgh and Virginia Beach. So although we won't be driving one, we will see what it's like to spend time together in the space.
I have a little different take on your situation. We thought about doing the "rent before buying" approach, but realized that we would only be setting ourselves up for a negative and not accurate overall experience.

Here's why.
1. When you rent an RV that has already been hooked up, you are not going through the hardest part of traveling with an RV....The Hookup and tear down portion of the trip. Probably the most important part of owning a TT is knowing the ins and outs (and sometimes the struggle) of setting it up and taking everything down.

2. You aren't building any experience traveling with a large trailer over the road and parking it. The only way you can build real knowledge on how to tow and maneuver a RV is to actually do it. It's not nearly as hard as people make it out, but it does take getting use to. Such as managing Sway, Blind Spots, and Turns. None of it is hard, but the experience of actually doing it is invaluable.

3. You don't know who rented it before you. Unlike a used car or truck or rental car/truck, RVs are a place that someone lived in for a period of time. You don't know what they did in it, brought in it, or left in it. It's very possible to pickup Bedbugs, ticks, spiders, and fleas unknowingly. Rental units are used to turn a quick profit by the companies who rent them. Especially the ones that are already setup at a site. Last thing you want your family to experience is a horrible experience from a heavy rented (and used) RV unit.

4. Kind of like buying a new house, there is a better feeling that goes along with owning a new (or slightly use) RV. Knowing that YOUR stuff is in YOUR RV and YOU got to select how it looks and is equipped can mean all the difference in an enjoyable trip vs a horrible trip.

Let me explain that last point. We looked at renting some RVs and noticed that all the rental units were pretty much in horrible condition, heavily used, or base model units that came with none of the features we expected in a new unit. One of the great features we use all the time is the outside kitchen. We love to be out there cooking and it allows us to cook outside instead of heating up the trailer by using the stove when it's really hard to keep the inside cool. We love that we have a nice sized tub/shower and get good water pressure because we were able to modify (for free) our units faucets. We love the floorplan and layout vs whatever the rental company has available. We love that it is OURS and the process of moving your items into and our of the trailer is minimal because we leave everything except food and clothes in ours. We even keep a spare baby playard and highchair in ours. These are the little things that you don't think about when renting, but that extra labor or that extra bad experience from a rental will easily sway you against buying one. Buying one is the way to go.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

Another place to check out:

Virginia Cabins Beach Campgrounds Camping VA Recreational Vehicle Parks

Seems like a good way to get an idea of weather or not you want to buy.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #10

Thanks IronCobra for the thoughtful post. We realize that we are missing one of the fundamental experiences of rving by renting a hooked up rv. Unfortunately, as you say, those experiences are difficult to come by without ownership and we are unwilling to risk ourselves and others by taking a rental on the road. The rentals that we found seem more like hotel rooms than ready-to-junk wrecks. (here's a link to one we considered https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3245606?s=eftQ) People on airbnb are looking for repeat recommendations and good reviews. So, we are hoping that even though this is a small part of the rv experience, we can at least get a feel for that basic fit.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

Better yet, find a friend who owns or has experience towing an RV or Boat and take them with you for your first trip.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 AM   #12

Shennandoah Valley Campground in Verona VA has campers to rent. Website is campingisfun.com
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

renting versus owning

excellently put ironcobra

Let me explain that last point. We looked at renting some RVs and noticed that all the rental units were pretty much in horrible condition, heavily used, or base model units that came with none of the features we expected in a new unit. One of the great features we use all the time is the outside kitchen. We love to be out there cooking and it allows us to cook outside instead of heating up the trailer by using the stove when it's really hard to keep the inside cool. We love that we have a nice sized tub/shower and get good water pressure because we were able to modify (for free) our units faucets. We love the floorplan and layout vs whatever the rental company has available. We love that it is OURS and the process of moving your items into and our of the trailer is minimal because we leave everything except food and clothes in ours. We even keep a spare baby playard and highchair in ours. These are the little things that you don't think about when renting, but that extra labor or that extra bad experience from a rental will easily sway you against buying one. Buying one is the way to go.[/QUOTE]
propreperic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

This place rents RVs: Class C Motor Homes, RV Rentals and Sales - Cruise America
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #15

stayed in a fifth wheel

We spent our vacation in a 34 foot RV parked near our host's house. While we didn't have the full experience of towing, setup and packing up, we did get a feel for what it is to stay in one, enough to know some of what we want to see in ours and some of the extras that we really don't need. All in all, it was really worthwhile for us. Thanks again to all of you who offered suggestions.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
We spent our vacation in a 34 foot RV parked near our host's house. While we didn't have the full experience of towing, setup and packing up, we did get a feel for what it is to stay in one, enough to know some of what we want to see in ours and some of the extras that we really don't need. All in all, it was really worthwhile for us. Thanks again to all of you who offered suggestions.
Who did you go through? Or did I miss it?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #17

Pearlbalt, we recently did the same thing your going to do. We rented a fifth wheel at Orange City RV resort in Orange City Florida. We are contemplating going full time and wanted to see what one was like. Plus it was about $1000.00 cheaper than a hotel room. We knew going in that it wasn't going to be like the ones we are looking at buying. So had no real expectations. Just wanted to get a feel for the space. As for the towing part, don't worry. Just remember, the trailer goes where you go and take the turns a little wider. I've been towing large boats all my life so this is the least of my worries. It gets easier with practice.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #18

RV rental vacation

ependydad we went through airbnb. There was a Quantum 34 foot fifth wheel in suffolk virginia for 50$ a night parked beside a house on a working horse farm. The hosts were as nice as could be and we were less than an hour from Norfolk, a federal wildlife refuge, Colonial Williamsburg and a number of other nice venues. We had the opportunity to actually spend enough time on a good rv queen sized bed with a nice mattress to realize that two bed hogs are going to need bigger bed . That alone was worth the price of admission. We also had a fabulous time!

Tags
mpg