Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
ps... no comments on the hilarity of my struggles? It's ok to laugh- really.
None from me... I would look exactly like you. Those windows aren't big enough for my non-triathlon physique.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
I have no first hand experience with this, but the best recommendations I've read say that we should have a prop to keep the window open, pull the bed covers over the bottom edge of the window to protect from cuts and scratches and go out feet first and buns up.

Easier said than done, I'm sure.
While I wasn't worried about getting out of the window I didn't like the idea of trying to get over the frame. It never occurred to me to use the bed covers as a pad. Thanks.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I carry 4 large ABC ones....2 by the door and 2 in the 'party room'......never know when traveling what you'll happen upon.. have been in need on a trip a few years ago up in Canada and lost a trapped buddy in a dually who couldn't make it out....something you'll never forget..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #24

I own a motorhome. My fire exit seems much larger than yours. The wife and I can both get out of it. We put our pillows under us when sliding out. Makes it a little more comfortable, although a fire on my tail would introduce some additional motivation to get out. The main thing in my opinion is to have a plan and backup plan. Then practice them. Thanks for posting this. Always good to be reminded of safety issues.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #25

I was on a construction site fell through a ceiling from attic. Fell 15' landed on my feet. Broke my right heel. However taught me valuable lesson. Go out the window feet first not head on your stomach. Drop even if you hang on to window for a second. I'm not quite 5' but it brings my feet closer to ground and I'm not looking at how far I must drop. Broken leg better than head injury or death. Just a thought. Good to practice.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #26

Fire exit

Look into purchasing a Fire Escape ladder. First alert sells on that is 14' long, for around $35.00. It can be located below the escape window, and be ready for use in the event of an emergency
Miles39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #27
Steelhorzz

Just an idea. Besides the extinguisher that came with our coach, I added another 10 "pounder" in the storage locker by the stairs, and another one in our bedroom closet. I wanted to make sure I have access to one, just in case....
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
I own a motorhome. My fire exit seems much larger than yours. The wife and I can both get out of it.

That's the crazy thing, I think this was the biggest emergency exit window.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #29

The extinguisher That came with my trailer is mounted just inside the door!!! Excellent planning!!!!! Not much good if you're in the bed room. I got a REAL extinguisher at HD and put it in the wardrobe in the bedroom. As far as the "escape" window goes I might make it with a a gallon of vasileen and a large crow bar. Regs say you have to have one but I guess size doesn't matter. At least for this.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #30

There's been some discussion on the forum about the Halon fire extinguishers. They are not cheap at all ($200+) but I've seen them used many times and they are far and away superior to anything else available. I have three of them in my TT, including one I can reach without even getting out of bed.

Amerex C352TS, 2.5lb Halon 1211 Class B C Fire Extinguisher, with Aircraft Bracket: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 04-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

I mounted ABC fire extinguishers at the foot of our bed on both sides which will be used to allow us to get to the door where there is another extinguisher. Getting the emergency window open and the screen off will/would take longer than grabbing an extinguisher and going out the door.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #32

Quote:
We were parked in a field tonight with no one around and were playing with the fire escape windows to get air into the camper. We have been talking for a while about emergency planning with the fire escapes and practicing exits and whatnot. So tonight, we played around with the idea and frankly, I'm very sad and very afraid.

#1- I could get my kids out *if* I'm standing outside and able to "catch" them.

#1a- we didn't test it but my wife could catch my 3 year old son, but no way would be able to catch my 12 year old daughter (not without getting hurt in the process; but I guess if it comes to that- being hurt or kid dying, the decision is easy).

#2- neither my wife or I could make it out. (yes, bold, underline, and caps.)

Maybe we'll be willing to plummet face first to the ground in the event of a real fire. BUT- in practice, neither of us could force ourselves to do it.

Now, for the videos. My apologies for fat guy stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt.

Daughter came out. But notice it took 20 seconds and that doesn't include the couple of stutter starts to figure out the best way.
https://youtu.be/5NG6GEiSdgo

Son popped right out, but this was the lowest window. Would he come out IF he had to free fall a bit before I caught him?
https://youtu.be/FqBkp41R36w

And now, my 3 failed attempts. I gave up fairly quick because that was an option. But still- the idea of falling face first down 6' wasn't comfortable.
https://youtu.be/f5sv1WDEzeQ

https://youtu.be/KlZ0QCNkr2A

https://youtu.be/gKmmaVSSK2o
Fire is a great motivator, just don't let the biggest person go first and get stuck in the window!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Also, as thin and flimsy as the sides of these campers are, it wouldn't take long to just kick a hole in the side of one to get out of.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
That's the crazy thing, I think this was the biggest emergency exit window.
I guess I always assumed they were all about the same size. That's what I get for assuming. I only have one emergency escape window in the bedroom, but it's about twice the size of the one in your video. Neither of us could get out of any other window, even if we could get it open in time.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #35

Well I already know I am a goner if my husband is not there. I cannot open the fire escape window that is located on my side of the bed. We like to open it sometimes at night to catch a breeze. I have arthritis in my hands and cannot open the darn lever. Plus the window seems to seal it self shut. Last time my husband thought it was going to break the window because he was pushing on so hard.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #36
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Put a hammer in the nightstand.....and a very thin coat of vasoline on the rubber seal..or, 303 protectant....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Well I already know I am a goner if my husband is not there. I cannot open the fire escape window that is located on my side of the bed. We like to open it sometimes at night to catch a breeze. I have arthritis in my hands and cannot open the darn lever. Plus the window seems to seal it self shut. Last time my husband thought it was going to break the window because he was pushing on so hard.
Have him wipe the seal with some silicone grease like Danco or spray it with a light coat of lithium white grease. Talcum powder would also work.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #38

As a thought with all you fifth wheelers with kids, coluld a escape ladder that the box stores sells which is basically two chains with rungs be modified too attach to inside of rv and dropped out window? I bought one at HD for both of my kids who live in two story houses. Grands actually thought the test run was neat, especially going down the outside of the house on a chain ladder. They keep these by a window that is furthest from the stairway. The other thing to consider would be a window enlarging axe, bet the fire would encourage removal of some rv kindling!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #39

I think we could get out the window but it's a far ways to the ground from my bedroom window. I was thinking about getting a boat ladder that way the ladder will hook inside the window and you can climb down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #40

Wowzers!

Speaking from ZERO experience here.............

but, if my butt is on fire, my head is going out some hole FAST. If I break my neck when I hit the ground, at least I won't have a burned corpse for the funeral!

And I've seen Epenydad's pic in a pool. If he can't make it, I'm a S'More during a fire.

I never thought of this..........till now. Geez. One more thing to cause my eyes to stay WIDE open all night while camping! Wow.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote