Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Fire on the Alaskan Highway

This was half written and I dropped the mouse and it disappeared. Don't know if it accidentally got sent.

Came across a trailer on fire yesterday near Toad River, BC. I donated my extinguisher as it was still fairly small. It went out but reflashed because it still had the three legs of the fire triangle: Heat, Oxygen, Fuel. Trailer burnt to the ground. Started at the refrigerator. Luckily the folks were local and had just left home 1/2 hour before.

I used to carry a 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher. when car camping. Remember those shiny silver ones? You can buy them refurbished pretty cheap. I believe that it would have put the fire out by removing the heat, as the fire was still small enough at that point. Trailer would probably still be totaled from melting and smoke damage, but at least they could have salvaged their belongings and it would have been towable.

My Forester MBS is too small for a full sized water extinguisher, but I'll put it in my Sidekick toad when I get back from Alaska. I recommend that if you have the room, you get one.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
King of the Road

I carry 3 dry chem extinguishers, one small one that came with the 5ver and two slightly larger ones under the back seat of the Ram.

If that doesn't work, insurance will.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote