Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #21
RAC

Well said Greg. I think some people are against guns, and that is certainly fine. All about choices. Just like stepping into a conversation amongst people who are discussing the topic at hand in a jovial manner and enjoying it, and stating your anti-gun view. Another choice.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #22

Dont' forget to look at the Marlin 39 if you would like a lever action. Tube fed, 22 shorts, longs and long rifle. As for nostalgia and reliabilty the Henry Golden boy is also a fine pick.
When you were checking out the Bersa, did you get a chance to break it down? Very straight forward and easy. Makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze.
If the Mrs. is going to have many range trips for practice, I would steer away from Kel-Tec. Nice CC gun, but after a few thousand rounds they get a little sloppy. Also the only JHP that would feed consistantly for me was Corban brand, which is a little pricey compared to others.
Springfield Armory XD 4" barrel 9MM. $450 to $500 with new USA safety system (ultra safety assurance). Checked one out the other day and really liked it. On the list for my next purchase.
Keep in mind that although the .380 and 9MM are similar in caliber, the 9 is a bit more powerful but less expensive in price when it come to ammo. This makes a difference when much range time is anticipated.

Kilowattkid

P.S. - Hah - stayed on topic that time
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #23

Here's the Marlin I was looking at. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...on22/981T.aspx

While I like the lever actions, I think it's a bit much for a beginner rifle. Bolt action leads to taking more time and thinking about the next shot expecially for a young'un.

Yes I did break down the Bersa. Very nice. I also liked the Sig 232. In fact there were several that I liked. We will be heading to a shop with an indoor range with rentals so we can try before we buy. We are in no hurry. She's not afraid of handguns and has fired mine. I'm in research mode right now looking at providing her with a selection and letting her decide which one is right for her.

Thanks for all the input.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #24

Let us know what you decide on. And I expect a full range report with pics.

kilowattkid
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilowattkid View Post
Let us know what you decide on. And I expect a full range report with pics.

kilowattkid
you want pics of the targets too??

I believe the boss lady would surprise you. she does me!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #26
RAC

No, we don't need to see Greg's shot groups of 3 feet at 25 yards
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
No, we don't need to see Greg's shot groups of 3 feet at 25 yards
that would be 2 1/2 foot shot groups thank you very much!!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #28

I bought a Ruger 10/22 for my 8 year old son. he does fine wit hit, after a reminder course each time we go out and shoot. for a cheap rimfire weapon, its great, and cheap to shoot.
I was able to pick this one up for less than $75, and there is a huge aftermarket for it.
as far as 1 for the "boss" my wife uses a S&W 9MM SVE.
she does fine with it, after she got use to the double trigger system on it.

Let us know the results of what U guys decide.....
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #29
RAC

The perfect firearm is the Barrett in capable hands looking at Bin Laden. Which reminds me when Katie Couric was asking a marine sniper what he felt when he shot a insurgent (didn't call him a terrorist) Marine simply answered "Recoil, Ma'am. Semper FI!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #30

Quote:
The perfect firearm is the Barrett in capable hands looking at Bin Laden. Which reminds me when Katie Couric was asking a marine sniper what he felt when he shot a insurgent (didn't call him a terrorist) Marine simply answered "Recoil, Ma'am. Semper FI!
If only....... Can't stand that lady, uhhh person, ummmm waste of good air.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/recoil.asp

would be a sweet response though
Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #31
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
If only....... Can't stand that lady, uhhh person, ummmm waste of good air.

Come on Greg say what you really feel. You'd like to her and send her to her room without supper
Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #32

Hi
Not sure if you have made up you mind yet. If not let me put my 2 cents in. I have been a CC permit holder (NY you need a permit) for 25 years and a IPSC range officer for about 5yrs. For the wife keep in mind the lighter the gun the sharper felt recoil. S&W has a Lady Smith. Very nice weapon. DA so very safe. One well placed 38 round beats a whole mag of wild lead of any cal. Practice, practice, practice. As for you with all the guns I have if I had to go down a dark alley and could only take one it would be my Glock 23. Light, safe, 13rds of 40cal and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Stay away from any fancy bullets. If you ever have to use your weapon and it is filled with fancy hollow points or whatever you will go broke defending yourself in court after some blood sucking DA and the media portray you as some kind of wacko with a gun filled with bullets made specifically to kill or mame. CC carries a great deal of responsibility. Good luck.

Mark
1997 F250 H/D
44,000 mls
460ci Motor
4:10 gears
35" BFG's

markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #33
RAC

Wow...someone else mentioned the .40 Glock......I wonder who that was?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Wow...someone else mentioned the .40 Glock......I wonder who that was?
Never find me disagreeing with veteran that defended our country. You have good taste in firearms, can't argue with that.
1997 F250 H/D
44,000 mls
460ci Motor
4:10 gears
35" BFG's

markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #35
RAC

I was waiting for Greg to respond.....tried to get him moving in that direction earlier, but he is a stubborn texan LOL!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #36
Florida Member

I know I'm new and all, but if you're still shopping check out the S&W 642 with crimson trace laser grips. 5 rounds of .38 corbon DPX hollow points will get the point across (no pun intended) and the laser sight makes for some fierce intimidation as well as getting into firing position quick. I don't know about other states, but here we are not "allowed" to pull a firearm unless we have no other choice but to use it. My idea with the laser is to get from point "a" to point "B" in the least amount of time as possible. As far as defending yourself in court should you ever have too, well I'll at least be there to take my chances. My firearms instuctor told my wife and I to make sure you only have one side of the story to tell in court. Now I can tell you I pray I never have to put any of this into action, but if I need to it has been practiced once or twice. Oh and yes most well armed people are very pollite and pleasent to be around. Just my .02
'92 Son, Barely used
'71 Wife, spoiled rotten, but in great shape
'99 Miniture Cocker Spaniel, spoiled rotten, almost as much as '71 wife.
'08 "Chug", running in a dead tie for second as far as being as spoiled as '71 wife.
Scuba Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #37
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Stan...I am your friend.
Stan...I am your friend.
Stan...did I mention...I am your friend?

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Sawed off AK-47.. light weight, kinda compact, definate reliable weapon.
plenty of rounds if they miss the first time.....
This is a response that I would exspect from a person that knows very little about guns and listens to the 6:00 news and belives that every thing they hear does not have a spin on it.

I live in New Hampshire, have a permit to carry, have had to pull mine out only once. Did not have to pull the trigger. The "idiot" rethought his position and he and his other gang members left with thier tails between thier legs.

I carry a CZ-75 compact in 9mm. Light, handles well and is not costly. I also have a Walther PP in 32 apc. This you can carry anywhere and not have it show. This is the one I keep in my camper.

Rember, if you learn how to handle a gun properly and shoot it properly, it only takes one shot and the problem goes away.

Thanks,
Dick

dichayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #39
Florida Member

NDJollymon, PLEASE let me know if your ever in Florida. We need to camp together (our families,not us personaly) if it can be arranged. It seems like we could spend a few minutes around a campfire telling tall tales. Oh and I can NEVER have too many friends
'92 Son, Barely used
'71 Wife, spoiled rotten, but in great shape
'99 Miniture Cocker Spaniel, spoiled rotten, almost as much as '71 wife.
'08 "Chug", running in a dead tie for second as far as being as spoiled as '71 wife.
Scuba Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #40

Still haven't purchased anything for the lady yet but I have looked at and am considering the S&W 642. I like the inclosed hammer design. They run about $400 here. I'm also considering the Bersa Thunder .380 as it is reported to be a very reliable weapon.

I've still got time as my wife has not taken the class to get her cert yet...

So far I've been lucky that I've never had to draw my weapon. I never want to have to. But I do like knowing that it's there should I need it.

I will keep y'all posted as to what we get.

greg