Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #1

Firepit thoughts

Does anyone have problems with your firepit keeping you warm enough?

My wife always stuggling with finding the right distance from the fire so that her legs don't heat up too much but the rest of her body is still warm. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
danny1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

I don't think there is a solution for that. People have been fidgeting around outdoor fires, trying to find the "sweet" spot, for thousands of years.

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #3

There's gotta be! I've seen some people making heat "deflectors". Anyone tried one out or DIY'd one?
danny1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #4

In America people think you are supposed to surround a fire with rocks. They learned this from watching western movies. They are often built to ridiculous proportions.

Fire pits frequently are built with a wall of blocks insulating you from the fire.
It is okay to have rocks around one half of less of your fire to act as a reflector and absorber of heat.

I cook with Dutch Ovens often so the first thing I do at some camp fire rings is remove half the rocks so I have access to the fire.

Forget about "bonfires". They are best for Pagan rituals. Build a small fire and sit or stand next to it. That is the whole secret.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1B View Post
There's gotta be! I've seen some people making heat "deflectors". Anyone tried one out or DIY'd one?
I'm sure he'll be along to give more detail but at least one member has mentioned doing exactly that.

Although his was from a propane firepit.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2719927
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #6

DW will place a large opened blanket in her chair, sit in her chair facing the fire, pull the blanket around her. The blanket keeps the cool air off the back of her legs and helps keep her arms and shoulders warm. She leaves the front opened so she can feel the warmth from the fire. She stays warm without having to sit too close to the fire pit.

We use a propane fire pit.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #7

My buddy demonstrating one method to warm your backside using my washer drum fire pit. Love this fire pit! Sits up high enough to provide warmth that actually gets to you and has enough ventilation to provide a great fire with minimal smoke. The stand it sits on fits inside the drum so storage is easy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201018_185504488.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	271887
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Defender of America

I don't think I actually have a fire for warmth. Tough to built a warming fire in an old tire rim that many locations use to contain the wood. It's a focal location for us to gather around. My fires are for friendship and conversation (and sometimes for having a beer or two). But that's me and my 2 cents.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

If I don't need a fire for warmth I rarely build one.
For cold weather I use a couple of canvas tipi liners hung on the frame used for a sun shade. The canvas breaks the wind, reflects heat and reflects light from the fire.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My buddy demonstrating one method to warm your backside using my washer drum fire pit. Love this fire pit! Sits up high enough to provide warmth that actually gets to you and has enough ventilation to provide a great fire with minimal smoke. The stand it sits on fits inside the drum so storage is easy.
Attachment 271887

Hmm... A couple years ago when I broke up our old washer to throw it out, I saved the stainless steel drum. I had no idea what I was going to save it for, but it looked like something to keep. This gives me an idea!

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Hmm... A couple years ago when I broke up our old washer to throw it out, I saved the stainless steel drum. I had no idea what I was going to save it for, but it looked like something to keep. This gives me an idea!

Ray
Great! My tub is stainless steel with a convex bottom. I welded a plate in the bottom to close the agitator hole. Welded a 2" or so (even with the bottom of the tub) piece of pipe to that that fits over the smaller pipe on the stand piece. So it just slips on the stand which was cut to fit completely inside the tub for travel.
Best fire pit I have ever had!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:05 AM   #12

Its kinda like simple math, if its to hot you move away, if not hot enough, you moce closer, problem solved, LOL...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote