Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Talking First big pre-retirement shake down trip

Good morning all. We got home last night from our first big trip in our 2015 Grey Wolf BD. We put in a total of 2921 miles and 20 nights. For 2 of our stops we were parked on family property, but staying in the camper. We spent 3 nights in the beautiful Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle plus spending 3 nights at rest stops. The first night was a long, long, day as my husband decided to run the gauntlet through Dallas since it would be after rush hour when we got there. We stayed the night at the Rest Stop just across the Oklahoma state line. It was a 700+ mile day with both of us driving.

Happy to report that there was no major problems other than trying to get the cat out from underneath the slide while it was in. Trying to push him out by running the slide out would of resulted in a flat cat. While cleaning the toilet I knocked the seal from the top of the toilet. I found it hanging around the poop shoot and was able to fish it out and put it back in place. The Gray/Black cap popped off. Now that was strange because I know it was on tight and my husband double checked it. We heard a sound like a pop and the trailer started swaying. We pulled over thinking we had a flat tire and that was the only thing wrong.

Now time to unpack.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Good morning all. We got home last night from our first big trip in our 2015 Grey Wolf BD. We put in a total of 2921 miles and 20 nights. For 2 of our stops we were parked on family property, but staying in the camper. We spent 3 nights in the beautiful Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle plus spending 3 nights at rest stops. The first night was a long, long, day as my husband decided to run the gauntlet through Dallas since it would be after rush hour when we got there. We stayed the night at the Rest Stop just across the Oklahoma state line. It was a 700+ mile day with both of us driving.

Happy to report that there was no major problems other than trying to get the cat out from underneath the slide while it was in. Trying to push him out by running the slide out would of resulted in a flat cat. While cleaning the toilet I knocked the seal from the top of the toilet. I found it hanging around the poop shoot and was able to fish it out and put it back in place. The Gray/Black cap popped off. Now that was strange because I know it was on tight and my husband double checked it. We heard a sound like a pop and the trailer started swaying. We pulled over thinking we had a flat tire and that was the only thing wrong.

Now time to unpack.
are you saying you dumped sewage going down the road.
? Youroo
Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
? Youroo
No sewage was dumped. The gates were closed. Thankfully also should they of been open I did a super duper pooper clean out of the black tank before we left. Don't know what caused it to pop off, but it was not even dangling on the cord it was attached to. It is possible that a semi had gone by when it happened but neither of us remember. We were worried about a flat tire.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 09-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Does Oklahoma allow overnight camping at rest stops? I thought that was a no-no in almost every state.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico allow you to stay over night. It does not mean you can camp there or unhook and some limit the amount of the hours you can stay. We were able to let the slide out because of where we were parked, but in the truck lanes, we opened it only a few inches to allow us easier access to the bathroom. We also kept our step and handrail in.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf

Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
? Youroo
Electric gate valves would allow such action to happen! Just hit the LCI remote at 65..
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
No sewage was dumped. The gates were closed. Thankfully also should they of been open I did a super duper pooper clean out of the black tank before we left. Don't know what caused it to pop off, but it was not even dangling on the cord it was attached to. It is possible that a semi had gone by when it happened but neither of us remember. We were worried about a flat tire.
On all of Sewage fittings/caps there is a "O-ring or Quad-ring" these can Easily Fall Out without being noticed because of the location under the units,most of the time! These rings are what really compress and "Lock the fitting/hoses together! Youroo!!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsimon View Post
Does Oklahoma allow overnight camping at rest stops? I thought that was a no-no in almost every state.
You will find this helpful I believe
Down load. StateLine. App.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Sounds like a great trip. I feel for you with that Dallas rush hour traffic and non stop construction! There is just no easy way to avoid it. Glad you discovered the cat in time!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Sounds like a great trip. I feel for you with that Dallas rush hour traffic and non stop construction! There is just no easy way to avoid it. Glad you discovered the cat in time!
Actually the construction was not bad. Did not hit any traffic until just pass downtown.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #11

OMG the cat! That must have been been a near heart attack time for you! So glad it ended up successful.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire