Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
From what I’ve read, even Airstream is cutting corners these days. Dynamax seems to be the only company continually striving to make things better and not cutting corners. Dynamax listens to their customers. They give the customers what they want and they use their customers’ input to improve their product. They seem to know what the customers want before the customers do, anyways, so there is one great big group of extremely satisfied RV owners out there — the Dynamax crowd.

If Forest River was to study Dynamax and the way they do things, then implement the same methods of building RVs and supporting their customers across their entire line of RVs, they would cause every other RV manufacturer to either keep up or shut down.

I wouldn’t think twice about spending a few thousand more dollars on a Forest River RV if they were all built with the same quality and provided the same customer service as Dynamax.

Unfortunately, I am not in a financial position to own a Dynamax — neither are most of us, but I’m sure I could find a way to come up with a few thousand more dollars to buy an RV if I knew it was built “The Dynamax Way”.

Bruce

Ummmmm Dynamax is a division of Forest River.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliDog View Post
SO my family and I are brand new to RVing, bought a new 29' bunkhouse Rockwood. I asked a few questions on here about my 12V fridge with the 190 W Solar package and battery life and got some great feedback before the trip and here was my actual experience.

To keep my batteries above 50% at 7am when we woke up, I would have to run my generator around 6 hours a day, one session being from 9-10pm. I had clear skies with unobstructed sunlight, and when the sun was cranking my battery would show 100% on the panel, but once the sun went down it would show the true level which was only 100% if the generator was running. IF i turned off the geny and no more solar charge the batteries would drop about 10% an hour. Luckily the geny would charge up about 30% of battery in an hour.

After 5 days my batteries would hit 40% by 7 am having turned off the geny at 10pm. So they seemed to hold less and less overnight as the trip progressed with basically the same runtime off geny before bed. We would shut everything off at 10 to preserve all the battery we could except a light or two (LED)

SO...the moral of the story is the stock setup from FR will not maintain the draw of the fridge 24/7 for more than maybe 2 days with full sun, and prob smoke the batteries beyond repair with 2 deep cycle 12Volts, I was fairly paranoid to ensure they didnt go below 50%.

Our boondocking will mainly be in dirtbike type areas where a generator is not a big issue to run, and we got a quiet predator 3500 so if not running A/C its not too obnoxious for the neighbors.

Not a great move FR, wish I would have spec'd out a propane/12V fridge but I don't think it was even an option.

On the upside it cools off in about 1.5 hours on solar alone, or using truck charging power, is pretty big compared to the propane fridges, and doesnt have the outside vent for cosmetics. But I'd rather have the propane option and not have to run a generator. On this trip we ran A C alot between 9 and 5 if we were around so it got charged more than a winter scenario. In the winter I'll have to run 6 hours of generator just to keep up the batteries if its cloudy.

I plan to switch to two 6V batteries which should allow more aH and draw down time below 50%, and we will mainly full hookup camp other than 1-2 desert dirtbike trips.

Otherwise couldn't be happier with our trailer.

Thanks for all the previous help
When you say 50% I assume you mean voltage?
Is that 12.06 Volts or 6 Volts?
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #43

Quote:
From what I’ve read, even Airstream is cutting corners these days. Dynamax seems to be the only company continually striving to make things better and not cutting corners. Dynamax listens to their customers. They give the customers what they want and they use their customers’ input to improve their product. They seem to know what the customers want before the customers do, anyways, so there is one great big group of extremely satisfied RV owners out there — the Dynamax crowd.

If Forest River was to study Dynamax and the way they do things, then implement the same methods of building RVs and supporting their customers across their entire line of RVs, they would cause every other RV manufacturer to either keep up or shut down.

I wouldn’t think twice about spending a few thousand more dollars on a Forest River RV if they were all built with the same quality and provided the same customer service as Dynamax.

Unfortunately, I am not in a financial position to own a Dynamax — neither are most of us, but I’m sure I could find a way to come up with a few thousand more dollars to buy an RV if I knew it was built “The Dynamax Way”.

Bruce

Well first, just to be clear, Dynamax is a division of Forest River. Forest River, Inc. acquired the Dynamax brand in 2011. https://forestriverinc.com/Our-Produ...ional-Vehicles

Second, I disagree with your glowing assessment of Dynamax. I seriously considered purchasing a Dynamax motorhome, viewed the models in person, and visited their factory. The Dynamax fell short is many categories that were important to me. Sunseeker and Forester products were in some ways better designed and had features important to us that Dynamax did not offer. Plus, Dynamax, by comparison, was overpriced for what it had to offer, and what it lacked.

Dynamax does cut corners: in some of their products, I saw fewer cabinet drawers, lack of shelving in cabinets, no cabinets above dinette or bed, no range hood, 1.5 inch thick exterior walls instead of 2 inch thick walls, no ladder on the rear wall, no spare tire included, etc.

When I pointed out to the Dynamax GM that the cabinetry above the ISATA 3 dinette was lacking, he said, "it's just a trend for us." When I expressed my surprise that the ISATA 5 did not include a spare wheel, he simply said, "Not all Prevost come with a spare." I didn't get any impression that my suggestions or concerns as a potential customer were taken seriously.

I am in a financial position to own a Dynamax, but I chose not to.

I think Dynamax has a few things to learn by studying other Forest River brands.

Now back to the refrigerator discussion . . .
Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
Ummmmm Dynamax is a division of Forest River.
Why do you think I don’t know this?

Bruce
Old 10-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
From what I’ve read, even Airstream is cutting corners these days.
Since Thor Industries bought out Airstream a number of years ago, their glowing reputation has sunk down quite a bit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #46
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Why do you think I don’t know this?

Bruce
If someone posted that General Motors could learn a lot from how Cadillac makes cars, many people (at least three other people posting in this thread) would assume that that someone did not think that Cadillac was a division of GM.

I know that I made the same (apparently incorrect) assumption. My apologies.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
If someone posted that General Motors could learn a lot from how Cadillac makes cars, many people (at least three other people posting in this thread) would assume that that someone did not think that Cadillac was a division of GM.

I know that I made the same (apparently incorrect) assumption. My apologies.
My point was if Forest River adopted the same methods as Dynamax (one of their brands) with all of their brands, Forest River would benefit greatly. Forest River, in general, could learn a lot from just one of their divisions.

Bruce
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #48
Computer Guy

When I purchased my new fifth wheel by Coachman i saw these and instantly knew that this was limiting. Running the fridge on propane is proven and doesn't use too much dc voltage.

My brother got a new camper and chose the 12v fridge which has some benefits while driving but not while boon docking.

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Built to CG specs? Might be better. And they would cost 5 times as much.

Someone somewhere out there will build an RV to your specs. It will cost far more and have fewer problems, though not none.

Don’t like the quality? Don’t buy it.
It would be cheaper to buy a brand new trailer that you like, then pay someone to fix or enhance everything in it before you ever use it.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #50
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It would be cheaper to buy a brand new trailer that you like, then pay someone to fix or enhance everything in it before you ever use it.
I had a few minor flaws with my brand new trailer that cost me $0 to fix. I imagine that the repairs cost Jeff Couch and Forest River less than $200 to fix.

I find it amazing that topics started for completely unrelated reasons get hijacked to bellyache about FR quality.

If the mods decided to delete these posts and the responses to them, including mine, I’d applaud that move.

This thread was about a 12V fridge.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #51

Quote:
I had a few minor flaws with my brand new trailer that cost me $0 to fix. I imagine that the repairs cost Jeff Couch and Forest River less than $200 to fix.

I find it amazing that topics started for completely unrelated reasons get hijacked to bellyache about FR quality.

If the mods decided to delete these posts and the responses to them, including mine, I’d applaud that move.

This thread was about a 12V fridge.
The topic of 12 V fridges with inadequate solar and battery to support their use is inherently going to question FR quality. It's hard to get around this.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #52
Green RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
I have a residential fridge that I boondock with, I use a combination of solar and generator to keep things going. The key to make this work is the batteries, my plan may be a little excessive for you needs but I figured I was going to do tis I was going to make the right investment to keep the worries to a minimum.

I went to 4, 6 volt AGM style batteries, I set up 2 banks with 2 batteries in series, I also bought a battery selector switch to give me the option of using 1 bank or both at the same time, ( series parallel circuit). The power benefit to this is each battery has 250 AH capacity. The AGM have a better replenish rate and ant effected as bad if they are run down beyond 50 %

The steps in battery quality goes from lead acid, AGM, and then lithium, priced according to sequence listed.

Another trick when running the generator is to have a second battery charger that you plug into the generator and then attach to the batteries, you get a better and quicker charge.

There are solutions, just curious, are you sure your fridge can't run on propane, I personally never saw a 12v.only fridge and I have been camping for 40 years of my life.
Yeah 12v only. It seems to be a trend towards 12v in newer units now. Less plumbing, simpler(faster) install, and a more marketable “bigger” fridge. All benefits for the mfg but not the customer. My guess is the word “solar” makes people more excited at the dealer as well.
ChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge