Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #21

When planning a long trip, after making our reservations we figure out how many “1-nighters” we’ll have before we reach a place where we’re going to spend 3-4 nights or even a week, in succession. About a month before departure, we make a trip to the Dollar Tree and purchase several 3-packs of foil pans (we use the smallest squarish size) that come with the white lids. We start saving at least, entree leftovers, in these. We simply mark the lid with the contents. When arriving for the night, or in the rain, you usually don’t want to drag out the grill, etc, just for one night. After we plug in, I remove the white lid, cover the pan w/foil, & pop it into the convection oven. You could do the same in your propane oven. We usually carry several Bob Evans sides (there are other brands as well) that pop into the microwave. By time you are leveled up, hoses out, etc., dinner is usually ready. You have a “home cooked meal” I have found the size mentioned above works best for us and I can stack 10 of the square ones in one side of the freezer. NOTE: the round ones aren’t an efficient use of space. Measure your freezer & see which size works best for you. Have a great trip! You’ll find the longer trips are always the best trips!!!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #22

This is what we learned on our first long trip in a motor home.

Beware of speed---especially when you are off main roads---the surface on county roads can be extremely uneven, and while that's ok for a car suspension, the motor home went nuts bouncing up and down to the point we almost lost control.

In fact, it happened twice, once to me and once to my wife. When she was driving, it started this radical up and down bouncing; I was on the toilet , and on the first big bounce got tossed three feet in the air, smashing the toilet seat when I returned to earth.

Be patient, go easy and enjoy the sights.
49Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
My wife and I are planning a multi-week trip with our Ford F150 towing our Coachman Apex 265 RBSS. We are planning to leave the Detroit area, Cross the bridge into the UP of Michigan, turn left and head toward MT Rushmore. From there we may head to Yellowstone, go to Texas, before heading back to Michigan. (Still Planning the route)

We done multi-day trips in state, but nothing near this long. As far as the trip is concerned what should we look out for, prepare for to make this a success.

I'm making sure I have tools to change tires, my toolbox ready for repairs as needed. I'm planning on having a generator (at least 2500 watts) Just in case we need to boondock. Will get truck tuned up, and make sure propane is filled on the trailer.

What else might be good things to consider?
Hi Tom and Nancy, live just over the boarder from you in London, Ontario. Your question does not indicate you are leaving now, in the winter. My guess is this is a summer trip?

We did a 6 week trip west 5 years ago in a 2009 Sunseeker Class C. I always carry a tool box with a good selection of hand tools, nuts and bolts and lots of different sizes of metal screws. Things tend to fall apart when you drive your house down the road. I keep a spare quart of oil for the vehicle and the generator. I check under the hood daily and the tires. In the 6 weeks we covered 18 States, 6 National parks and 2 Provinces. Never had one problem. I use Good Sam road side assistance and did use Passport America a lot. More then saved the price a of membership. We did stay in a few Wal Marts, but mostly used camp grounds, never had a issue finding one. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Gord
volare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #24

Tires

New tires on your TT, if you haven’t already replaced the originals.....
MSPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #25

There are some great ideas submitted. Some extra things I plan to take along are:
Two spares for the Fifth wheel
Generator
Small compressor for emergency tire filling and etc., which will run off of shore power or the generator.
Cordless drill, spare battery and a set of bits
Torque wrench for lug nuts
Digital Thermometer for tire temp's
Have wheel bearings checked/packed
Have brakes inspected/adjusted
Even though we have a tire temp/pressure monitoring system, I still check the tires at virtually every stop
My generator is dual fuel, so I always take extra propane as it does not degrade like gasoline.
I carry a small electric repair kit with extra wire and lots of crimp fittings
Of course, I carry a variety of duct tape, but especially Gorilla brand as it is much stronger than the cheaper types
I won't add more to this as some of the others were even more extensive.

C & J
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #26

Speaking of speed; We were heading home from Glamis and traveling up 95 north of LV, NV in our motor home, towing a 22' sand rail trailer. We came into Shurz, NV about 350 miles north of LV and the speed limit was 30 mph. I slowed down and made sure not to go above the posted limit as it was a small town and you know what happens. As I was leaving town, there was a sign showing the speed was increasing to 45 mph. I slowly accelerated and as I was doing so, I passed a cop going the other way, back into town. Of course I checked my speed and it was about 35 just before the 45 mph sign. I also checked on the cop and sure enough, I saw them turning around. I told my wife that were going to get pulled over, but I had no idea why. Sure enough the cop followed me for a long time out of town without lighting me up and I kept wondering when he was going to pull me over as the shoulder along that stretch of road was disappearing quickly. We went for several miles before they finally lit me up, but by then there was no shoulder and no place to pull over. I put my turn signal on, but did not pull over as I figured I would get stuck in the sandy ditch. I know that I was making them mad, so I finally just stopped on the narrow highway in my lane with my flashers on. The cop turned out to be a very unhappy female when she came up to my window. I asked why she pulled me over and she said I was speeding. I told her that I checked my speed when I saw her and I was doing less than the sign that was posted. She told me that because I was technically still on the other side of the sign, the speed limit was still 30

MY point with all this narrative, is to be very careful in the small towns. She ended up just giving me a warning, but it still didn't make me very happy to get pulled over like that.
C & J
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #27

TPMS

Have a pressure monitor on the trailer tires.

Your F150 likely has it on the truck. You would have to add it to the trailer. A little GPS sized box on your dash for the RV tires.

The first long trip we took, that's the one thing I really wish I had.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #28
Site Team

Don't try to haul everything with you. Especially food and water. You can buy things along the way as needed. I know some who leave home with 6-8 cases of water in the truck bed. Unnecessary weight. Prepare for prescription refills ahead of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
My wife and I are planning a multi-week trip with our Ford F150 towing our Coachman Apex 265 RBSS. We are planning to leave the Detroit area, Cross the bridge into the UP of Michigan, turn left and head toward MT Rushmore. From there we may head to Yellowstone, go to Texas, before heading back to Michigan. (Still Planning the route)

We done multi-day trips in state, but nothing near this long. As far as the trip is concerned what should we look out for, prepare for to make this a success.

I'm making sure I have tools to change tires, my toolbox ready for repairs as needed. I'm planning on having a generator (at least 2500 watts) Just in case we need to boondock. Will get truck tuned up, and make sure propane is filled on the trailer.

What else might be good things to consider?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #29

I just completed a 3000K plus miles from RIC Virginia to SA Texas and back. Time yourself around those big cities and avoid rush-hour. Do PM on both trailer and truck at each refuel or personal breaks. Keep you cellphone charges, bring those road side emergencies numbers with you and Ops manuals just in case need to do some PM. I hope your wife is a good copilot and help with navigation and internet search. A good GPS with live traffic info will help. Some rest areas have dump stations and some have areas for truck with trailers and RV parking. Have some none perishable food just in case. Peanut butter and jelly, beef jerky can go long ways on emergency stops.
ramosans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #30

If you are going soon (winter season) and are planning a stop in Yellowstone and/or Grand Teton NP, be aware there are no in-park campgrounds open in the winter. If you are waiting until the camping season begins, make sure you have reservations for the NP. We were there this past October (made reservations in June) and found long backups for first come, first serve campsites. I believe that both parks are transitioning to reservations only either in 2021, or 2022. Also, be sure to make reservations for overnight stays on your journey... lots of planning required for a trip like this if you must keep to a schedule. The previous posts have fairly well covered the necessities required for a longer trip. Love this forum!
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
If you are going soon (winter season) and are planning a stop in Yellowstone and/or Grand Teton NP, be aware there are no in-park campgrounds open in the winter. If you are waiting until the camping season begins, make sure you have reservations for the NP. We were there this past October (made reservations in June) and found long backups for first come, first serve campsites. I believe that both parks are transitioning to reservations only either in 2021, or 2022. Also, be sure to make reservations for overnight stays on your journey... lots of planning required for a trip like this if you must keep to a schedule. The previous posts have fairly well covered the necessities required for a longer trip. Love this forum!
Private campgrounds in West Yellowstone fill up around now. This is about the easiest access to the park from outside. Not much at other entrances and they are further away from most things you would like to see.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #32

I carry one of those laser temperature guns. Check tire & hub temps at every stop.
Also, the legal theft called civil asset forfeiture is a very real thing. Ya gotta carry "some" cash, but don't carry more than you can afford to lose.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #33
Long time camper.

What to take??? Less is more!

DW and I went from Kentucky to Alaska and back, started in June returned in August.. 12,400 miles, 450 hours driving in the truck. We figured it cost about $1 a mile. Had a blast, wouldn't trade it for anything. Find alone time, walking the dog, doing laundry, talking to other campers, working in/out of the camper. It will help your relationship. Speak softly with love.

Nobody said bring a socket and driver for the battery drill to raise and lower the stabilizer jacks. Shop frequently for food, no point in carrying all that weight and find local fare along the way. Take winter/summer clothes. We wore everything we took. Ear plugs if your a light sleeper. Get used to sleeping at Walmart and rest stops. Stop frequently while driving and take a walk. Make a rule about staying at least two or 3 days once a week. The last time we went out west we only used expressways when we got to big cities, otherwise you miss the feel and smell of the country. Wave at fellow camper on the road, helps with home sickness. Avoid all rush hour traffic. Stop and eat at 4pm, leave after 9am. Dont drive out west after dark, animals are to big. Don’t rush, slow down and relax.
Stay safe, if you get that uhoh feeling, don’t wait, go someplace else.

Have a great time, one of my favorite strings on FRFourms is the travel log posts. You will be amazed at your followers and especially their insight on where you just parked, real time.

Enjoy,
SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote