Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

First Longer Trip

We have had our 5th wheel for about four years, and have have had several other campers over the years prior to that. But, all of our camping experience has been weekends and vacations, with the longest being 10 days or so.
I am retiring at the end of September this year, and in January we (barring any covid issues) be departing for 2 months traveling down the East coast of Florida, up the West coast and into the panhandle. All of our reservations are made, but I am wondering what I need to take for the longer trip.
We are pretty good at packing for shorter outings, but I am pretty sure there will be something that we need to take for the longer excursion. We will also be traveling with our 2 Pomeranians. I know that we need to take all of our prescription medications instead of just a pill pack, but I suspect that we might be overlooking some things to take along on the trip.
Any tips would be appreciated
Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Give this thread a read. We do 6 months or more during the winter. Our checklists are in the thread.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2368601

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

Wow - Thank you for the link to this post. This is excellent and very helpful. You seem to have this very well organized, and should help me a lot. I see that you have a lot of food listed. Some things we definitely want to pack, like spices and that, but it is pretty easy to pick up food along the way. I can probably delete the "Spam" too :-)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrookssc View Post
Wow - Thank you for the link to this post. This is excellent and very helpful. You seem to have this very well organized, and should help me a lot. I see that you have a lot of food listed. Some things we definitely want to pack, like spices and that, but it is pretty easy to pick up food along the way. I can probably delete the "Spam" too :-)
DW has one cupboard just for spices, she's a great cook. We basically try to empty our home kitchen/fridge as we are gone for so long. We do lots of food shopping along the way as the RV fridge is not huge. We hardly ever go out for meals as we both love to cook. Glad the list can help you. Feel free to modify them as needed.
BTW: SPAM is one of my favorites, makes good breakfast meat and super fried rice....

Old 08-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
DW has one cupboard just for spices, she's a great cook. We basically try to empty our home kitchen/fridge as we are gone for so long. We do lots of food shopping along the way as the RV fridge is not huge. We hardly ever go out for meals as we both love to cook. Glad the list can help you. Feel free to modify them as needed.
BTW: SPAM is one of my favorites, makes good breakfast meat and super fried rice....
We also do a lot of cooking, both at home, and when camping. I hadn't considered the food at home, but the stuff in the freezer will survive the 2 months, but the fridge is another matter. You are correct about camper refrigerators not being huge. Hopefully we can pare down the food in the house a few weeks before departing. We tend to have a well stocked pantry and fridge. Thanks again, and I will modify the documents some, but you thought of many things I had not considered. I'll also have to figure out whether to just hold the mail for two months, or figure out some other option. I have as much as possible come in electronically.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

MasterCard and some cash.

We took off two summers ago with no reservations, no experience. Headed to Colorado via Branson Missouri to S Dakota. Our only reservation was Branson.

Went out for 5-6 weeks.

Worst thing was the us mail. They only do Holds for 30 days. So, we forwarded to my daughter. Easy. They do it, but, poorly.

Finding, unusual, liquor was tough. The DW and her biker buddy gal who owned the trailer park in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming. Drank my bottle of lemenochello. No where in South Dakota near where we were even heard of it. But she had a friend in Hill city SD with a park who rented us a spot for a week. Worth the booze!

Single malt scotch! Plan ahead. Had trouble finding Bombay Saphire gin and roses lime.

Made several trips to Ace hardware.

Do not sweat it. All fun.

We are funny about our Drinking water. Carried quite a bit. Some tap water is great. Houston was awful.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrookssc View Post
Hopefully we can pare down the food in the house a few weeks before departing.
I have as much mail as possible come in electronically.
That is exactly what we do as far as paring down the food.

As for mail; we have a neighbor pick it up, but have 100% of anything important via electrons. Last year we had no mail except junk>

Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #8

I laughed when I read about the limoncello. Good tip though. Since this is Florida we are going to, we shouldn't have any trouble buying anything we might want. We are planning an out West trip though in 2022, so I'll try to remember that. I usually don't carry a lot of cash, but probably should take a bit for the trip. I also read about taking a bag of quarters for the laundry.
For the post office, I'll have to look at the options at the end of the hold, as we usually just had it delivered when going for a week or two. We do have two daughters that live close by, so maybe we can just have one of them pick it up when the post office delivers it, and them start another 30 day hold.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

You may have thought of this: vet records for your pups. Vaccinations up to date. Fill their prescriptions too. Maybe get copies of pet prescriptions so you can refill via mail order. Rabies tags. We are looking to start longer trips next spring post retirement.

2018 Cherokee Limited 274DBH (2020- )
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS (2017-2020)
1992(?) Coleman Newport pop up (2000-2006)
2018 Nissan Titan SV
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #10

We buy diesel.

All the truck stops give a discount for cash!

But we try hard to seldom buy fuel on the road. Usually before dinner wherever we are.

Plan ahead better next summer as I think the parks might be more crowded. We are planning a two month trip to Pidgeon Forge, Houston, Utah, San Francisco.

Less winging it for us.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #11

Yes, We had talked about having their shots records along, and the flea/tic pills. Every thing else is annual so that will be fine. We are planning a summer 2021 trip up the East coast to Maine, and then down through upstate NY and Ohio. Many of the Northeast states require the pet shot records.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #12

Being an engineer, planning is in my DNA We hare planning a trip up the East coast in the summer of 2021 and I already have the first stop booked. Our Florida trip I booked a year in advance because of the high demand, and I couldn't get anything booked in the keys, because when they come available at 8:00AM, they were gone at 8:00:00.001 AM. It is crazy.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #13

Start saving quarters. You will need to visit a few laundry mats.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote