Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

First time camper buyer

I will be buying my first camper soon and I was wondering if anybody had some tips and pointers for a first time buyer. How to negotiate on a good price, what is the range of after costs, such as freight, hitch, etc. I'm looking at a 2016 coachmen apex 193bhs. So if you have had an experience with Coachmen TTs or something close to this floor plan any advice would be appreciated. I just want to know what I'm walking into and be prepared. Thanks
wildhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Wow, where to begin...

Weight distribution hitch is probably a good idea, not sure what you are towing with.
Take good note or even video of the walk through on how everything works including winterizing and de winterizing.
Price negotiations is just like any vehicle purchase...there is always negotiating.
Hummmm, add on costs could be in the hundreds of dollars ranging from chocks to sewer hoses, water hoses, etc. Amazon is great for this stuff. Don't forget towing mirrors.

Just a start for ya

Ask away with questions, we were all in your position at some point.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:29 AM   #3

I'll be towing with 2003 Jeep Liberty v6 4x4 3.7L engine. I know my jeep's towing capacity is right around the 5000 lb mark, but I'm not gonna push it. The trailer I'm looking at right now is just north of 3000 pounds so it should be just right. The asking price for the camper is 17,997. I've found other exact models (just not within my state borders) that are cheaper by about 3500 dollars. What would be a good price in your opinion to offer while throwing on some the extra accessories? Satelite, surge protector, wheel chocks, etc.? Thanks DD01

Wildhog
wildhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Team

I thought only the diesel Liberty had a 5000lbs towing capacity.
The regular gas engine Liberty has a 3500lbs towing capacity, I believe.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I thought only the diesel Liberty had a 5000lbs towing capacity.
The regular gas engine Liberty has a 3500lbs towing capacity, I believe.
Hooooh, ho!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

It might depend on the year...pretty sure mine had 5k but that almost a decade ago. Short wheel base on them though.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Don't just worry about the trailer weight, you have to consider the combined gross vehicle weight rating (CGVWR) too. I have a v8 Ford F-150 and thought all v8 full size trucks could tow 8,000 or 9,000 lbs. I was wrong. Mine is rated at 5,300 with a CGVWR of 10,600. I was right at it with the truck and a MicroLite 25 DS.

Someone else mentioned a weight distributing hitch, get it with sway control as well. As for price, I have seen wide ranges of price. Some give you a great price right off the bat and others make you hagle for it. I personally wouldn't spend a lot more than you see it elsewhere but that is a personal decision. Watch for them trowing in extra warranties without telling you.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

If you get in a "tight" spot.....Can you put the pedal to the floor and get out of it?????
Will you have to get a run on to pass somebody?
J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

5000 with a gas v6 isn't happening. You better look around the 2000lb or less area to be safe and realistic.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

rvdirect rvone

I am also a new camper buyer. If you order through rvdirect.com (rvone) plan on it taking at least a month and a half longer than when you expect. I had an expected date of delivery in early May, and I am STILL WAITING. I have gone through 4 weeks of vacation time and still no camper. Very very
upset!!
mharring15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #11

Look at a 2000 pound trailer or upgrade your tow vehicle. You do not have enough vehicle to tow what you are thinking about and will be very unhappy.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

That camper does have a GVWR around 4600 lbs, that is the number you want to go by. The Liberty has a very short wheel base, it may not be the best TV.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
jkoenig24

Re price / negotiation; check RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale. Check for the specific model you're now looking at and then, check similar models. The price variation for the same model can be substantial. When you can show your dealer, that the model you're interested in can be had for much less, he'll be more likely to deal. RVTrader.com will have thousands of RVs; enough to make your head spin.

As already mentioned, pay CLOSE attention to YOUR vehicles' TRUE tow capacity (as opposed to the "general" or standard tow rating) found in promotional literature. Virtually anything you change or add can affect a vehicle's actual tow rating. Read the placards that Federal Law requires on all vehicles. When you do tow, ensure that ALL the tires are properly inflated. Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees RV Club runs an excellent Boot Camp. Boot Camp will explain and demystify RVs. Mistakes with RVs are often expensive and can be dangerous. Boot Camp graduates are safer RVers. The time and money you spend attending an RV BootCamp will be VERY well spent. Escapees are still running their 1/2 off membership (now $30). In addition to getting a printed magazine, Escapees have extensive forums on virtually every RV topic imaginable. Make lists! Details on RVs, needs, things you want or don't want, dealer info etc. You're going to come across SO many things that you can easily be overwhelmed. Good lists will help you keep track and make sense of details. I find it helpful to eliminate negatives. Many people seem to either ignore or downplay negatives. I can understand that you're raring to go. Buyers who rush the purchase are often a dealer's dream. If you can, slow down and be as well informed as possible. GOOD LUCK!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #14

I have no idea about how much weight you can safely tow, but I can chime in on some of the other information you asked about. You should be able to negotiate 33% off MSRP. After you get close, then you can ask for other concessions, such as slide toppers, Fantastic fan, etc. We got recliners instead of the swivel chairs that were in the model. We actually got 30% MSRP with the Fantastic Fan and the chairs. We forgot to ask for the slide topper, so we paid extra. Overall, since we got out TT the end of March, we have purchased about $2,500 in items to get us on the road, including all mentioned by others above, as well as items for inside, such as towels, storage bins, cooking and eating necessities, etc. Do as much homework as you can before you buy so you don't make any major mistakes with what you can afford to tow and purchase.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhog View Post
I'll be towing with 2003 Jeep Liberty v6 4x4 3.7L engine. I know my jeep's towing capacity is right around the 5000 lb mark, but I'm not gonna push it.
WH - according to Edmunds.com, your Jeep can tow up to 5,000 pounds "when properly equipped". I suggest you visit a Jeep dealer BEFORE you buy anything and see if you've got the right equipment.

As far as the camper, my advice is to shop the dealer, not the price. Every RV made will require service, repairs, and sometimes warranty work. Saving a few hundred bucks won't seem like a good deal if the dealer is 200 miles away. RV's are NOT like cars - you can't take your Brand X to any Brand X dealer and expect prompt service, they take care of the folks that bought from them first. My second advice is never pay for PDI (pre-delivery inspection). You should not have to pay the dealer to make sure everything works - that's their job!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #16

I personally wouldn't tow that much with a Jeep no matter how it was equipped. That much weight would toss a short light suv all over the road.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #17

As Roy Scheider said in Jaws "Your gonna need a bigger boat". As a suggestion should you decide on a "Bigger Boat" consider not the camper your looking at now but the one you will eventually have. I've made the mistake of buying a truck to tow what I had and not for the future. I'm now on my forth trailer. My next truck will be a 1 ton.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #18

Had a custy with a jeep and a 23' tt. Pulled it with a hensley arrow and swore by it. I would not do this combo with anything else. I like wheel base myself.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #19

When we bought our first RV (Forest River Cherokee 27) we pulled it with a full size Ford Bronco. It had enough motor and brakes but just because your vehicle can tow a trailer doesn't mean it should. We traveled out to St Louis and it was the most uncomfortable drive I ever did. Big trucks blew us all over the road and when in the mountains the winds were fun also. After we bought a longer heavier TV our travel comfort (mine) has improved. We have since upgraded camper to a 5er. Cedar Creek 34ckts and GMC Sierra 2500 HD.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

If buying off the dealers lot, be SURE to go through the trailer during or shortly after a good rain and check every interior edge for moisture that seeped in. TRUST ME. See my current thread under dealer reviews "Buyers Beware"
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, first time