Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

First Time Camping - virgins no more ;)

We took out new to us Coachmen to Nolin Lake and camped at Dog Creek (took the boat down as well). We got it all leveled out, etc. and let the fun begin!

Saturday morning, around 4 AM I heard the pitter patter of rain drops on the roof...crap! I had the cover on the boat but didn't put the poles in (Cause it wasn't suppsoed to rain) so I crawled out of bed and ran out to the boat (pouring at this point). Crawled up in the boat, got the poles in, crawled back out and resnapped the cover...Shew, that wasn't bad, caught it in time.

Back to bed and woke up about 7. Normal for us so all was well.

Then I discovered the hot water wasn't working, the oven wouldn't work and a few other random things that were off.

Oven - I have gas to the stove, all burners light and perform perfectly, but I can't get the oven to light. I can't even hear gas turn on for the oven (stick my head down there while holding the knob to light it, got nothing. Is this a valve issue, clogged line? Suggestions?

Hot water - I tinkered with this for hours. The switch was on green, the HW heater was lighting, but no hot water out of the faucet. Actualy, it would get hot for a second, then cool back down So I finally crawled into the storage area (that was fun) so I could see the lines. Looks like there was a bypass open (from winterizing?). Got that closed off and all was well, except my kitchen sink still wouldn't get hot. Crawl down there, and discover the lines are run backwards. The hot in the kitchen is on the right side! so of course I want to switch this so it's standard but ran out of time, so that's a project for next weekend. Anyone know where these lines would tap into? I'm guessing there's a T at the bathroom sink or something that I can switch to get theme right. As of now, my cold line won't reach the right side so I'm thinking I switch them at the T.

Last thing - the kitchen faucet popped off Water went everywhere! I knew I had a small leak and was going to get new O rings for it. So I removed it completely (after shutting off and draining the water) so I can get it fixed/replaced and reinstall next weekend.

All in all it was a good weekend. Just need to get these hiccups fixed up. Luckily I'm handy and like to tinker so I can get it fixed, but would like some direction on:

Gas for oven
Water connection to switch.

Thanks
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Water heater bypass is turned incorrectly?
Thermocouple may be bad in oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130819_074052.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	38115  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Water heater bypass is turned incorrectly?
Thermocouple may be bad in oven.
Thermocouple keeps the pilot valve open. Even if it was bad, you would get a pilot while holding in the knob. It would just go out when you let go.

Oven takes a LONG time to purge. It took nearly 5 minutes of holding the knob in on the oven before the pilot would light the first time. Now it lights right away for me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

Turbo, when I looked at it, all the valves were open. So I closed the one in the middle
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Oven takes a LONG time to purge. Also, you have to light the pilot light, if you did not. It took nearly 5 minutes of holding the knob in on the oven before the pilot would light the first time. Now it lights right away for me.

Tim
Tim,
I held it down for probably 2-3 minutes but I never heard any hissing like it was trying to bleed the line. No sound at all which made me think a bad valve.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockhals View Post
Tim,
I held it down for probably 2-3 minutes but I never heard any hissing like it was trying to bleed the line. No sound at all which made me think a bad valve.
You are lighting the pilot and not the main burner, right?

You wont hear the pilot hiss. It's too small. What to watch out for is to hold the flame from your match near the pilot while pushing the button. You will see the flame "move around" from the air coming out of the pilot. It's hard to describe, but you will know it when you see it. It kinda looks like the flame is being 'repelled' by the pilot port. When you get close, the flame wants to move away.

If you see that, it means you still have air coming out of your pilot and need to purge more.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Tim,
Mine always takes some time to purge air.
I light all stove tops then try lighting oven again.

Takes two times sometimes.

I bet that cures your wh issues!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbo, when I looked at it, all the valves were open. So I closed the one in the middle
Hot water was running over to cold side with valve in wrong position.
Which is why it appeared hot was switched with cold at faucet.

Turbs
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Hot water was running over to cold side with valve in wrong position.
Which is why it appeared hot was switched with cold at faucet.

Turbs
Nope. the right handle at the faucet is all hot, left is cold. No valve under this faucet. The bathroom faucet works correctly.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Your list is too short.

BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Thermocouple keeps the pilot valve open. Even if it was bad, you would get a pilot while holding in the knob. It would just go out when you let go.

Oven takes a LONG time to purge. It took nearly 5 minutes of holding the knob in on the oven before the pilot would light the first time. Now it lights right away for me.

Tim
Yes. Just push in pilot and hold flame under pilot until it lights. Could take a while and flame is very small in mine. Hold pilot control in for at least 30 secs before releasing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #12

Started camoing at Nolin 35 years ago with a TT, then bought a lot down there on the lake and built a camp and sold the TT. Great lake!. Hope you get all the small issues worked out. We have a new Coachmen TT and love it. Sold the place at the lake and started camping again. Towing it to Henderson Beach State park campground in Fl. this weekend, our first long trip. 610 miles. We are a little nervous abt. the long haul but we have roadside assistance. Hope you get it all straightened out.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Your list is too short.

list of issues?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Yeah. My list from my first time was a BOOK..........I'm STILL buying stuff!!!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #15

Oh, we have plenty to buy still, that was just an issues list. Still need a good rug, more jacks, adjustable step, cooking supplies for the fire and so on, and on, and on. lol Not sure we'll ever be finished buying stuff.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #16

Ok, from what the RV guys told me, if I can light the burners up top on the stove then there is no air in the gas line. Is that true? I'm sure some air could be in the oven line itself while the rest don't anymore?

If I need to replace the thermocoupler, how big of a job is that? Where is it? I have a Magic Chef stove/oven but don't have the model number handy as it's in storage.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #17

The pilot light gets gas from the off-pilot-on oven switch when held in. You light the pilot and after 20-30 seconds while still holding in the oven switch, the thermocouple produces a slight voltage from the heat of the pilot and holds a coil built into the gas valve to continue the pilot gas. If the thermocouple does not stay hot the valve shuts off the pilot.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #18

It's not the thermocouple. Pushing in on the knob bypasses that.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #19

Ok, what would it be? The valve? Clogged line somewhere?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #20

Can you see the pilot light orifice? When you hold the knob in and bring a lit match, lighter, or taper, in close proximity, does the pilot try to light?
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, first time