Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

First time we have ever had slides!!

Do you guys do anything or should I say do you have to do anything, to keep the carpet looking new where the slide slides over?
I noticed in some of our walk thrus while looking at RV's they would have a foot of clear tape down in this area? Certainly not something you would want in the livingroom area to maintain.
I have a Sandpiper 332 RLD, and they are hydraulic from what I have read. Opinions? Advice? Nothing to worry about?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #2

Other than routine carpet cleaning, i hadnt planned anything. When our slides retract they rise about 1-2 inches above the carpeted area. I guess they mentioned to never step or load the slide floor, dinette, couch, etc when it is in the retracted position. It will cause major damage, at least it will on our camper, maybe all slides arent the same.

Slides are wonderful, they seem to work most of the time. we had a slight sticking on one of ours recently, i think it needed some slide seal lubricant applied, we did and it seem to work better.

enjoy
Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
highwayman...

Hope I didn't make you nervous!
Slides are great, the give so much more space.
This is my second trailer with dual slides. No problems to report.

At the seasonal space...most everyone (including me) leaves them out all season without problems.
I like to work them in/out once or twice per season and then clean/lube the seals. I don't have slide awnings, so clean them off as needed. So far so good!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Do you guys do anything or should I say do you have to do anything, to keep the carpet looking new where the slide slides over?
I noticed in some of our walk thrus while looking at RV's they would have a foot of clear tape down in this area? Certainly not something you would want in the livingroom area to maintain.
I have a Sandpiper 332 RLD, and they are hydraulic from what I have read. Opinions? Advice? Nothing to worry about?
I found getting the manual for the slide system is a good thing to do as it covers lube, manual extraction and things like that. Go to http://www.lci1.com/service_owners_m..._slideouts.htm to see all the available manuals. If you don't see the system that matches your's, you can contact them with your make and model and they will send you a .pdf manual for your trailer. They are very helpful.

By the way, that clear tape you're referring to is installed by the dealer on display models to protect the carpet... it shouldn't be on your unit when you pick it up, but it's just held down with low-tack adhesive anyway. However there are teflon slide strips that you can buy that you set down when you retract the slides and it keeps the floor from any abrasion or damage, and you just store them when the slides are out. They seem like a good idea.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
I found getting the manual for the slide system is a good thing to do as it covers lube, manual extraction and things like that. Go to http://www.lci1.com/service_owners_m..._slideouts.htm to see all the available manuals. If you don't see the system that matches your's, you can contact them with your make and model and they will send you a .pdf manual for your trailer. They are very helpful.

By the way, that clear tape you're referring to is installed by the dealer on display models to protect the carpet... it shouldn't be on your unit when you pick it up, but it's just held down with low-tack adhesive anyway. However there are teflon slide strips that you can buy that you set down when you retract the slides and it keeps the floor from any abrasion or damage, and you just store them when the slides are out. They seem like a good idea.
Thanks for that website!!!