Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

First Timer Here, Can't believe we just signed the papers

Hello all,
Here is the story, We rented an rv in souther cal, went surfing and had a blast...so...looked and totally thought we would end up with a class A something bad to the bone, had no intentions of looking at anything else..I mean why would we right?

Ended up looking at the Forest River Forester 3011ds, walked in and that was it, my wife and I both had a great feeling about it, so...we haggled with the dealer, and made a deal...we are picking up this "hopefully the right rv for us" on Tuesday.

Here is our question...WHAT DO WE NEED? kitchen stuff, outdoor stuff, hoses, is there a list someplace, that is way more extensive than a starter kit...I want it all, we need the inside tips, the secrets to a comfy weekend...what am I not even thinking about...I know, bug spray...

please help, and thanks in advance, my wife and I are looking forward to adventure and exploration of this amazingly beautiful country.
Bigairh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome! You'll get a lot of good advice here from folks experienced in the fine art of "Glamping" i.e. Not Roughing It.
In a nutshell: Go through your house kitchen. You'll need to mimic that in the camper.If you need it to cook or eat at home you'll need it on the road as well. Same with your bathroom and closets. Nice thing about having an RV you don't need to re-pack everything every trip.
As for the starter kit think public utility.
Power, you'll need a power cord from the camper to the electrical hook up. You may want to think about a small generator if you plan to dry camp (no hook ups) so you can run off the batteries and recharge during the day. Also a 15 amp to 30 amp adaptor (dog bone) and a good 15 amp minimum, 50 or 100' extension cord.
Water, get a couple of 25' "fresh water" hoses. Usually one will will be enough but sometimes the hook ups are just a bit too far. Also 2, 5 gallon water cans for hauling water in if needed.
Sewer, get a GOOD dump hose. We use the Rino brand but don't skimp on this one. 25' should do it and watch the on line videos about "Cleaning the Black Tank". Very important to do this right. Plus a 25' dirty water hose. Never use the fresh water hose for cleaning the black tank or dump hose. Cross contamination can be a real problem and a separate hose is a must.
Tools, put a tool box together and keep it in the camper. The good news is most of this can be bought at very reasonable prices at the local Walmart.
There are number of online lists and we wound up using some suggestions form several.
Finally, don't forget the camera!
Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1658.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	92720  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Nice electric heater, X-Chocks for your wheels, good quality pressure regulator, wireless thermometer for fridge, comfy blankets, portable ice machine and the list goes on.

Driveway camp for a night or two and you'll see what you need. Remember there's almost always a close by store when camping and Amazon is your friend.

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the family.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Retired

All great info above. We just finished our first season. We are not minimalist BUT we don't take everything we think we may need. We purchased non breakable dishware which includes wine glasses, mugs, etc. (Coralware)
Cast iron spiders are out, electric frying pan and crock pot are in. Glass bottles are out (except wine) aluminum containers are in. Ceramic heater, torque wrench (wheel lugs) a good pressure gauge for TT&TV, a good sense of humor are all important.
Enjoy your new TT.
Happy Trails
Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Mainlyus: There's a lot of pretty good wine in boxes, like Black Box, and it fits great in small spaces.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Team

I'm not a minimalist either but I try to travel light. Less to deal with before, during and after the trip.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Definitely a good sewer hose (Rhino makes an outstanding one with all of the necessary connectors you need), a collapsible sewer hose support and two fresh drinking water hoses in case the water spigots are a long way away (happened to us several times). Your electric line should come with the trailer but check anyway. I put together a small plastic storage box with parts for the fresh water connection (two pressure regulators, screened hose washers, an elbow hose connector for the city water connection, the water filter wrench, etc.). It has a snap-on lid. Try to organize loose things in plastic boxes. Definitely a tool kit with a torque wrench. Some prefer an hydraulic bottle jack. I also carry three (3) packs of Lynx Levelers for your stabilizer jacks and for leveling your rig. Also get a torpedo or short carpenter's level for checking the level of the trailer before getting levels installed on your unit. I also carry a head lamp (Eveready makes a nice one) that you can slip over your head for lighting things after dark and keeping your hands free with connecting and unhitching the trailer. Those are very handy!!!

For cooking, we went with light-weight dishes (Corelle is an excellent choice for dishes - durable and microwave safe) and aluminum cook wear. We are using Lexan utensils from Coleman (setting for four).
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

These all good replies. You will forget somethings and that's ok. Try to find a campground that's as close as possible to your home for the first trip or two. So you can run back if something is needed. And by all means don't forget the wine or beer. 😁

Tim
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CCLB dually
2015 39R12 Vengeance touring edition.
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Class C Representative

Congratulations on the new rig!
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Set of awning tie down poles and an awning pole attaching kit.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
Retired

Corelle wear not coralwear is an excellent chose of dishes...elchilro53 is correct.
Following up on riznfall shake-down trips we did our first couple in our driveway...great way to learn about your TT, backing in & out of your space and what you really need or not...
Have fun
Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
geezer with gadgets

Your board, board shorts (unless you are into surfing naked ), good board wax, sunshine, good swells, etc.

The main thing is to just have fun! You aren't going to be on a desert island for your first few trips, so just take what you think you need and then stop at Walmart (RV Section), Dollar Tree, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. as things come up. It's too easy to spend a lot of $$$ early on in this adventure and then not use half the stuff. As I said, Just have fun!

Enjoy your new Class C and shaka!

(retired wanna be surfer )

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

'Biggairth20' ...Quote: "Here is our question...WHAT DO WE NEED? kitchen stuff, outdoor stuff, hoses, is there a list someplace, that is way more extensive than a starter kit...I want it all, we need the inside tips, the secrets to a comfy weekend...what am I not even thinking about...I know, bug spray..."
----------------------------------------------------------------
The list could be endless but make an effort to keep it light .

Now that you are fitting out your rig go to the Dollar Store
and buy some 'pool noodles' ... - why -... you ask, well they are one of the best things to use to help stow :verb-Fill by packing tightly: everything and more.

They can be cut and shaped easily ...use inside and out
They are light...bring extra, you will be surprised where you can use'em
They are cheap...buy lots, good to use at home too

Hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #14

Silicone, microwavable and collapsible are the key words for kitchen needs. The Rachel Ray garbage bowl works perfect for a dish washing bowl.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post

Driveway camp for a night or two and you'll see what you need. Remember there's almost always a close by store when camping and Amazon is your friend.
Definitely! We found a lot of items we wanted and needed while we did that. The only thing we forgot to bring for our first 'real' camping trip was a corkscrew for the wine!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

I try to freeze leftovers the month or two before so that I have dinners that just need to be heated up. You have everything you need in the RV but it is not the same as home.
gpalladinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #17

I found a complete set of Corelle, for four, at our local Goodwill store. They also a few other kitchen and BBQ pieces. Check out plastic buckets/boxes to hold stuff under the sink like liquids or sponges, etc.
Have fun and welcome to the group.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
jkoenig24

You can "RV" in your driveway for a weekend. Keep a written list as you realize things you've forgotten (you can step back into your house briefly to retrieve the item). Find and attend an RV Boot Camp! Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. A Boot Camp will explain and "demystify" all the systems found in a modern RV. RV Boot Camp will be time and money VERY well spent. The Escapees RV Club runs an excellent Boot Camp (other groups offer Boot Camps too). www.RV101Education.com run by Mark Polk and, RV Travel - News, information & advice for RV enthusiasts run by Chuck Woodbury are also great resources for RVers. Join FROG ~ Forest River Owners Group. Don't go too far afield for your first two or three trips. That way, you won't be 50 miles (or more) from civilization, should you realize you've forgotten something important. Finally, RELAX and enjoy your new RV. Welcome!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

We just bought a travel trailer and went camping for the first time in April so we just went through all of this.

If there is a Camping World Store nearby go there and just wander around. My advice is just make a list from there with what you want and then look for it on Amazon. (Amazon Prime will be your best friend). Camco brand makes all kinds of things like this that I use for my dishes http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43601-St...v+dish+storage

If you get the Amazon app on your phone you can scan bar codes in the CW store and see if Amazon offers it and at what price. Just keep in mind when shopping that your storage is limited.
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #20

I have an "office kit" that's a small pencil box with rubber bands, mini stapler, post it notes, bulldog clips, paper clips, pens and pencils, scotch tape, etc. I also carry a small bottle of bleach (not splash-less!), Simple green, dish soap, liquid soap and disinfectant wipes in a bucket. I bought a small table lamp - lighting is often harsh in campers. Small, sealed, see-through containers for flour, sugar, Bisquick, rice, oatmeal. Don't forget foil, plastic wrap, a few zip lock bags, and a couple of containers for leftovers. We have an R-Pod so storage is very limited.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time