Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

First Visit to Trailer, Newbie (working on my checklist)

ok, if all goes as planned our trailer will move to its site today! And we will go to it on Friday. Located in South Jersey. Was supposed to be there when the trailer was setup, but when we switched to the current campground (changed our mind last minute), I was told they are busy (which I understand) and "they move it when they move it and set it up when they set it up", so I would not be able to be there when they did this. This has me a bit paranoid that I am going to mess something up. I have done a ton of reading, watching videos, and, as you have probably seen, asking questions. As far as I know, the trailer has been de-winterized. Before the trailer was moved from the dealer we purchased it from, I did the final walk through. I did not think to ask if had been de winterized, but I did call yesterday and was told it was. Not sure if this means the water system has been sanitized.

I am under the impression that the sewage hose will be set up and the fresh water hose will be added.

Working on my checklist when I get to the trailer

-I have purchased an EMS, so I will set that up when I get there. Need to get a lock for this.
-I have not yet purchased a water pressure regulator (I will search the forums for the many recs that I am sure are on here).

Everything I read says no power on until the city water is hooked up and the water tank is filled. A mistake here can destroy the water heater's heating element. So I need to make sure that the tank for the hot water is full. I have learned (I think) that I could be hooked up to city water and if the water heater bypass is still in it winterized position, the water heater will not get any water.

So as far checking to see if the water tank is full, I read that I can open the "pop valve" to see if any water comes out. Is this accurate? Anything I need to be aware of before doing this?

After that, my plan is check to make sure that everything else is set up.

The new campground has a ton going on for the kids, but dealing with the service people has not been fun. I think they are overwhelmed and not super comfortable dealing with customers. I understand that, but it can be frustrating because unlike on here- where questions are encouraged- some of these guys seem less than open to questions. I am going to take nothing for granted and check as much as I can.

-I need to get the propane filled. Have no idea how much is in there.
-I also noticed during the walk through that the anode rod seemed really degraded.
-I am not sure what kind of shape the battery (or batteries..?) is in. A way to check this?

In my situation, what are some other things I should be checking/doing during this first visit?

Thanks for all of your help!
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #2

Being seasonal going on 10 years a couple things:
* doubt they will hook up sewer and water hoses
* if your water hose is hooked to city water inlet your on board water tank shouldn't
fill, no need to if your hooked to city water. If it does there is a problem with the
check valve on the water pump which you don't run when on city water.
* you don't mention the year or model of your camper but many have a switch on
the water heater itself to turn on the electricity to your water heater. This is in
addition to the interior switch to run water heater on electric. This is meant as a
reminder to fill the water heater tank first to prevent burning out the heating
element.
* most campgrounds are equipped to fill LP tanks.
* campground employees work for the campground, many aren't familiar with how
camper systems work. Your best bet for help at the campground is fellow campers
who will probably be happy to help. Plus it's a great ice breaker.
* water heater anode wear diagram:
Click image for larger version

Name:	anode rod.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	134529
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

As Wiscampsin pointed out, the water heater has an on/off switch located on the heater itself. So as long as that is in the off position, which it should be when your camper's not in use whether there's water in the heater or not, it doesn't matter if you have the shore powere plugged in or not.
Turn on your water and open the safety relief valve until water comes out oif it. That ensures the air is out of the heater. Air in the heater is just as bad as no water in the heater.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, newbie, trailer