Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

First weekend out with the Wolf Pack 27WP

I loaded up the Honda Rincon and the Polaris RZR in the Wolf Pack 27WP and headed up to ride in Wolf Pen Gap outside of Mena, Arkansas. The toys fit in the back just fine. I had added helper springs and Bilstein shock to my pickup since I had picked up the trailer at the dealer. They really made a big difference in how the rig pulled down the road even though I was unknowingly overweight on the trip up (I will get back to the reason for this.)

When we made our first stop for fuel, we noticed that the plastic access panel to the back of the refrigerator had blown off. I figured that if that was the worst thing that happened this trip, I will be more than happy to buy a new piece of plastic.

We got to the campground and I was real pleased at how easy it was to get everything unloaded and set up especially being the first time.

The weekend went great. Everything in the trailer worked. It was nice to take a shower in the trailer vs. the community shower in the campground. I went to dump my grey water tank after we had taken a shower (not because the tanks were full, just because I wanted to) and I inadvertently dumped the black water tank instead. First timer mistake, no harm done. I just dropped another treatment pack in the toilet and was good to go.

When we got ready to leave, after I had dumped both tanks. I went in and checked the panel inside where you press the button to check the level just to verify that they were showing empty. I also checked the freshwater tank and was somewhat surprised to see that it was showing 3/4 full. I had never added water to it. I shut off the CG water and turned the pump on and lo and behold I had fresh water in the tank. The dealer had obviously added water to the tank before I picked it up to check for leaks. The water is why I was overweight on the trip up.

On the way home there was a noticable difference in how the trailer pulled given that there was no water in the tank.

I did notice a few nit picking things about the trailer after I washed it when I got home that I will take care of. Nothing worth a trip to the dealer. There are also some modifications that I will look at doing as well.

Overall, I would call the maiden voyage a success.

I called the selling dealer about the plastic access panel and they told me that it could be one of three different sizes and that I should measure it. I was hoping to be able to order it over the phone since the selling dealer is 300 miles away from me. I guess I will take some pics and measurements and go to a local RV dealer. I would imagine that it is not that uncommon for these things to blow off.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #2

Nice review, glad it went relatively well!!!

I am looking at the same TT, what are you towing it with??? Where did you get it etc..

Thanks in advance
Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Nice review, glad it went relatively well!!!

I am looking at the same TT, what are you towing it with??? Where did you get it etc..

Thanks in advance
Jim
I got the trailer at Daves RV in Claremore, OK. When we were looking for a trailer, there were only a few dealers who had any in stock. Of course, everyone told me that they could order one for me. This dealer is about 300 miles from me so I am hoping that I do not need any warranty work. If I was closer, I would definitely use this dealer.

I am pulling this trailer with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Laramie, 5.7l, 3.92 gears, towing package. I have replaced the shocks with Bilstein shocks and have added Helwig 2500lb helper springs. I would highly reccomend the spring upgrade if you are planning on using a 1/2 ton pickup. The back end squatted down quite a bit on the way home from the dealer even with a weight distribution hitch. I have also upgraded my tires to an LT from the P series tire that were originally on the truck. Gas mileage is not very good. I get about 8.5-9 but if there is a strong wind, it will drop down to 7. The truck has plenty of power to pull the trailer. I am just glad that I have a 34 gallon gas tank.

This trailer did not come with front stabilzer jacks. I have read that others with this smae model did not come with front jacks either. I ordered a pair from Amazon.com and bolted them to the front of the frame.

I did get a flat on my second trip. I picked up a sharp rock either in the campground or on the road to the campground. I noticed the flat the first morning after we arrived. The spare was easy to drop down from under the rear. Its kinda nice the the bolt on the pulley to drop the spare down is the same size as the lug nuts. I now know I need to get a bottle jack to carry with me as well. My 2 ton aluminum floor jack is not quite up to the task of lifting the side of the trailer. I am glad the flat happened in the campground instead of the side of the road. It was nice to be able to change it without feeling rushed or in danger from passing traffic.

So far, I am very happy with my purchase.

One complaint that I have is that the bypass valve for the water heater does not look like it going to be easy to get to. I will have to figure that out pretty soon when it is time to winterize.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. 5.7 Hemi, Helwig 2500lb springs, Bilstein shocks, Superchips Flashpaq.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply and you were very informative. You just about answered all my questions.

Thanks again
Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote